Marvin WIlliams Worth the #2 Pick (So Far)

wolvetigers

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the point of this thread, but when was it a bad thing for an offensive player to rely on a picture perfect form jumpshot?

It isn't a bad thing at all.

The thing is that Marvin has always had good form on his shot but just didn't make them that often. He would have streaks here and there but the Hawks really need him to be consistent and he certainly has been so far.

Last night was probably his best game as a Hawk.

Marvin needs to take it more to the hole and he does that at times. That's where his value to the team skyrockets. We know he can knock down open shots and that is key. But, when he's getting to the line he's getting them in foul trouble, and he's getting us into the bonus quicker.

Marvin tends to get frozen out. Smith is making sure he gets his...Marvin doesn't think that way. He is an efficient scorer though because he gets numbers without as many shots. Woody needs to make sure he calls Marvins number a fair amount as the game progresses because JJ and Smoove tend to dominate the ball.

Quote:

Smith is making sure he gets his...Marvin doesn't think that way. He is an efficient scorer though because he gets numbers without as many shots.

That is what makes him a good complement to JJ and Smith. Last night they were doubling off him so the smart thing to do was just take the open shots.

when they are playing him honest then he should be looking to drive, which he has done so far.

Quote:

Ive been one of the few supporters of BK's drafting over the past few years. Ok so I wish he may have selected Brandon Roy instead of Shell Head, but honestly the Hawks needed to get some toughness and grit. Hawks selecting Marvin Williams over Chris Paul and Deron WIlliams has been beat to death in the media over the past two years and now that we have Law I'm satisfied. We can agree to disagree over that issue, but one thing is becoming clear. Marvin Williams is proving his worth as a #2pick. Lets hope he stays healthy and continues to play hard.

GO HAWKS

He's my favorite NBA player but he was still the wrong pick. He's worthy of a #2 pick in general, as many #2 picks don't end up being superstars, in other words - he's no bust.

But unfortunately there were at least two PGs that will most likely be perennial all stars available. How often does that happen? Almost never. The Hawks didn't recognize it (neither did most of the "experts), and so we f-ed up.

It doesn't make Marvin less of a player, it just remains a lost opportunity forever.

If he reaches all star status (or fringe all star status) and Acie develops into a truly legit pg, the draft pick debate becomes moot. For now it was a miss, but what I consider a "good miss".

Those who choose to dwell on that draft will never enjoy the extremely promising young player we have in Marvelous Marv. Their loss.

Quote:

He is an efficient scorer though because he gets numbers without as many shots. Woody needs to make sure he calls Marvins number a fair amount as the game progresses because JJ and Smoove tend to dominate the ball.

Yeah I'm not sure why we call for the ball to be in Smith's hands so often either. I really think Marvin should watch some Deng/Hamilton/Reggie Miller film and learn how to move without the ball. If we start setting screens for him to get open and he learns how to go off screens (fades/curls/slip/straight off), he could become a great player.

Even if Marvin becomes a perennial All Star SF, it is going to be VERY difficult for him to be a more valuable player than Paul or Deron if they remain top 5 PGs, simply because of the positions that they play.

Still, I think Marvin is a terrific up and coming player, he is my favorite player, and I'm glad we have him.

Quote:

Quote:

Carmelo is obviously much more advanced, but that's his basic game. His entire offensive game relies on his midrange jumper.

Not really. He makes his living taking it to the basket and getting to the ft line.

Compare his shot selection to other wing players and you can see what i mean. He drives more often than most because of his quickness, strength and ball handling ability.

http://www.82games.com/0607/06DEN10A.HTM

He was one of the league leaders at scoring inside.

This is what gives Marvin so much potential..........rarely can a player have elite mid range ability and elite penetration and finishing ability.

Rashard Lewis is the quality of player most of us hoped Marvin would become (a 2nd tier star / marginal allstar). Most of us thought that was Marvin's ceiling. However, his body is really filling out while at the same time he appears quicker on his feet. Kind of defies physics but that is what my eyes are telling me.

Right now it appears Marvin will have a better career then Rashard Lewis b/c Marvin is better at driving the basketball. If you lay off him he is nailing his mid range jumpers. Marvin is showing a COMPLETE offensive game for a 21 year old, he is passing the Rashard Lewis production level at 21 and approaching the TMac level of ability for a 21 year old.

Got to love what Marvin is doing so far. He is becoming a man. He actually has about 7 hairs on his chin now. Can't wait to see what he turns into when all the hormones kick in and he has a full beard. Ha, ha.

I don't see marvin being able to hit 3s like Shard. That would be asking a lot.

And Anthony is much stronger than marvin which helps him in the lane.

But it is clear Marvin has a chance to be a very good offensive player and a much better defender than both of those guys.