• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What about Michael Cooper?

TroyMcClure

When Mike Woodson is eventually shown the door, this is someone to think about. BK, too. He could do both of their jobs better.

He has served directly under Jerry West.

He coached under Del Harris.

He was named WNBA coach of the year.

Won back to back WNBA titles in the following years.

He was the interim coach for Denver befor Karl was hired. Later serving as a scout.

He was the head coach for The Albuquerque Thunderbirds for two years (2006-2007), leading them to the NBDL title in 2006.

He is currently back with the Sparks.

This is all in addition to being one of the smartest players to ever play the game. For you young guys; he was a tremendous defender and shooter for the Showtime Lakers of the 80's.

Compare his credentials to BK or Woody. He could do either job better, imo. He's a winner. Plain and simple. He has won with girls and D-league scrubs. He knows talent, he knows the game. What's not to like? I'm sure he would jump at the opportunity.

I like Cooper, Laimbeer, and potentially winners at other levels because I believe we can actually manage to sign them here. That's the key to me. We need a proven winner, great coaching prospect HUNGRY enough to overlook the risks inherent in taking a position with us, thoughful enough to see the potential some here have, and strong enough to stand up to BK.

I still think that BK is almost an equal impediment to getting a great coach. Either he wanted Lowe and Woody or that's all he could convince with his warm persona. I think he wanted them and sadly, I think it's because he doesn't want a soul that could offer the least bit challenge of his power.

Anyhow, we can't get a coach who won't come here. Given that the Laimbeers and Coopers of the basketball world should be high if not top of the list.

W

Quote:

When Mike Woodson is eventually shown the door, this is someone to think about. BK, too. He could do both of their jobs better.

He was the interim coach for Denver befor Karl was hired. Later serving as a scout.

He was the head coach for The Albuquerque Thunderbirds for two years (2006-2007), leading them to the NBDL title in 2006.

This is all in addition to being one of the smartest players to ever play the game. For you young guys; he was a tremendous defender and shooter for the Showtime Lakers of the 80's.

Compare his credentials to BK or Woody. He could do either job better, imo. He's a winner. Plain and simple. He has won with girls and D-league scrubs. He knows talent, he knows the game. What's not to like? I'm sure he would jump at the opportunity.

There are quite a few coaches out there that would be intrigued to coach this team. Unfortunately, we have to wait till next year or probably 3 more decades till the ownership issue is resolved, so that we can spend any money at all.

Thats all well and good but the sad thing is if you take Woodys credentials BEFORE HE CAME HERE it would easily top Cooper. Espec. when you consider he was the defensive coaching wiz of a real live NBA CHAMPION and not a Dleague or wnba champ.

Quote:

if you take Woodys credentials BEFORE HE CAME HERE it would easily top Cooper. Espec. when you consider he was the defensive coaching wiz of a real live NBA CHAMPION and not a Dleague or wnba champ.

Please support that with fact. Woody was an assistant to Larry Brown for like 1 minute. He didn't teach those guys anything. He was also one of the losingest players ever. He's backed that up by being one of the 5 losingest coaches ever. I've documented all of this in the past.

Michael Cooper winning titles in two different leagues with two different genders tops being an assistant for a hot second. Not even close.

Do some research on the two. You will change your mind.

Factor in who they were as players and this discussion is silly. Michael Cooper has probably forgotten more winning basketball than Woody has ever known.

He was also one of the losingest players ever.

If Woody played with 3 hall of famers and 2 of the 5 greatest players in the history of the NBA, he would have won some chamopionships as a player too. Don't ya' think ?

I wonder why no other NBA teams having gotten serious with Cooper ? I am sure he would focus alot on energy, intensity, and defense, b/c that was they type of player he was.

If our main problem is needing better offensive flow, I don't see Cooper being the solution. Cooper's philosophy may be a lot like Woody's/ I don't know that, just specualting.

Byron Scott got jobs in NJ and NO before Cooper got one NBA head coachiong job. There must be a reason. With the way NBA coaches play musical chairs annually these days you would think Cooper would have gotten his shot by now.

Do you think that coaching in the WNBA some how tarnishes your coaching resume' in the eyes of GMs ? I don't know why it would but the most succesful WNBA head coaches (Cooper and Lambier) are having no luck in the NBA with head coaching job intervies.

Quote:

Do you think that coaching in the WNBA some how tarnishes your coaching resume' in the eyes of GMs ? I don't know why it would but the most succesful WNBA head coaches (Cooper and Lambier) are having no luck in the NBA with head coaching job intervies.

It's all perception. Woody was perceived as having something to do with Chauncey Billups, Rip Hamilton and Sheed, etc being great players. He had nothing to do with it. Those guys are adults and serious competitors. Notice they are still a competitive club without Woody, or Larry Brown for that matter. That card is played out in regards to Woody.

Quote:

If Woody played with 3 hall of famers and 2 of the 5 greatest players in the history of the NBA, he would have won some chamopionships as a player too. Don't ya' think ?

Not exactly. Woody was a tremendous loser. He played major minutes for most of his career and his teams were never any good. Not even competitive. That's what I'm talking about. He played a major part in his teams being non competitive. You don't have to win the title to be considered successful. But you do have to be competitive. Woody never was.

The main point is that winning breeds winning and losing breeds losing. The proof is in the pudding, so to speak. Look at our record and disorganization under his watch. Michael Cooper was around winners and it shows. Woody was around losers, and is one. A winner would have eventually changed his surroundings through sheer will. What has Woody done?

This isn't even a discussion. Cooper by a mile.

I was not trying to debate who is a better coach in Woody or Cooper.

I was trying to debate why Cooper has not gotten his shot yet while his peers have (Byron Scott, Kurt Rambis).

I think Cooper coached the Houston teams with Swoopes and Cooper. I think each has some MVP trophies on their mantle at home. That does not mean Cooper is not a good coach but he has been blessed with exceptional (MVP) type talent to play with and coach for. Not many people are that blessed.

Quote:

I was not trying to debate who is a better coach in Woody or Cooper.

I was trying to debate why Cooper has not gotten his shot yet while his peers have (Byron Scott, Kurt Rambis).

I think Cooper coached the Houston teams with Swoopes and Cooper. I think each has some MVP trophies on their mantle at home. That does not mean Cooper is not a good coach but he has been blessed with exceptional (MVP) type talent to play with and coach for. Not many people are that blessed.

Rambis only got a small chance with the...Lakers. No one else.

Quote:

I think Cooper coached the Houston teams with Swoopes and Cooper.

No, he coached the LA Sparks. He immediately improved them by like 20 games, winning coach of the year. Then he led them to back to back titles in the following years. He also got a group of D-leaguers to play like a team and win a title, where you know every player is trying to put up stats. Not a small feat.

As for not being able to get a job, sometimes it's just who you know(Woody) and what opportunities are out there. Most organizations have a short list when they have an opening and seldom deviate from it. They have a sphere of reference and lock in on someone within that sphere. In Denver, a coach with a proven record came available(Karl) and they jumped on a proven commodity. He just hasn't gotten the chance yet. Jobs don't open every day. Look at Woody. This one should have come open 6 or 7 times in his 3+ years.

Thanks for the insite on Cooper.

I, obviously, know little about his coaching resume'.

He definatly sounds like a guy who would show up for an interview, all he is waiting for is a chance.

Anyone know if Cooper has had any head coaching interviews in the NBA. Surely some one has interviewed a guy with his credentials.

Would be interested to hear what some of x-players have to say about him.

I agree it is time to get a guy with some more structure offesnivelly and bit more discipline to polish up ZaZa and Smoove's offensive games. It is one thing to tell ZaZa to stop forcing shots or for Smoove to stop taking 3's but if your not going to enforce your instructions then the instructions do no good. (I have seen Woody discipline and pull ZaZa and Smith for their stupid shots, just not enough to get the message across).

Heck, coaches like Pat Riley benches and discilpines his guys if they don't weigh what he likes....can you imagine what he would do if you took the shots ZaZa and Smith took ? Riley has even gotten Ricky Davis to have better shot selection and that is like climbing Mt. Everest bare foot. Now we can't get someone lke Riley who can wear 5 championship rings to work and get every one's immdiate respect. However, hopefully a guy like Cooper, who came from that same school of thought would enforce some of the same princibles.

Cooper did play the game within the team concept where Woody (stats) inidicate he was more of free lance player /scorer for poor teams. Wow, Woody's playing days and offense seem to mirror his teams he is the head coach of. (same point Walter made)

Maybe its coincidence ?

Maybe its the PGs ?

Maybe its the injuries ?

Maybe these are just hollow excuses ?

Maybe their relevant problems ?

I do know there are plenty of coaches who are better then Woody at giving off a winning vibe / attitude. That is often over looked but is very contagious. It is evident that Woody has a tough time giving off that poistive, we can win at all cost no matter what vibe and our dreadful road record of late is evidence of that. (Basically what Walter was saying in that Cooper is a winner and Woody is not except for that lone season in Detroit and players feed off winners).

At the same time I can't help but remember how good the team was looking prior to Law's injury. The Hawks were running more, the 1/2 court offense looked much better, and the team was playing better. Players seemed to playing withing themselves better then they do without a PG who can get them easier shots. Hope the team gets back to that upon Law's return no matter who the coach is.

Quote:

We seriously need to think about people like this. We'll never get a proven coach until the ownership mess is resolved.

Precisely.

We need to cast a wide net should we look for coaches.

Can any of you imagine BK going for anyone other than the next fail-as-a-head-coach-assistant-coach? He's got a reputation to maintain. The worst coaches hired in NBA history.

Quote: