• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

While watching the Heat/Pistons . . .

Packfill

• Moderators

Marvin has a long way to go defensively to be in the same frame as Prince, but he is already just about there offensively. Tayshaun is a better passer at this point and has a little more range but Marvin is very close offensively overall.

Quote:

Marvin has a long way to go defensively to be in the same frame as Prince, but he is already just about there offensively. Tayshaun is a better passer at this point and has a little more range but Marvin is very close offensively overall.

Tayshaun is absolutely one of a handful of my favorite players, and always has been. I have never seen a greater play, and likely never will, than the block on Reggie in game 6.

Reggie racing to the basket all by himself to lay it in and tie the game; didn't even hear him coming. A blur comes out of nowhere and stuffs the shot to save the game; the blur disappears like a rocket into the stands, to his apparent death at that velocity ambulance.gif ;the crowd is silent.

What seems like an eternity later a gaunt figure slowly pulls himself to his feet from under the chairs. Tayshaun!

Quote:

Tayshaun is absolutely one of a handful of my favorite players, and always has been. I have never seen a greater play, and likely never will, than the block on Reggie in game 6.

Smith makes plays like that better than anyone i have ever seen. The timing of Prince's block is what made it special. The block itself is something that Smith does all the time.

Quote:

I think Marvin showed some promise in the pre-season - which is why I made the reference in the first place - but I am going to need to see him play effectively when the games mean something before I am ready to say he is Prince's equal in anything. Plus, the real thing the Hawks need from their small forward is someone like Prince who can do the little things that help a team win.

Quote:

Tayshaun is much better using his physical qualities to find scoring opportunities. Posting up smaller guys, playing physical, being aggressive with the ball. Every stage of his development since he was a bean-pole freshman in college has been s surprise to me.

Hopefully Marvin will be there soon.

Nightmares:

Hard not to respect and appreicate him, but lawdy did he give me heartburn back in the day.

Quote:

The timing of Prince's block is what made it special. The block itself is something that Smith does all the time.

The amazing thing was that TP was nowhere in the picture as Reggie got to the basket. Reggie (nor anyone else) had any clue that anyone could get there. It was Tay's speed and sheer will that was and is amazing.

Quote:

Quote:

Josh Smith did that to Allen Iverson....

Quote:

Quote:

The timing of Prince's block is what made it special. The block itself is something that Smith does all the time.

The amazing thing was that TP was nowhere in the picture as Reggie got to the basket. Reggie (nor anyone else) had any clue that anyone could get there. It was Tay's speed and sheer will that was and is amazing.

Smith does that all the time. Whenever you see the opponents out on a fast break just look back....here comes Smith. While Smith isn't the quickest guy he is very fast once he gets going.

If Smith had been in the same position as Prince he would have made that block with plenty of time to spare. If you watch a replay of that block Prince did a little stutter step to get his timing right for his jump. Smith doesn't have to do that. he just explodes.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Smith does that all the time. Whenever you see the opponents out on a fast break just look back....here comes Smith. While Smith isn't the quickest guy he is very fast once he gets going.

If Smith had been in the same position as Prince he would have made that block with plenty of time to spare. If you watch a replay of that block Prince did a little stutter step to get his timing right for his jump. Smith doesn't have to do that. he just explodes.

I totally agree with everything you are writing about Smith here but you should also note that the "block the guy out front on the break" play is a specialty of Tayshaun's as well. He isn't a great shot blocker overall but can hold his own against anybody when chasing someone down on the break. He gets a much higher % of his blocks on that play than Josh Smith does (although this is largely because Josh blocks a ton of other shots in other situations).

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Smith is supposedly in better shape this year than ever before. Definitely more desperate to be better than ever. NBA will repent not putting us on national TV.

How does a skinny guy like TP play such great defense? He is skinnier than Durant.

• Moderators

He is reasonably quick but I attribute it more to savvy and length. His wingspan is something like 7 feet so he can play off of smaller player a bit and still challenge their shot and can get his hands up to challenge larger players as well.

Quote:

He is reasonably quick but I attribute it more to savvy and length. His wingspan is something like 7 feet so he can play off of smaller player a bit and still challenge their shot and can get his hands up to challenge larger players as well.

Yeah. I guess I meant extreme quickness relative to his notable length. That he can stop quick guards is like a walking-stick mantis staying with a waterbug.

Quote:

Hopefully Marvin will one day learn to use his 7' plus wingspan for something.