• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hollinger quote

shock

not sure if this has been posted yet....it can be read in the daily dime.

John Hollinger, ESPN.com: OK, so we've heard about Jason Kidd's interest in the Mavs, Cavs, Nuggets and Lakers. But let's turn this on its head -- which team could use Kidd the most?

The answer would be a team with wing players who like to run. A team with a glaring hole at the point and, perhaps, one in need of veteran leadership in the locker room. A team with enough scorers that Kidd wouldn't be asked to provide points, and a team close enough to doing something significant that Kidd could make a real difference.

So tell me, based on those criteria … how do the Atlanta Hawks not qualify?

They have the pieces to make an offer, too, if general manager Billy Knight -- who has a reputation as a reluctant deal-maker -- is so inclined. It would cost them Josh Childress, the expiring contracts of Tyronn Lue, Lorenzen Wright and Anthony Johnson, plus either Zaza Pachulia or Shelden Williams. Atlanta could get Malik Allen back in the deal too (really, Josh Smith, Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams easy buckets in transition that have been frustratingly rare so far this year. And the Hawks only need to rent him for a year and a half (or two and a half if a one-year extension is part of Kidd's ransom), so the risk isn't as big as it seems.

It might be fruitful for Kidd, too -- he gets to play the hero again, just like when he came to New Jersey. Of course, it takes two to tango, and the Nets may get better offers than Childress and expiring deals. But it's worth pursuing, isn't it Billy? … Billy? … Hello?

HE11 YEA.

J Kidd in hotlanta anyday, even with a flu

Getting Kidd will automatically puts in the play offs, i know playoffs arent guaranteed but with Kidd here it is. And is true, he has 1 elite scorer to dish off to, and 2 good scorers in Marv and Smoove.

I can just see it now Kidd lobs it up to Josh for an easy 2 (monster dunk)

Kidd finds Joe in the corner for an easy 3, cha ching

The salary isn't an issue since we would be sending out the same amount in salary that we are already paying. If we could get Kidd without giving up a core player and could follow the move up with getting a decent backup big or two from someplace else for 2nd round picks or something of the like then I would be all over it. He would make us a legit contender in the East. The Clippers announcers were all over it last night talking about how Paul or Deron makes us a top 4 East team and that would be without Marvin, I can't imagine how good we could be with Kidd AND Marvin.

Quote:

The salary isn't an issue since we would be sending out the same amount in salary that we are already paying. If we could get Kidd without giving up a core player and could follow the move up with getting a decent backup big or two from someplace else for 2nd round picks or something of the like then I would be all over it. He would make us a legit contender in the East. The Clippers announcers were all over it last night talking about how Paul or Deron makes us a top 4 East team and that would be without Marvin, I can't imagine how good we could be with Kidd AND Marvin.

Actually not true in salaries. We would be giving up expirings that we do not have to play next year or the year after like Kidd.

If you want to sign Smith then Kidd is not a good idea.

I love it ! We solve our PG and coaching issues !

Even if Kidd was 45 I love it !

Kidd would essentially become our head coach. Woody would just hand the dry erase board to Kidd at time outs.

If NJ takes back nothing but Chills and filler for Kidd I am all over it.

Quote:

If you want to sign Smith then Kidd is not a good idea.

It would be a great idea only if the owners ponied up and go over the cap to resign Smoove.

You would think with 5 owners that $10,000,000 or so of cap tax is only $2,000,000 per owner.....that should be chump change to them. (I know they are brought together by the artificial entity known as the ASG but it can still be viewed in this perspective.)

If only it worked the way it should. Multiple owners should = spending more money....too bad it has not worked out that way.

One solid vet such as Kidd would make us instant contenders. Smoove would play the role K-Mart used to play in NJ's hey day, Marvin plays Jefferson, JJ plays Carter, and Horford is better then any center Kidd has ever played with in NJ.

Maybe Kidd could be open this.

• Moderators

It is hard to see our failure to make this offer to NJ as anything but a failure of ownership and/or the GM. This is a perfect match for us. The other item that wasn't mention is that JKidd immediately and substantially upgrades our defense as well.

Quote:

Maybe Kidd could be open this.

Really? Why on earth would he come to the Hawks? He's almost done and wants to play for a winner. We don't even know who our long term ownerhip is and the current administration hasn't made any significant moves other the Joe Johnson to improve our team. The Spirit group and our GM couldn't possibly give a guy like Kidd the confidence he'd want that we'll make more moves to continue to improve our team. Our coach has got to have one of the worst records ever. We don't have a single true post scorer.

It's pretty simple: We're not an attractive destination for a HOF PG looking to get back into title contention one last time before he retires. Forget the screwed up roster of talented forwards, from an orgnaizational standpoint there's no way we could sign someone like Kidd up.

Well, the only takers seem to be the Mavericks and they seem hesitant to deal Devin Harris for a 34 year old. Plus Hollinger made some decent points.

The Lakers are not longer interested and I don't think the Cavs have the assets. Plus the Nets are no going to hand Kidd over to Lebon James.

Kidd really liked the Nets team of a few years back and we compare quite favorabally with that team

Kidd

Kittles

Jefferson

K Mart

McCallough

Our team is better then that squad if you give us Kidd. Smoove is the running , dunking PF he has missed since K-Mart left. With the Horford gets out the break...Kidd would absolutely love playing with him too.

I agree that we are far from Kidd's first choice but if no other contenders want the 34 year old, then he may favor a move to the ATL.

No that's not true. Kidd is only signed through next year, so we don't have to worry about the following year when it's time to re-sign Marvin. Unless ownership wants a complete mutiny they aren't going to refuse to re-sign Smoove this offseason just because it would put us over the cap. If they did that and we lost him for nothing then they would lose the remaining fan base. Plus 8 million of his salary next year would have been tied up in Chillz and Shelden or Zaza so it's really only adding 10 million in salary next year.

Quote:

Then please stop posting your negative thoughts in every single post too. Wait until the Hawks are good again and jump back on the bandwagon. I'm sure there will be plenty of room.

This team deserves everything I say about them. You do realize they have been terrible for a decade. A DECADE. If it had anything to do with band wagoning, I would have jumped off 5 years ago. The big downside is that as long as this team is bad, I will not be enjoying basketball as much.

I don't know if Kidd would want to play here or not but we would be a playoff lock if the deal went down as proposed. Other than a young PG like Chris Paul or Deron Williams, I think Kidd would be the ideal PG for this team because he plays GREAT D in addition to being the best in the business at running the fast break.

That said, the only way I would do it is if management committed to matching any offer for Smoove next year. It would be HORRIBLE if getting Kidd cost us Chillz AND Smoove.