Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

You said this:

Quote:

Smoove is at his best at the 5.

Oh well that's a typo.

Smoove at the 5 is something that only worked when we got Big Z out the game.

I meant at the 4 where he can take most PFs off the dribble and where it keeps him close to the basket most of the time on defense where he can patrol the paint

I dont understand why people think Josh has to play like Marvin(shoot mid-range jumper) at the 3.

Bibby is a scoring pg.He can replace Marvin's shooting.

Josh can play the same way he does now.Only it should be easier to to post up sf's than pf's.

Quote:

I dont understand why people think Josh has to play like Marvin(shoot mid-range jumper) at the 3.

Bibby is a scoring pg.He replace Marvin's shooting.

Josh can play the same way he does now.Only it should be easier to to post up sf's than pf's.

It's a lot more difficult for Josh to take SFs off the dribble and it's a lot easier for him not to be around the basket defensively.

It's really no debate where his best position is.

It's clearly the PF. Even Josh sees that now which is why he's been developing his game down there.

Every now and then on a fast break he tries to be the point forward, but overall he has learned where he is the most effective player offensively and defensively

Quote:

I said keep Horford there because he isn't hurting us.

He's only a freaking rookie and he's still manhandling folks down there. He puts on more strength and weight and he can stay there permanently.

Smoove belongs at the 4. At the 4 Smoove has the advantage of taking his defender off the dribble and it also keeps him near the basket which is where you want him on both sides of the ball.

I have mixed feelings about Horfy in regards to playing Center. Here is the problem: He is a rookie, so we dont know how great he will become (he is already very good). I think, for now, he is just fine at the 5. Like you correctly said, Horford at Center is NOT what has been killing us. People fall in love with the "he has to be 7 foot to play Center consistently" prototype. Playing Center is more about brute strength, hard-nosed defense, and post moves than a couple of extra inches. Horford WILL get stronger so that he can bang guys bigger than he is. He will get better on the defensive end. And he will develop some post moves and take guys off the dribble. Do we know how well? Of course not. But I guarantee you, with his character, intensity, and approach to the game, he will come back like Kanye's song...Better, Faster, Stronger!

Or, he might just move to PF and we would have to get a "prototypical" Center. If he was 3 years into the league, we wouldnt even be having this discussion because the choice would be much easier. But, hes not. I say it remains to be seen. It really depends on how he performs next year; he will have a year under his belt, would have played an entire season at Center, know how true Centers bang, and develop some new moves to combat them.

Until then, we need a backup big who will ease the pressure off him that will play about 15 mins a night.

Quote:

You put Smoove at the 3 and you are asking for it, teams would leave him and he would chuck it.

I said it maybe 2months ago, Marvin or J-Smoove will be move and the way J-Smoove has been playing he will MOS DEF be a Hawk.

Guys you need to realize you cant have it all your way. WE NEED A BIG! if Big AL gets into foul trouble we are in BIG trouble.

So, cya Marvin LOL

Quote:

Quote:

You put Smoove at the 3 and you are asking for it, teams would leave him and he would chuck it.

I said it maybe 2months ago, Marvin or J-Smoove will be move and the way J-Smoove has been playing he will MOS DEF be a Hawk.

Guys you need to realize you cant have it all your way. WE NEED A BIG! if Big AL gets into foul trouble we are in BIG trouble.

So, cya Marvin LOL

As much as you wished it happened, it's not gonna happen. Salim Stoudmire is being shopped not Marvin.

JOSH SMITH IS A FORWARD PERIOD. I hate to sound like or use BK's words from 2 or 3 years but in Josh Smiths case it is really true. He is not a 3, he is not a 4 HE IS A FORWARD. He does things that 3's do well and is bad at some things 3's should do well. He does some things 4's do well and is bad at things 4's should do well. You can argue till your blue in the face what position he should play, who cares. When he hits the floor he is a forward. Who he plays with on the floor really depends on how a coach wants to match up.

Quote:

Because you have to spread the floor out. Unless we get Dirk at the 4 spot, you will have Smoove out their trying to slash to the bucket, only to have big bodies waiting on him because our 4 and 5 bigs will be down there already. His man will also sag off him because he isnt a threat from the outside, which will inhibit Bibby's penetration opportunities.

If Smoove gets moved to the 3, what would happen is so predictable that even Woody could figure it out. The defender would lay off Smoove, taking away his driving lane, and force him to shoot or pass. Smoove, being Smoove, would shoot more often than not. And he would miss more often than not.

Quote:

If Smoove gets moved to the 3, what would happen is so predictable that even Woody could figure it out. The defender would lay off Smoove, taking away his driving lane, and force him to shoot or pass. Smoove, being Smoove, would shoot more often than not. And he would miss more often than not.

IF there is no driving lane, then all Josh has to do is turn around and backdown the sf, and post them up.He can do his little spin move and what not.

the biggest point in all of this conversation about moving horford to the 4 and picking someone up/trading for a legitimate 5 is that what legitimate 5 are you going to get?

even if you trade Marvin, good centers are more valuable..the goldent state biedrins thing would be closest you would get...but other than that, who is willing to give up a good center?

i think BK was talking small potatoes...small trade for lesser big man or someone off of the wire...

Quote:

IF there is no driving lane, then all Josh has to do is turn around and backdown the sf, and post them up.He can do his little spin move and what not.

He's going to back someone done from the 3 point line to the paint?

That's often where a 3 gets the ball.

If you don't think Josh Smith will be tempted to take more 3s at the 3, you are being naive.

Not to mention on defense where he will be less likely to patrol the paint

Quote:

Quote:

And then on the other end Smith can just trip the other small forwards as they drive by him and hope the ref doesn't notice.

He can do what he has been doing alot more of at the three point line. That;s stand there at the line and passing to guys like Chill or Horford .

If it come down to trade between Smith and Marvin ,id rather have a guy that is a play naker on both sides of the ball, than a guy that is just a jump shooter.