• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mike Miller for Marvin Williams?

WraithSentinel

There is no rumor going around about it. It would take someone such as Marvin to get him away from the Grizz more than likely. Of course I would offer the expiring and a future 1st just to see if the bite. If not then use Marvin as the center piece.

Seeing as we need a 3pt threat and just outside shooting in general. Mike Miller might be traded. I would seriously consider trading Marvin along with expirings. It is a deal worth considering.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=558

Just looking over Miller stats. He is not another Jason Kapono. I am not sure how his defense is. He rebounds and it appears he is good passer. This on top of shooting the ball with a high % and being a lethal 3pt threat. He has two years left on his contract after this at about $9 Mil per. Well worth it that price.

Quote:

The problem with that swap, is that Marvin is both our starting SF and our backup PF.

That isn't a problem at all since we have Horford.

I would assume that BK will actually get another center this summer, or at least try to.

I don't see why Memphis would do this though unless they bring in a 3rd team that wants Marvin.

I took a second look at this trade of Marv for Mike Miller and looked at everything from current stats to current salray and potential of both players and Iv come to this conclusion: Billy Knight should stick his head in a cannon with live ammo so I can pull the cord if he makes this trade.

I agree with Childress & expirings. I just read that Miller for Ricky Davis (he has an expiring contract) is a rumor, so I would think this would actually be more appealing. Davis is not someone I would expect Memphis to keep after the season, while Childress they can choose to if they want, or try a S&T to get other pieces. thsi just makes too much sense for Billy to be considering it, though. uglyhammer.gif

I wouldn't do Marvin for Miller though. And neither would Billy.

it's definitely a problem sir, if we do it now. It's a domino effect.

Take Marvin away, and a guy like Zaza may have to play 5 - 10 more minutes a night, even if Horford assumes the backup PF role. Either that, or Shel / Solo have to get minutes. If you add a good quality center, then you're right. It's not a problem.

Add Miller to the squad, and we're deeper at the 2 & 3, which may allow JJ to rest more.

The best of both worlds would be to move Chill for Miller. The 9+ million a year deal probably kills that move though.

Quote:

Miller for Childress and expiring contracts but not Marvin.

That is intriguing. Miller is a pure SF like Chills. I have no clue why people think JJ would be the SF and Miller would be the SG. There is NO logic there. Miller can't guard Kobe, Wade, Redd, Roy, Allen, AI, etc. but JJ can.

Chills and Miller are basically the opposite style of ball player. We have other guys who can slash like Chills but no one who can shoot like Miller. Miller is definately in the top 5 when it comes to consistent 3 point shooting. It definately makes us a more balanced team......

We would be able to space the floor with JJ and Miller on each wing. Law could then drive to the hole at will and either find Horford or Smith underneath or JJ and Miller for a kick out. This would make life a lot easier in the half court and the offense would run smoother................Its amazing how much good shooting helps the appearence of any offense. We have to look at both sides though....we would lose the "Tasmanian Devil" in Chills who finishes alot of fast breaks and gets tons of offensive renbounds (but with Miller shooting we would not need as many offensive rebounds anyway).....since Marvin or Smith can also run the floor and do this I probably pull the trigger if the deal is in front of me.

Quote:

The best of both worlds would be to move Chill for Miller. The 9+ million a year deal probably kills that move though.

What do think Chills will make on his new deal....$7 mill per ?

If Chills is making $5 mill then keep him but if he wants more then get a more complete player in Miller for the $9 mill. He would be very tradeable in the last year of his deal if Marvin blows up.

Easy for me to say its not my money. The only trade I recall the ASG making where they actually take back salary is the 2nd round pick for AJ......which barely qualifies.

Damn cheapscapes !

Quote:

Quote:

What do think Chills will make on his new deal....$7 mill per ?

If Chills is making $5 mill then keep him but if he wants more then get a more complete player in Miller for the $9 mill. He would be very tradeable in the last year of his deal if Marvin blows up.

Easy for me to say its not my money. The only trade I recall the ASG making where they actually take back salary is the 2nd round pick for AJ......which barely qualifies.

Damn cheapscapes !

I'd do the Miller for Chill deal. But i also know the mentality of the ASG.

I see enough of Mike to know that he'd be loved and hated here. When he'd start getting lit up by whomever he's guarding, he'd be treated like some treat Lue.

I'd do the Miller for Chill deal. But i also know the mentality of the ASG.

I see enough of Mike to know that he'd be loved and hated here. When he'd start getting lit up by whomever he's guarding, he'd be treated like some treat Lue.

The same can be said for every one on the team. We have heard all these before numerous times:

Smith sucks cause he jacks up too many 3's

Marvin sucks b/c he is not agressive

JJ sucks b/c he doesn't wear his emotion on his sleeves

Chills sucks b/c he can't get off his own shot

AJ sucks b/c he is slow footed

Lue sucks b/c he dribbles the shot clock away

Horford sucks B/c he doesn't take his man off the dribble

ZaZa & Sheldon just suck all the way around

Saim sucks b/c he is a chucker

Law sucks b/c he is not developing quick enough for me

The list goes on and on.

What peolpe type on message boards when feeling emotional should be the least of our worries.

Sure there would be quirks to his game that people will harp over......that happens with ever body, even JJ and Smith.

Quote:

Quote:

I would do this trade, Miller is a better version of Marvin and also has great 3pt range. He's a better passer, rebounder, shoots 50% FG and has shot 40+% from 3 for the last three years. This trade would definitely improve us.

Marvin Williams is 6 years younger with considerable more upside

Marvin will be lucky to ever average those percentages. At this point there Marvin does nothing better than Miller, and Miller is only 27. It's pretty obvious watching Marvin that he doesn't have a TON of potential, he'll never be a great finisher in traffic, he doesn't have the ball handling, quickness, or body control to do it. I'd rather just get Miller who is a better version of the shooting Marvin.

Quote:

Quote:

I would do this trade, Miller is a better version of Marvin and also has great 3pt range. He's a better passer, rebounder, shoots 50% FG and has shot 40+% from 3 for the last three years. This trade would definitely improve us.

Marvin Williams is 6 years younger with considerable more upside

Stop with the age card already dont we have enough young players on this team. Mike Miller is way better all around then Marvin. He was the ROY usa team member the guy is good.

• Premium Member

Quote:

It's pretty obvious watching Marvin that he doesn't have a TON of potential, he'll never be a great finisher in traffic, he doesn't have the ball handling, quickness, or body control to do it.

I was going to say that post was "silly," but I settled on "stupid" as a better word.

Every single season Marvin has been in the NBA someone on here has made a post like this, and every single season Marvin shows marked improvement in his skill-level.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Stop with the age card

People used it, rightfully so, with Smith. Why shouldn't they be allowed the same with Marvin?

(Al Harrington was a much better offensive player than Smith while he was here, and there were some who wanted to keep him over Smith. Those people look foolish now).

Age matters in the NBA, and that's why a Marvin -for- Miller trade is beyond unfair from the Hawks' perspective. Childress is a much more reasonable offer.

Quote:

Quote:

It's pretty obvious watching Marvin that he doesn't have a TON of potential, he'll never be a great finisher in traffic, he doesn't have the ball handling, quickness, or body control to do it.

I was going to say that post was "silly," but I settled on "stupid" as a better word.

Every single season Marvin has been in the NBA someone on here has made a post like this, and every single season Marvin shows marked improvement in the 2nd half of the season.

I like Marvin and he has definitely improved this season, but what is he doing different than last season? He's playing the EXACT same way, it's just that his midrange J's have been falling. Nothing is different. He still can't create, pass, and still can't dribble. He's not a good finisher inside. Again, that's not a knock on Marvin because he is a good player, I'm just saying he has limitations that hinder him from becoming an elite player, IMO. I'd rather go for Miller who is a more developed and complete player.

Honestly how good do you expect Marvin to be? And how do you expect him to get that good? This isn't a sarcastic remark, it's a serious question.

BTW it's not like Miller is some scrub, he's still young, a 50% shooter, a good rebounder and passer, and shoots 40+ % from 3pt range for the past three years. He would definitely improve our team.