• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

These Hawks are DEEPLY Flawed

TexasPete

I agree that post scoring isn't that big a deal. I am concerned more about protecting the paint with a bigger and more threatening presence.

I would have dealt for Haywood for example. I just believe we need a better PG, better shooting, and better interior defense. Horford just doesn't seem like a full blown 5 to me. He can play spot time there...just not full time.

Quote:

I agree that post scoring isn't that big a deal. I am concerned more about protecting the paint with a bigger and more threatening presence.

I would have dealt for Haywood for example. I just believe we need a better PG, better shooting, and better interior defense. Horford just doesn't seem like a full blown 5 to me. He can play spot time there...just not full time.

Diop is at the top of my offseason wish list. I think a 4/5 rotation of Diop, Horford and Smith would work.

As far as the pg spot goes we just have to throw Acie out there and take our chances. Having watched him a lot last year i think he can do the job well but he can't do much in only 15 minutes a game playing with bench players.

Quote:

Quote:

Diop is at the top of my offseason wish list. I think a 4/5 rotation of Diop, Horford and Smith would work.

As far as the pg spot goes we just have to throw Acie out there and take our chances. Having watched him a lot last year i think he can do the job well but he can't do much in

only 15 minutes a game playing with bench players.

You literally read my mind sometimes.

I agree with the early post you made about the answer to our post scoring may be right beneath our nose in Smith and Horford.

Add in a Diop or even Hewwood (we knwo Diop has the better attitude and temperment)in the PF / C rotation with Horford, Smith, and Marvin and we realy have something.

Add a shooter at all cost. If that means allowing Chills to walk in FA so we have the cash to sign a shooter, then so be it.

If Law does not come around the shooter money may need to go to a PG but I'm very confident in Law's abilities (over the long run).

This is one of the better discussion the board has had in a while. Everyone is staying calm.

IMO, here are the problems the Hawks have in order:

1) Woodson, the team is too hesitant on offense. Woodson is not inspiring confidence in his players. Woody only trusts two guys on the team: JJ and Lue. McMillan showed what true leadership is from the HC the other night. Every man on that Portland team feels he can contribute. They all seem to know their roles and how they fit into a cohesive whole. Woody panics. Woody is set in his ways. Woody is the least creative offensive coach in the NBA. Hence, all the trades that are being talked about are wasted if Woodson remains the HC.

2) PG, as mentioned earlier in the thread, when AJ plays well the whole team plays well. A vet PG that can still defend is needed for the team. J. Williams or A. Miller seem like the best solutions. To get Williams we may need to explore a 3-way trade.

3) 3-point shooting- This might be handled with J. Will, but we still need a guy that can get his own shot coming off the bench. I propose going after Pietrus or Sefalousha.

4) Post-scoring, getting Gasol would alliviate issue 3 as he would command attention in the post. This would open up shots for JJ and Marvin, while getting the team easy points. The Hawks are loosing games because they can't make easy buckets. Gasol fits so damn well with JJ and Marvin its sick. The defense will be less with Gasol, but the offense will be so much more this trade has to be strongly considered.

5) The ASG- the Mullin firing, the law suit, the general poor PR, it all adds up to this group not knowing what they are doing. Belkin, IMO, is not the solution either. The team needs a single owner that can just get the upper-level management in place and get out of the way. I would actually say this is the #1 problem, but its completely unfixable at this point in time.

I would also be fine with a Diop assuming he resumes playing defense like he was the last two years. Avery Johnson has been sitting down Diop for periods because of his lack of defense, a new development.

My point is that we need a big defensive presence in the middle to eat up minutes. Horford can play some minutes there but I don't like him there full time. It's not in his best interest or the teams.

I understand that bigs who play defense are in short supply. Thats why Dalembert got his ridiculous deal to begin with. I would acquire him hoping that a change of scenery helps his game...see Tyson Chandler, another big overpaid center that the Bulls would love to have back right now instead of Bust Ben Wallace.

Trade Shelden for Patrick O'Bryant. He had a defensive reputation in college, and may can give us that quality 10 - 15 minutes at center that we're looking for.

Ish, maybe Shelden could thrive in Nellie's chuck and duck offense. Instead of Al being the backup center to Biendrins, mybe Shelden could assume that role.