Loving the ATTITUDE Marvin is showing these days!

bumpyphish1

He's got a bit of a mean streak going on to go with his increased level of play. That dunk where he went over Wallace got him riled up. There was another time he got fired up, and he went out of his way to complement Law once - I liked that.

Good Stuff. Like they say, YEAR 3. He is evolving and feeling mature.

Marvin is STILL the youngest Hawk on the roster!

Atlanta has 3 rookies, fresh out of school. All three

played against the Bobcats. Yet, there is MW playing

in his 3rd season in the NBA - our youngest.

His maturity is just now beginning to show. He's still

got a ways to go, but you gotta love the way his season

has started.

Speaking of maturity, before his injury, Acie Law was

sure looking the part of a REAL point guard.

It's sure hard for us, me included, to wait for our

young Hawks to mature. We've been down so low for

so long, we want to win every game now. When we don't

we tend to go off the deep end.

Last night, after looking at our last loss, seemed to

be a complete turnaround for Atlanta. They played

the type of game we expected of them coming into

the season. They sure didn't play that way against

Washington. Hard lesson learned? I hope so.

GO HAWKS!!

thumb3d.gif

Pretty good for a guy who was roundly criticized by many on this board for having the nerve to pursue his education over the summer.

I would say Marvin was working hard on his game AND going to school.

But, when a guy has all that money, what the hell is he doing bettering himself with an education?

Marvin is shoving it up the backsides of all of the panic and hysteria crowd. And it is nice to watch.

• Admin

I don't think so because outside of this board, Marvin wasn't considered some flop of a player. He was thought of as a young, high draft pick who had a lot of potential. He's steadily improved since his first season and going from 13/5 to 18/6 this year was kind of expected.

The fact that he's playing well and giving no reason for the haters to pile on makes him standout to us more than it does anyone else because we're used to hearing him talked about as if he were the biggest bust in NBA history.

Quote:

I don't think so because outside of this board, Marvin wasn't considered some flop of a player.

Exactly. The fact that we have needed a PG in the worst way and we passed on two great ones also contributed to the Marvin issue on this board. With Marvin you always had a solid asset that was going to be good. I can see Marvin at 22/8 by age 23 or 24. We didn't get a pig in a poke.

Now Shelden? Thats a different story. And yet Shelly doesn't get a tenth of the crap as Marvin has. Marvin is also making the most of taking a small number of shots relative to Smoove and JJ.

Yea well maybe things are working out for marvin now after all. And yes I haven't heard any more cp or deron cracks now that marvin is playing like a man posessed. And yes he is only 20!!!!! Still the youngest on the team I don't know why nobody would ever give him a chance to grow up. He was just a kid. Just like Andrew Bynum. Everybody was ready to kick him to the curve but the guy was still a teenager. Just goes to show that this age limit thing really is good for the players and their psyche unless your name is Lebron or KG or Kobe...

• Moderators

Quote:

I don't think so because outside of this board, Marvin wasn't considered some flop of a player. He was thought of as a young, high draft pick who had a lot of potential. He's steadily improved since his first season and going from 13/5 to 18/6 this year was kind of expected.

The fact that he's playing well and giving no reason for the haters to pile on makes him standout to us more than it does anyone else because we're used to hearing him talked about as if he were the biggest bust in NBA history.

The current maintstream "expert" on predicting player performance had Marvin projected for a 14.63 PER. So far this year he has a 20.25 PER (I know it is too early to determine if he can keep this up). That is a HUGE difference (assuming he keeps it up). He could easily be in the running for most improved if he produces like this all year, IMO.

Bear in mind in terms of league visibility, David Lee, Charlie Villanueva and other made the All-Star ballot but Marvin Williams didn't. If the team improves and Marvin shines like this all year he should be in the running.

Quote:

Pretty good for a guy who was roundly criticized by many on this board for having the nerve to pursue his education over the summer.

I would say Marvin was working hard on his game AND going to school.

But, when a guy has all that money, what the hell is he doing bettering himself with an education?

Marvin is shoving it up the backsides of all of the panic and hysteria crowd. And it is nice to watch.

That summer time criticism really got me worked up.

If people haven't figured it out yet the guy is as underspoken as all get out. He's not a bragger, he's not a self promoter. That's been misinterpreted from the beginning as a weakness, as proof of a lack of confidence in himself.

No...that's just him. He's modest.

Ask him about his summer and he's not gonna go off about how hard of a worker he is and detail all the great things he's been working on. He says he's been playing and working out, but not doing basketball related things. Well guess what, those ARE basketball related things, he just says it differently than most people. To me what he was saying was "at first I had a regular routine of staying in shape and working on basketball in general, then I got focused on specific parts of my game to improve those".

But they way he carries himself leaves him open to anyone looking for a way to bring him down. And guess what, he probably doesn't give a damn what those people think.

The dude is focused on all the right things. I just hope he continues to imporve his attitude regarding attacking the boards and playing tough D. The offense part of his game is blossoming naturally.

The encouraging thing to me is that he has been willing to step up in crunch time.

The Hawks couldn't score at all in the 3rd quarter last night and that was when Marvin came through with several key jumpers, some of them heavily contested.

He came up with 7 pts and 2 assists in the 4th against the Wizards even though he started the game fairly cold. he never used to do that. in the past if he started cold he stayed cold.

Last year Caron Butler made the allstar team averaging: 19.1ppg 7.4rpg 3.7apg, 46%fg's

Marvin so far is averaging: 17.7ppg 6.1rpg 2.3apg 56%fg's

If only he can score two more points and get one more rebound he would have a shot.

PS: Butler averaged 2.1 steals though.

Marvin needs more shots, needs his number called a little more. The reason is that Marvin WILL ACTUALLY PASS the ball if the play isn't there...he isn't likely to force a shot.

He is scoring a lot despite not taking that many shots. When a guy is shooting over 50% I want him taking more shots. I don't expect that 56% to keep up because even great shooters don't shoot that high over 82 games. But he can shoot 50%. Marvin also can get to the rack and the foul line.

He needs more touches.

Quote:

Now Shelden? Thats a different story.

Easy now, Pete. Shelden is in the early part of his second year in the league. He is not getting consistent treatment from his coach. Yet, his game is much improved from his rookie season, and he has shown that no one pushes this team around. He has made good contributions this year, when I for one don't expect them until next year.

Just becuz folks gave up on Marv too soon is no reason to make the same mistake with another kid.

Quote:

Quote:

Now Shelden? Thats a different story.

He has made good contributions this year

Really? When? Look I also believe that Shelly deserves court time and can contribute. But at age 24 he is no "kid" like an 18 year old Marvin was...It doesn't take a genius to see that Shelly isn't all that great for a 5th pick in the draft. The upside differences between Shelly and Marvin is a Grand Canyon size gap. But I do believe that Shelly has something to offer if Woodhead gives him a chance.