• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

OT: #2 UT at #1 Memphis

Hatertots

I got cable tv for the first time in four years yesterday, just in time for Atlanta's playoff push and UT's big game against Memphis. As a Tennessee student, I'm obviously a little biased on this one, but I think a lot of these ESPN guys are sleeping on Tennessee. UT's played the 11th most difficult schedule in the nation (as opposed to C-USA scrubs) and if they play like they're capable of- knocking down 3's, applying full-court pressure, and getting points in transition- they have a much better chance than a lot of people think to end Memphis' run.

Regardless, it's gonna be a hell of a game! I can't wait.

Quote:

I got cable tv for the first time in four years yesterday, just in time for Atlanta's playoff push and UT's big game against Memphis. As a Tennessee student, I'm obviously a little biased on this one, but I think a lot of these ESPN guys are sleeping on Tennessee. UT's played the 11th most difficult schedule in the nation (as opposed to C-USA scrubs) and if they play like they're capable of- knocking down 3's, applying full-court pressure, and getting points in transition- they have a much better chance than a lot of people think to end Memphis' run.

Regardless, it's gonna be a hell of a game! I can't wait.

I'm UT alumni. And like you, I can't wait for this game. I love the way the Vols flat out get after people on defense. They're like a defensive version of Golden St. And I'm so glad that Lofton his making his shots now. Earlier in the year, he was struggling big time with his 3. Now, it's like he hardly misses.

The people in Memphis and U. of Memphis students and grads are even more hyped for this game, than we are. It's funny. Memphis people almost don't consider themselves a part of Tennessee. They act like they're Hong Kong in relation to China or something. Technically, they're a part of the state. But they go out of their way to try to separate themselves as much as possible.

I'm glad I can't see the Hawks game on TV. Then again, I may go to a sports bar tonight, and see if somebody has League Pass, so I can watch bot the UT-Memphis and Hawk-Jazz game at the same time.

Ish, let me call around right now.

Two years ago, when Memphis was making a run in the tournament, they were a team that could get up and down the floor on you but not much else. I was telling people back then that Memphis would fall when they ran up against a team that could not only run with them but can defend and slow them down on offense. That's what happened when they met UCLA in the Elite 8. UCLA was a great defensive team, and they slowed the Memphis offense down. As a result, Memphis was so weak in the half court offense that they couldn't compensate. Plus, Memphis wasn't a good defensive team at that time.

This year is different, IMO. This Memphis team is legitimate. They can play up tempo as well as in the half court set. The big thing though is that this team can defend. Joey Dorsey is a beast in the paint, and all of their players are long, athletic, and can block shots. Derrick Rose is the real deal. This guy is a more athletic version of Jason Kidd, and he has given them the ability to play well in the open floor as well as in the half court set.

Both of these teams defend very well. Tennessee gets after you and will foul a lot because they are very aggressive defensively. I'm not sure Memphis has anyone that can match up with Tyler Smith.

This should be a good game, but I give the edge to Memphis because of Derrick Rose and Joey Dorsey. I don't think Tennessee can match up with either of them.

Interesting fact about #1 vs #2 matchups that just scrolled across the screen while I'm watching the UConn-Nova game.

The last road team to win a #1 vs #2 matchup, was UNLV in 1991, when they went to Arkansas and beat them. I loved watching both of those teams back in the early 90s. This Vol team might be more comparable to those great Nolan Richardson Arkansas teams, with their "40 minutes of Hell".

Graymule talks a lot about FTs for the Hawks. Well, both of these teams are pretty horrible from the line. The Vols routinely go through stretches where they constantly make only 1 of 2 FTs. And Memphis is even worse at times. I watched them miss 20 FTs in a game about 2 weeks ago. I think the game may ultmately be decided there.

You're right about Rose though. That kid is special. He flat out dominates games at times. For us, we definitely can't afford for Lofton to come out cold. We need him blazing from the start.

I wonder if Bruce Pearl breaks out the Orange jacket and tie tonight?

Damn, this UConn - Nova game is goooood.

Free throws come tourney time are crucial. I remember when that Syracuse team Mello was on that won the title were outplayed in both their final four games BUT the teams they played could not hit their free throws. I think Kanas missed 20 or so free throws in the final game. I think Texas was horrible from the line vs Syracuse too. I'll admit I really only watch college ball come tourney time but if these two teams are as bad from the line as you say, I expect them to be knocked out of the tourney even with their great records.

Despite what Tark said in his Shark Attack book I think Augmon , LJ and a couple others were involved in at the very least point shaving vs Duke in that semi final game. Vegas was a great team but they were some scumbags. There is no doubt in my mind they could easily have been involved in something like that. They should have killed that Duke team.

• Premium Member

Wooo........UT Alum here also..................Tiger High has been running their mouths for a month............great game...................Could have went either way............great TV game for two teams that get after it. This is probably the best UT squad ever. I remember the days back to Ernie and Bernie Show....that is Ernie Grunfield and Bernard King!!!!

Go Vols!!!

That game had the feel of a Final Four game. Both of those teams got after it last night. I love seeing teams play defense like that. Early on, neither team could miss from the three point line, and then things went a little cold.

That Tennessee team has great character. Those guys didn't panic when Memphis started draining threes in the first half and stayed in the game. There are a lot of teams in college that would have folded at that point.

Derrick Rose is the real deal though. I remember at one point in the game, they said Memphis had made 11 shots. Derrick Rose made 4 of them, and assisted on 4 more of them, so he was directly responsible for 8 of their first 11 made field goals in the game. That kid can play!! He's got that "it" factor. Derrick Rose has Jason Kidd-type floor vision and passing instincts, and his BBIQ is very high.