• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chillz, JSmith, Marvin

Swatguy

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

But when you talk about players such as chilldress and smoove you here hustle, heart, and not afraid to mix it up down low for rebounds and on defense.

That is partially true.

But the big problem i have when people discuss Childress is this so called "versatility" which simply doesn't exist. Childress is extremely limited offensively. He can't beat guys one on one at all and has no playmaking ability to speak of yet people continue to act like he can play the point. He can't.

He definitely can't guard the point either.

Quote:

You never hear these characteristics when someone talks about Marvin. That is my biggest problem with the guy.

Marvin certainly lacks aggression and assertiveness. Sort of like JJ early in his career. Does that mean he will mature like JJ? No, but it is a possibility.

I feel like i know the game fairly well and have watched all the Hawks games yet i still don't really have a read on Marvin. Right now i can't project with any confidence what kind of player he will be.

This is pretty much my view. I just don't see this great versatility out of Chillz in terms of positional flexibility (he is a poor PG, a subpar SG and a solid SF) or in terms of his game (he shoots open jumpshots and layups which is about as diverse as Marvin's repetoire).

JJ is versatile with his playmaking skills. Josh Smith is versatile with his defense. I just don't see that type of versatility in Chillz. He seems more like a very solid role player to me than a versatile weapon.

My point with the stats is not that they are not the "be all, end all" of analysis but that this supposed versatllity doesn't show up at all for Childress in the numbers like it does for other versatile people such as JJ and Josh Smith.

As for chillz versatility I'm not understanding why you guys can't see it.By no means am I saying the guy is on par with JJ or Smoove as far as it goes. But I will defend chillz by saying:

1. He has played 1-3 for the Hawks at some point.

2. He does rebound well for his position

3. His feet are slow...Lol.But his defense is servicable

4. Finishes much better than he did his rookie season. You guys remember that weak display?

I'm not saying this guy is great. But he has done what Sheldon,Marvin,Salim and others must do and that is find there role on this team and work to perfect it. You can't say the same for many players on this team and that is a big problem. That is as much a Mike Woodson problem as it is a players problem though.

Quote:

1. He has played 1-3 for the Hawks at some point.

So what? Just because he played the point doesn't mean anything. If he had played it well then it would be relevant.

His playmaking ability is poor even for a 2/3 and he has to be set up for scores. He can't create for himself at all or for others.

Quote:

Quote:

He can't create for himself at all or for others.

Sounds like him and Marvin have some of the same things to work on then.

Marvin can create much more easily that Childress. There isn't even a comparison.

When Marvin is on the perimeter and a man is on him he can still shoot a jumper right over him. No way Childress could do that.

Marvin can also drive right by a defender (although he will have trouble finishing). Childress can't. Even if Childress actually had foot speed he wouldn't be able to beat people off the dribble since they can play off him because of his shot.

And he's played some time at "point" because we haven't had a healthy point guard some many different times, not becuase he's good at it. And he doesn't really play point, he just brings the ball up sometimes (which Marvin has done as well), and has defended a PG before.

I think there's some level of versatility to Childress' game, but its more on the basic level of: he scores, he rebounds, he defends (though he's overrated as a defender, he simply can't keep a penetrating player in front of him and gets outmuscled by some weak dudes), he handles the ball. He doesn't do any of those things really well, but he's not horrible at any of them.

But let's face it, he's not a PG on any other team, and he's not a traditional 2 guard by any means. He's a forward that can do some things a perimeter player is supposed to do.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He can't create for himself at all or for others.

Sounds like him and Marvin have some of the same things to work on then.

Marvin can create much more easily that Childress. There isn't even a comparison.

When Marvin is on the perimeter and a man is on him he can still shoot a jumper right over him. No way Childress could do that.

Marvin can also drive right by a defender (although he will have trouble finishing). Childress can't. Even if Childress actually had foot speed he wouldn't be able to beat people off the dribble since they can play off him because of his shot.

I actually agree that chillz can't create his own shot. But I haven't seen Marvin like you have suggested. Even if he could by your own admition he can't fininh well under the paint. That is something chill excels at. What else do you think Marvin does better?

Quote:

But I haven't seen Marvin like you have suggested. Even if he could by your own admition he can't fininh well under the paint.

There have been plenty of times when Marvin has caught the ball on the perimeter and faced up the defender to freeze him and then shot right over him.

And he can beat guys off the dribble in either direction because he has a pretty good first step and they have to honor his shot. But he has trouble scoring once he gets past them.

I would like to see him develop JJ's in between j/floater that works so well from close range. I would also like to see him stop jumping into people inside when he is trying to finish. he isn't strong enough to do that and it completely throws him off.

Quote:

I actually agree that chillz can't create his own shot. But I haven't seen Marvin like you have suggested.

Neither Marvin nor Childress can create their own shot with any regularity. If Marvin beats someone with a quick move, he gets his lunch packed inside. He doesn't have good enough handles to shake defenders off of him for a jumpshot at this point in time. Basically, Marvin's ONLY legit move is the catch, jab step, and just take the jumper. All of this can be evidenced because Marvin is assisted 76% of the time, the highest on the team.

Childress handles the ball well, but his shot limits him SO much in creating his shot. Childress is much better at finishing inside, and his only chance to create for himself is beating someone off the dribble, which happens maybe once or twice a game.

Marvin definitely has more "tools" to be a better player, but whether he is willing to use them remains in question. Childress is currently better.

Quote:

Quote:

I actually agree that chillz can't create his own shot. But I haven't seen Marvin like you have suggested.

Neither Marvin nor Childress can create their own shot with any regularity. If Marvin beats someone with a quick move, he gets his lunch packed inside. He doesn't have good enough handles to shake defenders off of him for a jumpshot at this point in time. Basically, Marvin's ONLY legit move is the catch, jab step, and just take the jumper. All of this can be evidenced because Marvin is assisted 76% of the time, the highest on the team.

Childress handles the ball well, but his shot limits him SO much in creating his shot. Childress is much better at finishing inside, and his only chance to create for himself is beating someone off the dribble, which happens maybe once or twice a game.

Marvin definitely has more "tools" to be a better player, but whether he is willing to use them remains in question. Childress is currently better.

Preach. nana.gif