• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I LOVE seeing how Marvin is growing up, but...

DavidSomerset

In his defense, he scores a bulk of his points on jumpshots so he kind of takes himself out of opportunities for offensive rebounds that Smith, Childress or Horford might get. On Defense I find him guarding wings that can shoot the 3 more than guarding, say a Chris Bosh or Shawn Marion. That's at least from the little I actually pay attention to him in particular on defense.

Thesheedera, AHF and I have all mentioned this several times. I am sure others have as well.

Marvin will get 11 rebounds one game and then 3 the next. His effort on the boards has been very inconsistent and needs to improve.

Since our frontline is undersized we need all the guys to focus on the boards.

His rebounding only concerns me when Horford and Smith might be overmatched at the PF and C position. That's when I really want to see Marvin hit the boards. JJ too for that matter.

We have 2 great rebounders in Horford and Smith. If they're rebounding well, it's going to be hard for anybody else to post higher rebounding numbers. Most teams don't have 3 guys that have rebound averages over 7 a game. Most teams have 2 guys, but not 3.

But when Smoove and/or Horford get in foul trouble, I fully expect Marvin to hit the boards.

Marvin is more of a finesse player, so he'll tend not to mix it up often. This is why it is good to have Childress. Chill is a scrapper who can get those hustle boards that Marvin doesn't get to.

Right now, Marvin is a stabilizer . . . Chill is an energizer.

Only 5 teams have their third highest rebounder getting more rebounds than Marvin.

Chillz isn't far behind him in rebounds. Its good that so many Hawks are fighting so hard for rebounds.

We need not worry about Marvin's rebounds at this point. He only needs to rebound at double digits when AH/Smoove are in foul trouble.

• Moderators

Quote:

If Marvin keeps scoring the way he's scoring and he shows an effort defensively, WHO CARES?

Better rebounding will always improve a team. Marvin definitely has the athleticism and length to be an outstanding rebounder. The Hawks should definitely care to see him improve in this department.

Quote:

His rebounding numbers concern me.

With his athleticism, I feel like he should be getting more than 5.7 per game.

Every other aspect of his game has really picked up, but the rebounding is his one attribute that is lacking, IMO.

Anyone agree? Or am I expecting a bit too much out of him?

I agree. It bothers me when he's within 10-15 feet and he doesn't make any effort to get in front of the man guarding him or to box his man out.

He does spend a lot of time on the wings and in some cases it looks to me like he's instructed to be thinking about getting back for transition defense, but even with that he could be fighting for more boards when he's already close to the basket.

I tivo'ed the game so I'm not through the 1st quarter yet, but just saw a sequence from Marvin that I think (hope/expect, whatever) is a glimpse of the player Marvin needs to (should/will/HAS TO) become once he hits his prime.

5:00 to go in the 1st coming out of a time out and we're on defense. They bring it up, he claps encouragement while guarding Granger on the wing, Tinsley penetrates and he shifts to cut his path of, Acie covers Granger on the kick out 3. Marvin reaches out to feel for Tinsley and box him out, Tinsley's heading back up the floor, Marv gets the board and in the same motion leads JJ on the break.

Trails the break, gets the hand off at the top of the key, gives a subtle hesitation and look at the basket to get the defender thinking jumper, puts the ball on the floor and glides past the defender and in for a leaner/floater before Gasol can react.

As soon as it hits the net Granger (I think) pushes him in the back to sprint back to the other end for a quick fast break and Marvin doesn't hesitate for a moment turing and sprinting after him. The ball goes in to Tinsley who throw a 3/4 court pass to Granger without taking a step. Marvin has his hand out and luckily deflects the pass out of bounds to stop the break.

That's all stuff (as Chris Rock would say) you 'sposed to do so don't accuse me of praising Marvin for doing his job. But it was a great example of a guy playing focused, aggressive, smart basketball, and these "little things" LOOKED completely natural to him. He looked "turned on tuned in" (not sexually I hope), and maybe a good way to describe it (from a UNC perspective) is Hansbrough-esque.

He plays that way more often than last year, but he still needs to be doing it on every single possession on both ends of the floor.

If he does he WILL become an all star level player. If he doesn't, he'll remain just a notch or two above solid role player.

Quote:

Quote:

If he does he WILL become an all star level player. If he doesn't, he'll remain just a notch or two above solid role player.

am I the only one who sees Marv becoming a legit superstar.

Depends on your definition of superstar.

Keeping it in the discussion of swingmen, perimter players, guard-forwards types - I don't ever see him being a Kobe, LeBron level player. I don't think he'll ever score like Vince, McGrady or Melo did when they challenged for scoring titles, but I can picture him on their "status" level one day.

I can definitely picture him as a multi-year All Star. I consider that a "star" player. Rashard Lewis and Joe Johnson (so far) are kind of on the bottom end of that spectrum, but both can establish themselves as players on the high end if they continue to improve and help their teams win games. Dirk, Melo, guys like that are on the upper end of "star" and they appoach "superstar" status in stretches, but haven't achieved permanent "superstardom" in my mind. Wade seems to be destined for permanent superstardom but he has to stay healthy and win in the postseason throughout his career. Otherwise he may become another Vince-like star that burns too hot too fast.

"Superstars" - those are icons of the game. They're no doubt Hall of Famers. They must be great for a long time.

With Marvin I peronally think it's silly to think about Superstardom until he truly establishes himself as a Star.

This doesn't concern me, because he's usually defending out away from the basket, and on the offensive end he's shooting 69% jump shots, according to another poster. If he's getting 6 or so boards a game playing small forward, that's totally fine. It hasn't seemed that the Hawks are getting consistently outrebounded.