• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The future...

mattlanta

Who do you guys see on the Hawks roster, say three/four years from now? Who do you guys think we will eventually get rid of (whether it be a trade of a cut) in the future? As a casual fan only, I can see Atlanta trading off Josh Smith or Marvin Williams (I think we'll have to let go of one of them eventually), move Horford to his natural position, and aquire a solid center in the offseason. But I guess that's just Captain Obvious speaking... anyways, what's your take?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Who do you guys see on the Hawks roster, say three/four years from now? Who do you guys think we will eventually get rid of (whether it be a trade of a cut) in the future? As a casual fan only, I can see Atlanta trading off Josh Smith or Marvin Williams (I think we'll have to let go of one of them eventually), move Horford to his natural position, and aquire a solid center in the offseason. But I guess that's just Captain Obvious speaking... anyways, what's your take?

Well Captain, this is a pivotal time. It depends on what's out there. We know that we can't get better this offseason if we don't trade. We also know that several players are locked up (like Howard and Jefferson) so we're definitely not going to get another big in FAcy.

The real question remains with our team's philosophy... What kind of team are we? IF we go more traditional, then we need a big.. Bigs that should be available are:

Dalembert, Gasol, JO, Pryzibillia, Brad Miller, and Eddy Curry.

Gasol or JO will cost us a core player (Marvin, Smoove, Horf, JJ, JSmoove, or JChillz).

Right now, if I were to value our players worth... it would go like this:

1. JJ

2. JSmoove.

3. Horf

4. Marvin

5. JChillz...

What it really means is that this is how I value our players and there's not a whole lot of difference between Chillz and Marvin (for me).

I think when you look at the JJ window..it becomes imperative that we find a way to win sooner rather than Later. That being the case, I would start to look at some possibilities. For instance, Can ending contracts get us Pryzibillia or Miller? Second, how much is it going to cost to resign Smoove? Is Gasol worth the effort?

These are the most important questions we need to answer.

In a perfect world, I would like to say the future has us with a starting 5 of

Acie, JJ, Smoove, Horf, Gasol. With Chillz off the bench and we play a fast paced Halfcourt offense (inside out).

However, I think more likely (especially considering owner wallets) that we just keep what we have, we probably lose Chillz to triage. We prolly allow our ending contracts to expire and maybe reup AJ. Nobody talks Speedy into retiring... he gives it a go at the beginning of next year and kills any chance for us getting money under the cap for the next 2 years.

JJ becomes more and more dissatisfied and asks for a trade to a contender. We end up trading him to a contender for a used older player and some first round picks...

We'd prolly send JJ to Dallas for JT, Dampiere, and 2 first round picks.

Then everybody would be pissed at BK for making bad deals... but the truth is that the ownership fight will still be going on in 2010.

Makes sense D...although the last part of your post was a bit on the negative side. I'm more of a "what can we do now" kind of person...who knows what will happen 3-4 years down the road? We should be able to get a serviceable good center (Nazr woyld have been nice) fairly quickly. Granted we aren't shopping on Rodeo Drive - we're nosing around at the Dollar General Store - but still, there are possibilities out there.

Surely (man I hate saying surely when it comes to the ASG)...but surely they understand that a move needs to be made...sooner moreso than later.

I was with you until your idea of trading for/signing overrated and overpaid players just because they're bigs.

I don't doubt that JO or Gasol would make us a better team - but both players are on the downside of their careers and would provide nothing more than a short-term fix....that's not worth the price IMHO.

Pryz, Dalembert and Miller - do you really think either of these guys make us better??

No comment on your assessment on Marvin vs. Chillz...I think you've been hammered enough on this issue.

There's no doubt that we need another big but these guys are not the answer.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I was with you until your idea of trading for/signing overrated and overpaid players just because they're bigs.

I don't doubt that JO or Gasol would make us a better team - but both players are on the downside of their careers and would provide nothing more than a short-term fix....that's not worth the price IMHO.

Pryz, Dalembert and Miller - do you really think either of these guys make us better??

No comment on your assessment on Marvin vs. Chillz...I think you've been hammered enough on this issue.

There's no doubt that we need another big but these guys are not the answer.

The point was that this is what is realistically available in the way of bigs.

Now specifically.

I think that we can get better with the right trade for Gasol. (Not Smoove or Chillz).

I think that we can get bettter with the right trade for Dalembert or Pryz.

Now that we have found some life in Solo Man, I don't know if a trade is more in order than just sharing the PT at the C/PF positions.

Still... I would love to see us find an offensive post player. The only one that is available that fits that bill is Gasol and Miller. As long as we don't damage the core I would consider trades for either guy.

I like the idea of picking up Dan Gradzurich from the Bucks. It has been published that he is available. He is comfortable as a back up center whos role is to defend and rebound and that is why I like him.

I would like the idea of Heywood as a back up center IF he would embrace that role rather then pout over it. (Seems the the Wizards want to make Blatche their starting center but know it would PISS OFF Heywood.) Heywood seems to have an attitude problem but if he came in knowing his role is the back up center, then MAYBE he would act right. If not Shlden and Horford would have to set him straight.

Kwame Brown is a FA and should be had for cheap. Possibility in the off season.

Before we do anything I wat to see Solo get some time at C. If he could be a Dalembert Jr.......that would be awesome !