• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Acie Law's rookie year reminds me of a former Hawk

Blunt91

Maybe it is just me but Acie's struggles to run the point as a rookie remind me of Jason Terry. Terry struggled his 1styear under Lenny Wilkins trying to learn to run the Point. I think JT only shot 28% from 3point range his 1st season. As we all know Lon Kruger moved him to shooting guard the next year and JT turned out to be a pretty good player.

I am not saying Acie should be a 2guard(I don't think he is that good of a shooter) but he can score and he is better IMO at breaking dowon defenses than Jason Terry. Law assists will come when opposing teams start taking him seriously as a scoring threat. He needs to drive to the basket more, he can then access whether to score or dish off. I just want him to become more offensive minded. I would tell Woody that I need to play my game. I know woody wants to move the ball but Acie needs the ball in his hands more when the Hawks cross mid court.

I don't think it is good to have Acie in the game with our big "3" because it would make him even more passive to shoot or drive the ball. Coming off the bench and playing with the 2nd group is where he needs to be right now until he learns to be more hungry and a floor leader

Quote:

I just don't think Acie is all that good - there - I said it.

I don't think he is all that good. He played great (mostly) against Big 12 PGs...big difference between those guys and NBA PGs...and it's showing now.

wrong, DJ. Acie put that team on his back in the tourney. And he beat Texas almost singlehandedly a few times.

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think he is all that good. He played great (mostly) against Big 12 PGs...big difference between those guys and NBA PGs...and it's showing now.

wrong, DJ. Acie put that team on his back in the tourney. And he beat Texas almost singlehandedly a few times.

Well then he was a helluva college basketball player. We'll see how he does in the pros. detective.gif

Acie's problem has been scoring. That's pretty much it. He has played well defensively. On offense he can easily break down the defense off the dribble and find the open man for the inevitable miss. That is what happens when you play with bench players who can't shoot.

Acie outscored opposing teams last year during the last 5 minutes of games. While i have my doubts about his ability to score from 3 i don't have doubts about his ability to score overall.

Quote:

Acie's problem has been scoring. That's pretty much it. He has played well defensively. On offense he can easily break down the defense off the dribble and find the open man for the inevitable miss. That is what happens when you play with bench players who can't shoot.

I'd disagree - to me, Acie has been very disappointing - his struggles have made him very tentative - I rarely see him drive and dish - he turns the ball over quite a bit and just doesn't seem to have the court awareness of "who is where" and what that player's strength is. I hope it isn't a talent thing but at the end of the day, some players just have an instinct and others don't.

flava

u do realize that if he passes the ball to someone and they bobble it away it goes down as a turnover against him right?because that's where most of his TO's come from.

I agree he hasn't played that well as he could this year but soem of the stats don't tell the whole truth.Just like his 3 pt percentage.He hasn't really shot any.most are from last second heaves at the end of quarters.He's been a disapointment to me too but I see the talent and potential in him.He can play in this league.It's just how good will he be.and this is coming from a guy who didn't want anything to do with Law and wanted Conley the whole time before the draft

Quote:

than Lue or AJ, even though he is struggling.

The lineup with Acie playing with the starters has the highest winning percentage of any 5 man unit.

http://www.82games.com/0708/0708ATL2.HTM

Keep in mind that most of these minutes were back in november when Smith was shooting 37% and Horford had more turnovers than field goals.

he was alot better before his ankle injury by that charlotte jerk.I expect him to play better with the starters because he has a better game than the other PGs.He can guard anyone and drive past anyone.Now all his assists turn in to turnovers because guys like Marvin always bobble them away or garbage like Zaza always misses the shot.That's why I hate stats.he hasn't been much of a turnover machine.How does Woodson expect him to improve when he always had him playing in the backcourt with Salim and now Lue.He has Childress and Shelden out ther with him.HEY LET'S PLAY OUR PG OF THE FUTURE WITH GARBAGE AND GET MAD WHEN MISTAKES ARE MADE,THEN PULL HIM!!!

Kind of seems acie playing too fast, happens alot to young players. Thing is, it seems he doesnt make decisions on the fly...like when he decides to drive, drives full speed and has already decided whether its just to kick or take it all way. He needs to slow down sometimes, more hesitation, setup his guys inside with easy dump offs when he gets past his own guy.

But man, his first step is like a rocket launch...i think he can easily get to the hole at will. I would like to see him penetrate but dribble out, just to confuse the defense more..like not pick up his dribble or leave his feet all the time.

kinda rambling, but yah, i think the shot not falling isnt as big a deal as decision making skills.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Maybe it is just me but Acie's struggles to run the point as a rookie remind me of Jason Terry. Terry struggled his 1styear under Lenny Wilkins trying to learn to run the Point. I think JT only shot 28% from 3point range his 1st season. As we all know Lon Kruger moved him to shooting guard the next year and JT turned out to be a pretty good player.

I am not saying Acie should be a 2guard(I don't think he is that good of a shooter) but he can score and he is better IMO at breaking dowon defenses than Jason Terry. Law assists will come when opposing teams start taking him seriously as a scoring threat. He needs to drive to the basket more, he can then access whether to score or dish off. I just want him to become more offensive minded. I would tell Woody that I need to play my game. I know woody wants to move the ball but Acie needs the ball in his hands more when the Hawks cross mid court.

I don't think it is good to have Acie in the game with our big "3" because it would make him even more passive to shoot or drive the ball. Coming off the bench and playing with the 2nd group is where he needs to be right now until he learns to be more hungry and a floor leader

I disagree. JT just had no clue of how to play PG. I would say that right now, Acie reminds me of Rumeal Robinson. Before you start dissing Rumeal. He wasn't that bad at first. He just didn't match the talent level of the players we had. We'd kill for Rumeal now. He was a Big PG who couldn't score. The major difference of course is that Acie can hit a free throw and can drive the lane. However, Rumeal couldn't hit a free throw (go figure)... Tell PJ.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Acie is good and you can see it. It's just going to take some time for it to happen as a pro. He breaks down defense with his dribble. He has the mentality to drive the lane and he has the makings of a pretty good drive and dish game if our guys moves. I think that it's going to take a little time to do it on this level. He's not a Royal Ivey who needs to be taught to play PG. He's not a JT who doesn't want to play PG. I think he's a PG who needs time adjusting to the speed of the game. The one truth that you said s that basketball is different from his days in the Big 12. That doesn't mean that he won't be good. He just needs floor time.

yep u can see the potential and skills in Acie to be a top flight PG.No many are quick and fast enough to guard the T.J. Fords and Chris Paul types while big enough to guard the Chanucey Billups types.I want to see how good he would guard Baron Davis.I wish his shot will start falling though but u can tell he's not comfortable yet and he's not fully confident in himself now.Just like he said before the draft about making big shots,u can't be scared to miss.He's scared right now.