• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I'm still not really satisfied with Marvin

Blunt91

Quote:

I think the real question is are you content with Marvin as he is or would you like to see him play better??

I want to see Marvin progress to the place where he becomes a threat. Teams are afraid of Marv just as much as they are afraid of JJ. Our team needs that. However, right now, Marvin's just a consistent third option shooter. He's like Jim Paxson.... when we need Scottie Pippen... or Toni Kukoc.

So now Marvin is reduced to Jim Paxson. The comedy on this site from certain people is priceless. And Marvin isn't just an ordinary third option according to the wise basketball sage with 23,000 posts, he's a third option SHOOTER...even a lower form of basketball life than your regular run of the mill third option.

But, on the other hand, the wise basketball sage believes that Chill is full of all sorts of amazing intangibles that never show in the box score. Brilliant.

It took 23,000 posts on this site to get to that level of analysis. I just hope that if I can ever last long enough to reach 23,000 posts that I have more sense than what was posted in the above quote. The whole agenda has moved well beyond absurd.

Honestly, I didnt have a chance to watch the hawks last few years, been overseas. But gathering from the games i have seen this year, his stroke has become efficient (definately not a chucker). Theres still room for improvement offensively, which is why people are so optimistic. The question is, will he realistically develop these skills.

A) Ball fakes; head & shoulder fakes, step back moves...stuff that will allow him to create more himself, either giving him more space for his jumper or better driving and forcing fouls (what you see from Joe all the time). His game looks to be very simple, coming off curls and screens. Is it coaching staff prescribed or his lack of being a ball handler?? I say prescribed because it seems he makes simple ball fakes, probably to limit travelling calls. (notice how horford now starts his dribble b4 making moves, his travelling calls are down a lot).

B) Back to basket; Dont think I have seen this...maybe lacks touch outside his shooting form (squared up)..would make sense with his lack of ball handling skills.

C) 3pt Range; which i think is somewhat overrated with his great midrange game.

Marvin also tends to fade in quarters, you can see him standing around, stopping the curls and just spotting up 19ft away on the wings, usually in the third or beginning of 4th. Im not sure if this a product of other players running (or lack of) offense, or just him getting tired or what.

Whats gonna be interesting is couple years down road, when Joe closes in on FA...will Marvin show improvements to consistently be a 22+ppg player and make ASG ponder resigning Joe...because really, I dont see where Marvin can grow statistically the way our roster is built. But trying to imagine Marvin finding his way through double teams makes me cringe as well tongue.gif

Quote:

I think the real question is are you content with Marvin as he is or would you like to see him play better??

I want to see Marvin progress to the place where he becomes a threat. Teams are afraid of Marv just as much as they are afraid of JJ. Our team needs that. However, right now, Marvin's just a consistent third option shooter. He's like Jim Paxson.... when we need Scottie Pippen... or Toni Kukoc.

Answer is of course we are not content. I do not think Marvin is either. Marvin is a 3rd option by your assesment; to me is fast becoming just as safe a scoring option as JJ and a much safer option than Smoove for two very obvious reasons:

His shot is dead on from 16ft in most of the time.

No matter how clumsy he may look, he is fearless when it comes to drawing contact (foul shots).

He has already, in only his 3rd year, become one of our best scoring options. High FG%, high FT%, not afraid to draw contact; but just like any good team, we have other options as well.

I am sure Detroit does not think of any of their big four as a 3rd option. Billups, Rip, Prince, and Wallace are all considered go to guys; and they do not always have their A game with them either.

That is what I am starting to see JJ, Marvin, Smoove, and Horford develope into; and if Acie comes through, we are going to be a beast to deal with in the coming years ...

• Premium Member

The problem is Detroit as you say has never had a goto guy. We have. JJ is always the goto guy and with that established, will always be the goto guy. I mean, your reasoning for Marvin over Smoove as an option can also hold true for Marvin over JJ... right? Marvin shoots a better percentage than JJ.. Hell Chillz do too. However, sometimes, where you are optionwise is not about how effeciently you can shoot the ball. However, it's more about how much your team trust you to get it done. Like it or not, our team doesn't look to Marvin (second) to get it done. They look to Bad FG% Smoove to get it done. Until Marvin really asserts himself in games as more than a spot up shooter but as a scorer who needs the ball, he will always be that third option.

Quote:

Quote:

Well, when Marvin starts to drive, he's so disorganized that most defenders believe that they can get a steal. Marvin get a lot of reach in fouls or moving fouls because Marvin kinda stumbles into people.

This is not new, he has been doing this for the last 3 years.

It doesn't have to be graceful to be effective. Sydney Moncrief's game was fugly, but highly effective. And I don;t recall Marvin earning this many trips to the line in the previous seasons.

I personally doubt that he will be a "superstar". In fact, superstar small forwards are an endangered species over the past 10-15 years (hard for me to include T-Mac given his inability to win 1 first round playoff series in his career). But unless we're going back in a time machine, and as long as we have him on a rookie scale, he's playing pretty well. I'm not sure when his draft slot becomes a non-issue... maybe never. All I know is that on a team that has struggled so long with consistency, he is giving us exactly that... and improved effort on the defensive end too. Clumsy or graceful, I'll take his high shooting percentage and 6-8 free throw attempts every game and will appreciate his contribution to the team's improved play.

Totally agree. It is bizarre to me how Diesel can say Marvin is ugly and then defend Childress till the cows come home. Childress shoots like a little kid. No joke intended. Not funny. Just the truth. That aesthetically unpleasing part of his game is an actual contributing factor in his inability to score in certain situations.(i.e. he needs a super wal-mart worth of space to shoot a "jumper", if you can call it that, without having it sent back in his face.)

Marvin's unpleasant looking part actually helps him score.

Holy shite!

Desperate much??

To call the Marvin haters desperate at this point is the understatement of the century.

How he looks while driving?? Really??

An article from 2004, when Marvin was 18 years old, to knock his abilities?? Seriously??

Not that Diesel and Blunt had much credibility to begin with, but this thread is a prime example of their inability to look at the reality that Marvin has blossomed into the player many knew he would become at the ripe old age of 20.

Quote:

I hate to go bashing him but I think Marvin is a bit of a Stiff. He seems to have bad footwork and below average Ball Handling skills for a SmallForward. Marvin just doesn't have the dribbling ablity or footwork to go around defenders that are his size or smaller. He does okay putting the ball on the floor against PowerFowards & Centers but doesn't have the skills to drive on Athletic 3's & 2's. He just seems a bit clumsy like on that one play in the Dallas game. Bob & Smitty tried to make like Jason Terry pulled him down but watching the replay Marvin just stumbled on his own.

I think Marvin is a nice player, some one who could average around 19ppg but he will never be a superstar which is what you hope for in a #2overall pick.

Did Diesel put you up to this??????????????????????????

• Premium Member

I readily admit that Chillz have a terrible shooting motion.... but Just like Marvin it goes in. However, can you accept that reality???

My only point about Blunt's post is that yes, Marvin does have terrible footwork...especially on a drive and I would like to see him fix it. Just Like I would like to see Chillz fix his shooting motion.