• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Batista News

OGRat

Maybe Boston couldn't offer enough playing time for Batista?

_______

From www.boston.com-

September 19, 2007

Batista update

By Marc Spears, Globe Staff

The agent for Atlanta Hawks free forward-center Esteban Batista said late tonight that his client has declined an offer to sign with the Celtics. Agent Marc Cornstien said this afternoon that the Celtics, Charlotte, Phoenix and Indiana had made contract offers to the 6-foot-10, 270-pounder. While Cornstien said via text message Wednesday night that Batista had turned down Boston, he didn't say why and wouldn't say where his client was leaning now.

"Boston could be a good fit, but there are teams expressing more serious interest," Cornstien said.

The Uruguay native played sparingly for Atlanta last season, but averaged a tournament-best 12.4 rebounds and 20.8 points during the recent FIBA Americas Championship in Las Vegas. Celtics executive director of basketball operations Danny Ainge couldn't be reached for comment, but the inquiry on Batista gives the impression that his club is interested in bringing another big man to camp. The Celtics are currently expected to bring 15 players to camp.

Posted By: mspears | Time: 10:25:39 PM

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think CHarlotte would be a good fit for him. They need a tough guy.

Well, Okafor's pretty tough. He's just injury-prone. (Am I wrong in distinguishing between the two?).

But I agree that Charlotte would be a good fit, and see Batista being what they wanted Melvin Ely to be.

Quote:

Yes! Send him to Charlotte. Okafor's back will be broken in no time.

Seconded.. The only thing he ever showed in the NBA was that he was prone to injure his own teammates, so we should hope that he ends up in our division.

Quote:

...Btw, he declined the offer from Boston, but still has offers from Indiana, Charlotte, Miami and Dallas. But looks like he will be signing for Phoenix.

Amazing to me. Who judges talent for the Hawks?...Mr. Green Jeans? (gotta be my age to get that one) tongue.gif

But really, after the Diaw debacle, other teams must be looking at our guys like bonus draft choices. I would like to be a fly on the wall at other teams' meetings:

"Batista is available and he lit it up in the FIBA tournament...tough guy...good rebounder...looks like a solid backup center...and pretty cheap!"

"Yeah but he couldn't even get playing time on the lowly Hawks"

"Don't worry about it...those Goobers that run the Hawks wouldn't know NBA talent if it bit them in the #ss."

++++++++++++++

If Ivey works out as a backup in Milwaukee and Batista carves out a spot as a decent backup center in Charlotte we will look like dumb assed talent "accumulators" that don't know what to do with it when we get it.

On the positive side...we could get trade value from our younger guys - since other teams will figure Woody wouldn't be able to see the talent anyways.

Quote:

Quote:

Am I the only one who pictures Batista as the wrestler when they hear his name...

Yes sir you..are. Five teams want him. I don't wan't to call you a damned fool...but it's difficult. tongue.gif

Is hard for me to be objective in my opinions about Batista, but seems that other teams thinks that Batman could be a valuable player, not a star, but a valuable one, a good backup. I say this because the Celtics improve the offer for Batista yesterday. The suns and celtics are good offers for Batista because they don't have good backup centers; the suns are in conversation with Brian Skinner so maybe they could fill that spot with him, and apparently Este is the 1st option for the celtics.

What makes me feel bad is that the Hawks should have offered him a contract and then make a trade.

Another bad decission, and goes....