• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chillz, JSmith, Marvin

Swatguy

Thank you Sekou for updating the going arounds of these three players (and others). The last offering concerning Marvin has sparked interest or the lack of. We have three guys with one seemingly, not as focused as some would have wished.

Marvins comments and priorities are in question. When you contrast his comments to JSmith's and Chillz summer efforts gives me pause. Education is wonderful education is great.

The difference I see between Chillz in summer school and Marvin in summer school is Chillz we Know is going to bring it game in game out (As well as JSmith). Marvin has to "catch up with Fiz" for instructions? Geez.

I comes to mind, will the Sonics invest their '08 #1 pick into Marvin? Maybe I'm judging to strong, what do you think?

JSmith and Chillz need to be resigned as we go forward. Marvin, we will see.

So, of the three do we have room at the table? If not, who do we move? and when.

stirthepot.gif

Quote:

I comes to mind, will the Sonics invest their '08 #1 pick into Marvin? Maybe I'm judging to strong, what do you think?

JSmith and Chillz need to be resigned as we go forward. Marvin, we will see.

So, of the three do we have room at the table? If not, who do we move? and when.

stirthepot.gif

I think Marvin will be the hardest, of the 3, to move if he shows no improvement this year.

I have no idea why Seattly would want Marvin. (Being the home town boy only carries you so far). Seattle just drafted 2 SF/PF tweeners in the top 5 picks of this years draft.

We are stuck with Marvin. Hopefully he does something this year to show he is not bust. I personally think the dreaded lable of a "flawed tweener" is one year...so Marvin better put up or shut up.

13 PPG on "non-agressive" jumpers as the 4th option on a losing team and 5 rpg at 6'9'' 242 lbs = Bust for a #2 over all pick PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

I really hope Marvin shows some guts and hunger this year.

Did you actually read Childress' interview? All he talks about is physics and preparing himself for a business career for life "after basketball".

The interview makes it sound like Childress is ready for his career to come to a close!

Now I know that that isn't true, but from the interview alone I wouldn't gain any confidence in his future as an NBA player.

Quote:

Did you actually read Childress' interview? All he talks about is physics and preparing himself for a business career for life "after basketball".

The interview makes it sound like Childress is ready for his career to come to a close!

Now I know that that isn't true, but from the interview alone I wouldn't gain any confidence in his future as an NBA player.

"The difference I see between Chillz in summer school and Marvin in summer school is Chillz we Know is going to bring it game in game out (As well as JSmith). Marvin has to "catch up with Fiz" for instructions? Geez."

How can you possibly make a negative out of a player discussing things to imporve in the offseason with an assistant coach? I would venture to guess that every single player in the league who cares at all about his game will look to coaches for insight. I would be surprised if it's not a matter of policy that the staff touches base with every player to make sure they get their point across as to what they think is important.

That's the definition of making a mountain out of a mole hill. He talked with a coach about what to work on...and....what's the problem?

You act as if Childress is some kind of sure thing?!?! He doesn't have holes in his game? He doesn't need to add strength?

Smith I agree on. He's a beast and shows it. Childress??? He's about as average and uninspiring as it gets.

Quote:

How can you possibly make a negative out of a player discussing things to imporve in the offseason with an assistant coach? I would venture to guess that every single player in the league who cares at all about his game will look to coaches for insight. I would be surprised if it's not a matter of policy that the staff touches base with every player to make sure they get their point across as to what they think is important.

That's the definition of making a mountain out of a mole hill. He talked with a coach about what to work on...and....what's the problem?

You act as if Childress is some kind of sure thing?!?! He doesn't have holes in his game? He doesn't need to add strength?

Smith I agree on. He's a beast and shows it. Childress??? He's about as average and uninspiring as it gets.

Chillz is a good player, well above average and without a doubt the second most consistant player on the Hawks team last season. And BETTER THAN MARVIN!!!

I like Chills, he IS consistent, but he's consistently an average player, sometimes in small spurts he's a really good player.

He's by no means an impact player in the NBA. He's a dirty work role guy.

Up to this point he's been a more efficient player than Marvin, but I don't think he's been much better at all. Going forward I expect Marvin to leave him in the dust if he progresses a expected. I don't see Chills' game improving drastically.

Quote:

Going forward I expect Marvin to leave him in the dust if he progresses a expected.

I'll take the believe it when I see it approach to that. I'll take a dirty work hustle guy over a one dimensional high draft pick any day. But at least you admitted chills has been better to this point. I just can't put faith in Marvin like you are. When he shows me I will be happy to say I was wrong. If he doesn't he is just another bust and average NBA player.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Going forward I expect Marvin to leave him in the dust if he progresses a expected.

I'll take the believe it when I see it approach to that. I'll take a dirty work hustle guy over a one dimensional high draft pick any day. But at least you admitted chills has been better to this point. I just can't put faith in Marvin like you are. When he shows me I will be happy to say I was wrong. If he doesn't he is just another bust and average NBA player.

Statistically, there aren't very many dimensions that Chills brings that Marvin doesn't.

13.0 ppg v. 13.1 ppg

6.2 rpg v. 5.3 rpg

2.3 apg v. 1.9 apg

1.0 spg v. .8 spg

.6 bpg v. .5 bpg

The #s are better for Chills but they aren't so very different in any area. I don't know how Chills can be a virtual swiss army knife with his versatility if Marvin is a one-dimensional player.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Statistically, there aren't very many dimensions that Chills brings that Marvin doesn't.

13.0 ppg v. 13.1 ppg

6.2 rpg v. 5.3 rpg

2.3 apg v. 1.9 apg

1.0 spg v. .8 spg

.6 bpg v. .5 bpg

The #s are better for Chills but they aren't so very different in any area. I don't know how Chills can be a virtual swiss army knife with his versatility if Marvin is a one-dimensional player.

Come on Doesel. You know better then that. The box score never tells the real story. If you want to go by the box score Zach Randolpb is a better player then Tim Duncan but we all know that is not true.

Chillz is twice the defensive player that Marvin is. Marvin cannot even guard one poistion effectively, the SF spot. Chillz can guard SG better then average and can guard SF very well, much better then Marvin does.

Chillz has the intangibles that Marvin does not have. Chillz plays with agression by constantly diving for loose balls and taking the ball to rim hard (both things Marvin does not haver the heart to do.)

Chillz is better ball handler and passer then Marvin.

Sure they score the same amout. Sure they rebound the same amount. But Chillz gets his rebounds while playing alot of minutes at guard.

I hope Marvin reads this board and a fire is lit under him since the coaching staff obviously can't light that fire.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

13.0 ppg v. 13.1 ppg

6.2 rpg v. 5.3 rpg

2.3 apg v. 1.9 apg

1.0 spg v. .8 spg

.6 bpg v. .5 bpg

Come on Doesel. You know better then that. The box score never tells the real story. If you want to go by the box score Zach Randolpb is a better player then Tim Duncan but we all know that is not true.

Chillz is twice the defensive player that Marvin is. Marvin cannot even guard one poistion effectively, the SF spot. Chillz can guard SG better then average and can guard SF very well, much better then Marvin does.

Chillz has the intangibles that Marvin does not have. Chillz plays with agression by constantly diving for loose balls and taking the ball to rim hard (both things Marvin does not haver the heart to do.)

Chillz is better ball handler and passer then Marvin.

Sure they score the same amout. Sure they rebound the same amount. But Chillz gets his rebounds while playing alot of minutes at guard.

I hope Marvin reads this board and a fire is lit under him since the coaching staff obviously can't light that fire.

Sorry. I am still not buying Marvin as a one dimensional player and Chills as a multi-faceted guy. I already said Chillz does things better right now than Marvin. However, they are doing the same things for the most part. Both have played a very limited roll offensively to date. The only signifiant differences in what they are doing are the FG% of Chillz and his better defense (both employ perimeter defense on swingmen for the most part and the difference is between adequate and decent, not sieve and impact player).

Chillz has clearly been better to date but they aren't that different in terms of what they do.

The Tim Duncan/Zach Randolph analysis doesn't work either.

There are some obvious differences in their tools that can be seen just by looking at the numbers. In particular, the bpg shows a significant difference in terms of interior defense and it is that interior defense that makes Duncan SO much more valuable than guys like Randolph.

2.2 apg v. 3.4 apg (+50% Duncan)

.2 bpg v. 2.4 bpg (+1100% Duncan)

Quote:

LOL Chills defense was his big weakness his first two seasons. He seemed to do better last year but the bottom line is that he is too slow to effectively guard 2s and too light to effectively guard 3s.

Quote:

Quote:

LOL Chills defense was his big weakness his first two seasons. He seemed to do better last year but the bottom line is that he is too slow to effectively guard 2s and too light to effectively guard 3s.

The interesting thing is, it really seems that BK's vision of drafting a bunch of interchangeable athletes has come true. Only problem is that each of these guys is a tweener of some sort (Childress is a 2/3 tweener and Marvin and Smoove are 3/4 tweeners). Now this can be an advantage depending on matchups but I also wonder if it is one of the reasons why the team has been so horrid defensively the past several years (i.e., not quick enough or not strong enough to guard the opposing player).

I guess we will find out this year.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Childress' role would be better filled by a 1/2 tweener who could guard the 1 and 2 spot. We don't really need a 2/3 tweener with JJ, Marvin and Smith on the roster all of who can play the 3.

That's sounds familiar. (It makes sense cap-wise, too).

soapbox.gif

Sorry. I am still not buying Marvin as a one dimensional player and Chills as a multi-faceted guy.

Chillz has clearly been better to date but they aren't that different in terms of what they do.

Not that different in what they do ? As already said, Marvin plays only one position while Chillz plays 3 poistions effectively. Marvin plays little to no defense and NEVER shows heart or intensity. Chillz shows his heart and intensity on a consistent basis.

You don't think Marvin is one dimensional ? Then what trait does Marvin show on the basketball floor that is above average other then his mid range shooting ? If you come up with one I would like to know.

Chills is not a multi faceted guy when compared to Marvin ? I disagree. Chills guarded the PG, SG, and SF, positions throught the year. The big line up of Chillz nad JJ sharing PG duties was probably our best line up.

So a guy, (Chills), who plays 3 positions for us both offensivly and defensivly is not a multi faceted player ?

and

Another guy who plays one position only while being a below average defender at his only position while having only one offensive weapon, (mid range jumper), is not a one dimensional player ?

Wow ! I see this from a far different perspective.

In Marvin's defense he is very young (younger then Law and same age as Horford). Not much different then Rashard Lewis at the same age.

I am not a Marvin hater but I am a Marvin realist. This is the year to show growth. If he shows little to no improvement it is only due to lack of a work ethic.

"If the truth hurts, then get ready for alot of hurt." Lou Holtz

Quote:

Chills guarded the PG, SG, and SF, positions throught the year. The big line up of Chillz nad JJ sharing PG duties was probably our best line up.

So a guy, (Chills), who plays 3 positions for us both offensivly and defensivly is not a multi faceted player ?

LOL

Childress has zero playmaking ability which is why he had only 2.3 assists in 37 minutes. He can't create for himself or anyone else. And he can't defend the point position at all. He gave up a PER of 28 when defending the point.

http://www.82games.com/0607/06ATL9C.HTM

Marvin plays the 4 frequently when we go small so saying Childress plays 3 positions and Marvin only plays one is just wrong.

Quote:

Quote:

Chills guarded the PG, SG, and SF, positions throught the year. The big line up of Chillz nad JJ sharing PG duties was probably our best line up.

LOL

Childress has zero playmaking ability which is why he had only 2.3 assists in 37 minutes. He can't create for himself or anyone else. And he can't defend the point position at all. He gave up a PER of 28 when defending the point.

http://www.82games.com/0607/06ATL9C.HTM

Marvin plays the 4 frequently when we go small so saying Childress plays 3 positions and Marvin only plays one is just wrong.

I see the problem here. It seems we have a select group here who are stat freaks and another group who go by what they actually see on the court. If thats the case then we will never understand each other point of views. You can bring up as many stats as you want but they don't show effort,tenacity or passion for the game. Stats are overrated.It seems I am repeating myself in saying so. You notice when people defend Marvin you here words like per. But when you talk about players such as chilldress and smoove you here hustle, heart, and not afraid to mix it up down low for rebounds and on defense. You never hear these characteristics when someone talks about Marvin. That is my biggest problem with the guy.

Quote:

But when you talk about players such as chilldress and smoove you here hustle, heart, and not afraid to mix it up down low for rebounds and on defense.

That is partially true.

But the big problem i have when people discuss Childress is this so called "versatility" which simply doesn't exist. Childress is extremely limited offensively. He can't beat guys one on one at all and has no playmaking ability to speak of yet people continue to act like he can play the point. He can't.

He definitely can't guard the point either.

Quote:

You never hear these characteristics when someone talks about Marvin. That is my biggest problem with the guy.

Marvin certainly lacks aggression and assertiveness. Sort of like JJ early in his career. Does that mean he will mature like JJ? No, but it is a possibility.

I feel like i know the game fairly well and have watched all the Hawks games yet i still don't really have a read on Marvin. Right now i can't project with any confidence what kind of player he will be.