• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pau Gasol on the trading block

BigBenedict242

I saw this rumor at around 7 AM this morning, but didn't get a chance to post it till now as I have been on the phone all day with NBA GM's trying to sort through the rubbish and the legitimate rumors.

"Now with a new general manager, a new coach in Marc Iavaroni and a new style, it's clear that Gasol is lost and likely expendable. At least that's the belief around the NBA, and teams expect a shot at Gasol by the trading deadline. The question is how much you really can give up for a seventh-year player who never has been a good rebounder or defender and hasn't been on the winning side in a playoff game."

This seems to contradict what suspected insider, Mr. I Know Everything, Mr. I Am Always Right has to say regarding the Gasol situation.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point I'd do it.

Law

JJ

Marvin

Horford

Gasol

That gives us a fundamentally sound team that is capable of playing team basketball at an NBA level.

Smoove's street ball is getting old...though it is fun to watch it doesn't eqate to winning basketball games. I'm not sure a coach other then Nelson or D'Antoni would use Smoove in the right way.

Quote:

And 75% of the folks on the sight wants that stiff on the team

You can question Gasol's toughness and defense, but he IS NOT a stiff by any strech of the imagination. The dude can get up and down the court well and is a highly mobile big man, which is basically the opposite of a stiff.

I would add highly skilled to that list as well.

Horford and Gasol underneath would be beautiful.

The up-side of Smoove is waining with me a bit and he will likely want more money then he is worth come summer.

$13 million for Gasol or $10-$11 million for Smoove starting next year ?

Lets get a winning team already and forget the contract drama this summer !

Here is the RealGM article:

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/495...le_by_deadline/

Quote:

I would add highly skilled to that list as well.

Horford and Gasol underneath would be beautiful.

The up-side of Smoove is waining with me a bit and he will likely want more money then he is worth come summer.

$13 million for Gasol or $10-$11 million for Smoove starting next year ?

Lets get a winning team already and forget the contract drama this summer !

Amen. Lets shift the talent on this team a little bit. What we have in wing players, we lack in the 5 and the 1 (hopefully Law can fill that need).

• Premium Member

You see, this is why people want links to rumors. In this case, a link would've told you to table your discussion until the rumor gets confirmed by another source.

Why?

It's a Sam Smith article, who is the 2nd most notorious BSer in NBA journalism.

Quote:

Gasol is only 27 and won't be 28 until July.

He has 5 years of the prime of his career ahead, about the same age as JJ.

Yes. He has another good 5 years (unless injured).

How far has his trade value come down since summer? Rumors were that they wanted both our picks + other players.

They wanted Deng in the summer. Now they'll take less.

Quote:

Why do we want Shareef all over again? A stiff that put up good stats on bad teams and can't play defense.

3 major differences

Gasol is 7' while Reef is 6'9''

Gasol has gone to the playoffs with 3 different teams while being the star of his team. Reef has been to the playoffs zero times.

Gasol can play center, Reef cannot

Quote:

Quote:

Gasol is only 27 and won't be 28 until July.

He has 5 years of the prime of his career ahead, about the same age as JJ.

Yes. He has another good 5 years (unless injured).

How far has his trade value come down since summer? Rumors were that they wanted both our picks + other players.

They wanted Deng in the summer. Now they'll take less.

J. West was still calling the shots...now the Euro coach is the GM too per the RealGm article.

If Gasol can be had for Smoove and fillers I would do it. My patience has run out Smith being a team player.....exceptional in a contract year.

If the team does not succeed this year I fear JJ's comments & "demands" in the off season.

Again, Gasol is not a stiff. That's a bad characterization.

My thing is, would you rather have a front court of Marv-Smoove-Horford or Marv-Horford-Gasol?

I know I'd rather have the latter. That is a well-built frontcourt that wouldnt have a problem scoring or rebounding and could match up well will pretty much any team.