Saw some good things from Horf last night...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Horf was putting in work in the post...

He score about 10 straight.

Then they doubled him and he found a wide on JJ in the lane.

Then, next possession, Woody took him out??? HUH???

Yep, Woody looked down on his watch and said...

It's time to pull Horf!!

If Horf can make himself a low post offensive threat, then winning will be easy.

I wish that Smoove was taking notes... I think Smitty said it just right... if you look up and you have 4 seconds left on the clock, that's still enough time to dribble and maybe even pass... you don't have to settle for the long three.

Line of the night:

"Smitty, get the Maalox"...

It was the line of the night because it totally caught Smith off guard.

Stretch of the night is in the 4th when we started running what looked like the UTAH Offense on Utah!!!!

BTW...

Did anybody catch Smith with the Xs and Os... I think it was in the 2nd??

He did a darn good job of drawing up Utah's offense.

You think he's interested in coaching?

The thing about Horford is that he loves the contact. Most college kids need an adjustment to the physicality of the league but Horford loves it. In fact, the more the contact the better he finishes. Jackass Woody did pull Horf after about 8 straight points. Horf got his shot packed, it went off the Jazz, and they called it Jazz ball. Horf was then taken out. NEWSFLASH to WOODHEAD: When you have a guy actually drawing double teams in the post, who can pass, who has scored 8 straight, LEAVE HIM IN ASSWYPE!

The Horford we see in the 2nd half of the season will be much better than the Horf of now. And I love the Horf of right now.

Finally, BK got one right!!!

Quote:

Yep, Woody looked down on his watch and said...

It's time to pull Horf!!

I doubt the camera was on Horford when he summned Woody to take him out..........Horford tweaked something......he thought he was hurt and summoned Woody to take him out (I was sitting fairly close to the Hawks bench). In a few seconds Horford realized it was just a little tweak or stinger and tried to get Woody to leave him in with waive off hand motions. The problem is Woody had already summoned someone to substitute and probably wanted a trainer to take a quick look at whatever the issue was.

Yeah well I saw that "D". I saw how Al was working 5-6 straight times up and down the court. I watched Al when Woody took him out and Al was spent. His head was down, his feet dragged, hands on his hips. He was spent and Woody wisely allowed him rest.

You know injuries happen when guys a re spent, especially bigs. Al welcomed the breather.

Quote:

BTW...

Did anybody catch Smith with the Xs and Os... I think it was in the 2nd??

He did a darn good job of drawing up Utah's offense.

You think he's interested in coaching?

He's become my first choice for head coach. While Woody's making me feel a little more comfortable the more we win, I still don't think he's the guy that can get us to the promised land.

Smitty knows this team, knows their personalities, he's as polished as they get, he's as well respected as they come, and everytime he gest frustrated with their play I find myself thinking the same things he begins to talk about. Not that that's a great endorsement, I just feel like he's really in tune with what the Hawks SHOULD be doing.

Get Nique on the bench next to him along with a former PG and big man, ideally one who's an offensive guy and one who's a defensive guy, and we could have an extremely exciting franchise ready for the next decade of domination.

I think it would supercharge the team to get to play for a guy like Smitty.

But for now, I'm trying my best to support Woody and the staff we have.

Do you think Smitty has any desire to coach ? It is a tough job with long hours. A lot tougher then being a commentator.

Smitty has played under some of the really good coaches:

Lenny Wilkens

Dunleavy

Popovich

So he has studied under some good basketball minds.

I agree he would be a good coach. He knows alot of player personal in the league that is 25 or older from his playing days. Just wonder if he has any desire to do it. He seems to enjoy and have fun commentating games. Coaching takes all the fun out of it.

• Premium Member

yeah... that's true.

It seems like the injury bug just hangs around Atlanta.

Last night, I thought Smoove had pulled his groin...

We seemed to play a little better offensively without Smoove for that time, but we can't make up for his defense. He had several blocks.

We have to condition Horf to become a post player. He did well running through the lane too... however, I like to see somebody in Atlanta get position, call for the ball and make the high percentage bucket. Somebody teach Horf the repost....

Horfy is my man! Being a Gator fan I was ecstatic when they drafted him. He had a great stretch there when he hit those 4 or 5 baskets in a row. I think Woody is getting it that this kid has far greater potential than Zaza. He shoots a very high FG% all the time and mostly always takes smart shots.

He just needs to work on the foul shooting and his ballhandling/passing skills a little. I would love to see the Hawks run the floor more with Horfy leading the charge. He can run like few big men and causes mismatches when he runs.

That play last night in the 4th qtr when Horf made that slam on the fast break brought the crowd to it's feet was epic!

On a side note...anyone know why Woody left Zaza in late in the 4th instead of putting Horfy back in? I suspected it was because Zaza is a better foul shooter, but wasn't sure.

• Moderators

Quote:

On a side note...anyone know why Woody left Zaza in late in the 4th instead of putting Horfy back in? I suspected it was because Zaza is a better foul shooter, but wasn't sure.

It was Josh Smith who was on the bench late in the fourth. Horford was out there for most of it.

As for why Zaza was left out there, it is Woody's consistent strategy to not make any substitutions down the stretch. Hence since Zaza was in the game with a few minutes left to go he must have been a better player to keep on the floor than Josh Smith. Had Josh Smith been on the floor he would have clearly been better to keep out there than Zaza, etc.

• Premium Member

Horf was out there.

I was shocked Woody left him in and kept Smith on the bench after Horf got his 5th and started f----- up the free throws!

Zaza played solidly. Gave a big body to get the ball. Gave a little balance on the boards.

Somebody said Horf and Smoove work well with each other... well, I think that both of them work better with a big body.

Lo must be hurt again?

Woody looked at Josh a couple times and even had him up once before he later put him in after a timeout. I understand Zaza in for free throws, but he was off from the line. I wondered why Al was in (not the best FT guy) for JSmith. The inbound to go to Zaza in the post was a good adjustment. I believe we will see that again.

ZaZa was actually fouled before the ball was passed in, so we should've gotten FT's and the ball I think?

I was scared to death when ZaZa had it right under the basket and passed it to Horford. Why Utah didn't foul him, I will never know.

I would've put Shelden in for Horford.

Why we didn't pass in to Marvin on every possession, I will never know either.

Quote:

ZaZa was actually fouled before the ball was passed in, so we should've gotten FT's and the ball I think?

I was scared to death when ZaZa had it right under the basket and passed it to Horford. Why Utah didn't foul him, I will never know.

I would've put Shelden in for Horford.

Why we didn't pass in to Marvin on every possession, I will never know either.

I believe that stuff falls into the category called "coaching".