Marvin Williams = Rashard Lewis?

Diesel

Quote:

If you compare these two guys....

There's not much difference with one exception... Lewis is a three point shooter and Marvin is not.

I think it's a good comparison, but at this point Rashard's a deeper threat and a better post player while Marvin's been a better and more dedicated defender this year than what Rashard's been in his career.

Neither rebound as well as they should so far.

Ive made this comparison so many times, I'm glad others are starting to catch on.

Their early year stats are very comparable, and if Marvin adds a consistent 3-point shot, they will be very similar players. Shard is still better at taking people off the dribble. But, he struggled with it too when he was young.

Quote:

Ive made this comparison so many times, I'm glad others are starting to catch on.

Their early year stats are very comparable, and if Marvin adds a consistent 3-point shot, they will be very similar players. Shard is still better at taking people off the dribble. But, he struggled with it too when he was young.

Not trying t take anything away from you, but this has been a very very common comparison made for Marv.

• Premium Member

My comparison was year by year and minute by minute. I think when you look at both guys, they were both awkward... Both not superstars... but hitting near the top of their register about their 3rd year.

What I see in Marv is that accept for FG%, he's the same player he was last year. He's almost identical.

Quote:

Quote:

Its time to change your contact lenses.

Nah, you can keep those rose colored ones to yourself.

However, I would be glad to listen to your argument (based on fact) to the contrary.

You want to trade him for Villanueva. No logic or example can change your mind about Marvin.

Quote:

Quote:

Its time to change your contact lenses.

Nah, you can keep those rose colored ones to yourself.

However, I would be glad to listen to your argument (based on fact) to the contrary.

Fact: playing much better D, really appears to be a new focus

Fact: shooting better shots and hitting a higher percentage

Fact: more aggressive with the ball in his hands

Also,

Fact: not yet rebounding consistently better, only in spurts

Fact: still gets lost in the shuffle, but not nearly as much or as often as previous seasons

• Admin

Well yah, he still plays the same game, but what do you expect? You say it as if it's some sort of condemnation against him.

I'll say this: Right now, the only thing holding Marvin back, IMO, is the fact that Josh Smith got here a year earlier than him. He's not a toe stepper or a me first guy.

• Premium Member

It's always an age excuse though Chillz. The point I'm making is Marvin this year vs. Marvin last year. I have conceded that his FG% is better. HOWEVER... Rebounding = the same. Scoring = the same. Assists = the same... and yes Defense = the same. The big to do is that there are several on this site that's expecting Marvin to all the sudden break out and become James Worthy. I'm saying that Marvin is similar to Lewis... a guy who once he became a 18-19 ppg scorer, that was it. No farther improvement to his game.

Quote:

It's always an age excuse though Chillz. The point I'm making is Marvin this year vs. Marvin last year. I have conceded that his FG% is better. HOWEVER... Rebounding = the same. Scoring = the same. Assists = the same... and yes Defense = the same. The big to do is that there are several on this site that's expecting Marvin to all the sudden break out and become James Worthy. I'm saying that Marvin is similar to Lewis... a guy who once he became a 18-19 ppg scorer, that was it. No farther improvement to his game.

Well a Rashard comparison is a hell of an upgrade over Tim Thomas, s you must have seen some improvement.

• Admin

c'mon man, you're just trying to stir the pot. It has nothing to do with age at this point. He's proven himself beyond the need to excuse anything he does based on age. Comparing him to Lewis is fair in some respects, but then trying to back that up by saying "once lewis became at 17-19ppg scorer, that was it", pretty much invalidates everything you're saying because for Lewis, that was NOT it for him. He still got better.

Marvin in his third year is where Lewis was in year 4-6, where he lingered for a while. This was when you would hear critics hounding him for not taking it to that next level like they felt he should, but then he took it to that next level and that's where he is still. There's nothing wrong with that either. You make it out like peaking as a 20ppg player in the NBA is akin to following the donkeys around the Zoo Atlanta petting park with a shovel and bag. Or at least you do in Marvins case.

All I know, and this isn't blind Marvin love, is that he's the 2nd best, 2nd most consistent player on this team right now and that is still without plays being ran for him or without him having the luxury of calling his own shot. Once a new coach is in place and there is one fewer players taking shots that should go to him, I expect to see him step it up yet another level. After seeing what a little bit of confidence has done for him thus far, I have no reason to suspect he won't continue to respond and improve.

Quote:

c'mon man, you're just trying to stir the pot. It has nothing to do with age at this point. He's proven himself beyond the need to excuse anything he does based on age. Comparing him to Lewis is fair in some respects, but then trying to back that up by saying "once lewis became at 17-19ppg scorer, that was it", pretty much invalidates everything you're saying because for Lewis, that was NOT it for him. He still got better.

Marvin in his third year is where Lewis was in year 4-6, where he lingered for a while. This was when you would hear critics hounding him for not taking it to that next level like they felt he should, but then he took it to that next level and that's where he is still. There's nothing wrong with that either. You make it out like peaking as a 20ppg player in the NBA is akin to following the donkeys around the Zoo Atlanta petting park with a shovel and bag. Or at least you do in Marvins case.

All I know, and this isn't blind Marvin love, is that he's the 2nd best, 2nd most consistent player on this team right now and that is still without plays being ran for him or without him having the luxury of calling his own shot. Once a new coach is in place and there is one fewer players taking shots that should go to him, I expect to see him step it up yet another level. After seeing what a little bit of confidence has done for him thus far, I have no reason to suspect he won't continue to respond and improve.

It's arguable that Horford's close to being the most consistent performer on the team, especially when you consider how well he's manned the paint without much assistance.

JJ, Horford and Marvin are coaches' dreams. Not positive, but I think Acie probably is too. Smith's higher risk, higher reward. It could be an incredible mix if we can keep these guys together and get them unified permanently under a leader that knows what he's doing.