Woody: "He hit the big shot off his own play"

GameTime

Funny though - sometimes it just comes down to the players you have. All the strategizing in the world doesn't matter. I remember living out in Denver and being a big Broncos fan (everybody is). It was during the 1st superbowl season when Elway was still at QB. Dan Reeves (ooops - it was Mike Shannahan) called a play for a pass to Shannon Sharpe against the Steelers in the playoffs - it was clutch time - we get a 1st down and we can run out the clock. Sharpe lined up on the wrong side of the line. It was all screwed up. Elway called him over before the set. Elway said (and this is documented) "just get open". Sharpe ran out and stopped and Elway hit him with a bullet pass for a 10 yard gain, he caught it, and we won. It was basically sandlot ball between two superiorly talented players. You can't control everything as a coach. detective.gif

A good, scrambling quarterback doesn't always run the exact play that was sent in from

the bench. It may start out that way - see above example - but the defense may cause

things to change.

Hawk's quarterback, Bibby, has enough common sense to know that the same thing applies in basketball. Kudos to Bibby for setting up that play and making it work.

Kudos to Woody for giving him the credit for it.

This statement by Woody raised my opinion of him quiet a bit. He has stated on several

occasions that he is going to depend on Bibby and his experience to help make the

offense of the Hawks what it should be. To me, that means Bibby has become that

extra coach on the floor. I think this is great!!

Quote:

A good, scrambling quarterback doesn't always run the exact play that was sent in from

the bench. It may start out that way - see above example - but the defense may cause

things to change.

Hawk's quarterback, Bibby, has enough common sense to know that the same thing applies in basketball. Kudos to Bibby for setting up that play and making it work.

Kudos to Woody for giving him the credit for it.

This statement by Woody raised my opinion of him quiet a bit. He has stated on several

occasions that he is going to depend on Bibby and his experience to help make the

offense of the Hawks what it should be. To me, that means Bibby has become that

extra coach on the floor. I think this is great!!

Woodson also said in the post game interview that that play was all Bibby. He gave him credit and also said that he would allow Mike to run this team! You got to credit Woodson for deferring to Bibby. He knows he's outclassed and he's stepping aside.