• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Beyond the Glory Review

KB21

It was good. There were too many commercials and interruptions, and I think they could have gone into more detail on why the trade in 1994 happened. It seems like poetic justice that he lead the Clippers in victory over the Hawks in his first game back. Overall, it was good. I think you got a good perspective on how his coach, teammates, and competitors felt about him.

And as Mike Fratello and Danny Ainge said during the documentary, Dominique Wilkins should have been named to the top 50 team. I also feel the Hawks robbed him of his championship, because I really do feel that the Hawks would have won the 1994 NBA Championship had they not made that stupid trade. That trade separated many Hawks fans from the Atlanta Hawks, and many of those fans have yet to return.

There was so much I never got to see...From Nique in

college and his first several years in the NBA.I missed

a very good time period....even though I was just a

little kid at the time.

IT makes me realize even more that this franchise has

never shown that it wants to be a top franchise.My

bitter feelings towards Nique soften a great deal..But

after watching this I'm more angry at Babcock and

Kasten as ever.I've always felt that we haven't had

the people in the first office that number 1 goal was

to win a title....Now I'm even more sure of it looking

back now.

He has a pretty good looking women aswell.

It seemed like the league and Hawks used Nique as

entertainment and then threw him in the trash.

I saw about half of the show and am ticked I could not see the other half. Does anyone know if this show will air again with Nique? It is truly sad seeing the best player of the Atlanta franchise traded away and not much appreciation. I hope the Hawk's have a Dominquie Wilkins day for him every year since he was special to the franchise.

When new management finally takes over I hope they plan on giving Wilkins an important role.Besides a GM,coach and scouting staff Wilkins needs to be part of the Hawk's plans.If he could not win a championship being a player maybe he can while being in managment.It seems like a fantasy thinking the Hawk's ould win a championship.Maybe a assistant GM job for Nique?

I will tell you that the first time he played in the NBA Dominuque would throw in the face duinks and everyone the announcers and fans could not believe this guy.His feet would practically be in your face and he just embarassed other players. No one including Jordan had the excitement he brought on the offensive side of the ball since you could imagine at any time he would throw one in your face.We may never see another player with the leaping ability as Nique.I know the new kid Lebron James is a spectacular dunker but Nique had such tremendous power in his dunking I have never seen it since. My favorite was when Nique would take off after missing a free throw and flying high over everyone and and dunk in your face.you just shook your head not believing it. I miss those days of Nique and the one time in Atlanta history the team had a chance to win a championship.Ever since it has been down hill!

• Premium Member

Yeah, I agree. IN 1994, we were headed to the finals against the Rockets. Nique was cheated out of that opportunity because Babcock wanted a younger player. It sounds like Kasten had mixed emotions however, there was a lesson learned.... Don't trade your franchise. It has taken 10 years almost and we're still not over it with the fans.

The other thing is this. Nique was a showman. That's what he did best. He gave it all for the fans. You don't get that too often.

Lastly, Nique, like ainge said... Is top 25. The only reason we didn't beat the Celtics is because they cheated and the Ainge Foul. They showed the Ainge foul to save the game (it was a smart foul). But they didn't show the fanthom Calls that Bird got and the No calls that the Hawks got. Nique however put a team on his back and carried. Bird made some good shots too. That was one of the best games ever.

To compare other players to Nique, you first have to ask... Have they averaged 30 points for a season? Then you have to ask have they averaged over 24 for a career?

• Premium Member

In reply to:

We may never see another player with the leaping ability as Nique.I know the new kid Lebron James is a spectacular dunker but Nique had such tremendous power in his dunking I have never seen it since.

I have to disagree.

Vince Carter is the modern day Dominique. I mean Dunking a rebound.... Vince Mirrors Nique. Jumping ability, Vince mirrors Nique. Striaght up Power on the dunk.... Vince is right there with Nique. While everybody has been down on Vince, remember Vince is the guy that jumped from a standing Still position and put his arm through the goal!!!!!!

If we could trade for Vince Carter and he was healthy, I think he'd be to us what Nique was to us.

and I've said that before. The two are almost identical players, though I'm not sure that VC has quite the drive that Nique did...thus he's goign to have to prove himself in the long run.

As the line goes, 'it was the best of times, it was the worst of times'. From 1985 through 1989, the highlight of Atlanta sports was Dominique Wilkins and the Atlanta Hawks. Remember, back then the Braves were bad, the Falcons were worse, and there was no NHL team to speak about. The Hawks didn't sell out every home game but they did well enough to the point where they never had to hype up the opposing star players coming to town in order to put butts in the seats like they have in the last decade since, especially now. Back then, people all over town wore their 'Hawk fan' badges on their chests with pride; you use to be able to say that anywhere (well, maybe not in Detroit, LA, or Boston; you could start a fight pretty easily by uttering those words in those places in the mid '80s) during those days and not get laughed out of a sports bar. Going to watch them play in the old Omni meant something back then; if you think Arco Arena in Sacramento is loud, try being in that building when the Pistons, Celtics, or Lakers were in town. It was always sold out when they came in and believe me, there was NO ONE in the house cheering for Magic, Bird, or Isiah. NO ONE. As I said before, it wasn't because Nique wasn't clutch in the playoffs that he couldn't lead them to NBA glory; the indictment falls solely on Kasten and later, Babcock. Look at the draft picks back then (and even now). Notice how they sat on their hands and cried 'salary cap' while Detroit and later, Chicago got better and past them by. Nique had to carry entire rosters into the playoffs who for the most part couldn't beat me in a game of H-O-R-S-E around the perimeter. That's not my opinion, its a known FACT. And just as the Hawks got it right and started winning again in 1993-94, Babs and company send him off to NBA-Siberia for a guy that not only didn't show up when he was needed most (Round 2 against the Pacers) but come to find out, had already had his plane ticket to Phoenix punched the very second they were eliminated by Indiana. It STILL makes my blood boil over thinking about the trade and what could've been; name another team in sports that traded away its franchise player in the middle of a championship run. It would've been different if they were hovering around .500 but they were 36-15 when the trade took place; to put it in perspective, they haven't won 36 games in a season since 1998. Sports fans have short memories but not in this town; there are literally thousands of folks here who haven't stepped foot into the building since the trade and probably won't until they advance further than Nique carried them (because in all honesty, they HAVEN'T). Well, I stand corrected; remember Nique Night? That's when 20,000+ (including myself) came from nowhere and booed Kasten six ways to Sunday. If Babs wasn't on his 'scouting trip' a riot may have taken place. And you wonder why fans don't bother showing up? If the upper management doesn't really care, WHY SHOULD ANYONE ELSE????

Thanks for reminding me about Vince Carter..he is on the same plane with Wilkins. Vince seems to be injured way to much so perhaps I was thinking of Dominque has a player who played all the time and was a human highlight film.

I hope the new owner asks Nique what can this franchise do for you so we can make you an important part of the team in management? While the decision made to trade Nique cannot be overturned the hawk's could still find a way to make him a priority after all he put the Atlanta Hawks on the map and is one of the top players ever.Show him some respect. I think Nique probably feels he is an average joe with the Hawks and some one the Hawk's can decide to get rid of any time since he is dispensable. Mcdavid has alot to do to bring some repsect back to the days when Nique was here.

I have to disagree.

Vince Carter is the modern day Dominique. I mean Dunking a rebound.... Vince Mirrors Nique. Jumping ability, Vince mirrors Nique. Striaght up Power on the dunk.... Vince is right there with Nique. While everybody has been down on Vince, remember Vince is the guy that jumped from a standing Still position and put his arm through the goal!!!!!! "

That is long gone.Carter is now a fadaway jump shooter.He

dunked on us...But it's easy to expose us these last 4 years

so...