• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Gerald Green provides 'draft-do-over' opportunity

HAWKS1986

Would you rather have the limited Marvin Williams who can't shoot the three, looks clumsy and lost on the court with a limited upside at 21 years old.

Or what you rather give a more athletic, explosive player who can shoot three, attack the basket and is a player more accustomed to a uptempo style. And there is room for improvement and his ceiling hasn't been reached yet..

Give Gerald Green a chance..the Hawks should make a move and get him--NOW!

Green's role would increase the following year when the Hawks move either Marvin and/or Childress via trade..

Draft do-over opportunity..let's take advantage of it..

The Hawks drafted Horford in a virtual do-over from the previous year with Shelden Williams..

Quote:

Would you rather have the limited Marvin Williams who can't shoot the three, looks clumsy and lost on the court with a limited upside at 21 years old.

Or what you rather give a more athletic, explosive player who can shoot three, attack the basket and is a player more accustomed to a uptempo style. And there is room for improvement and his ceiling hasn't been reached yet..

Give Gerald Green a chance..the Hawks should make a move and get him--NOW!

Green's role would increase the following year when the Hawks move either Marvin and/or Childress via trade..

Draft do-over opportunity..let's take advantage of it..

The Hawks drafted Horford in a virtual do-over from the previous year with Shelden Williams..

I agree wholeheartedly...I've always liked Gerald Green and I think he would thrive as a 6th man on our team once the following happens in 2008:

1) New GM and Coach

2) Chillz leaves via FA

3) Marvin is traded for a decent defensive minded C or whatever we can get for him

4) Horford is moved to 4

5) JSmoove moved to 3

6) Diop is signed to play the Dikembe Mutumbo role (not saying he's that good but at least he can block shots)

New 2008 lineup:

C - Diop/Zaza

PF - Horford/Solo

SF - Smoove/(Sign another FA shooter)

SG - JJ/Green

PG - Bibby/Law

Marvin isn't going to get better. I wish that wasn't true, but his skill set is very limited and needed to develop it in college... he was not a polished product coming out of Carolina..

In retrospect, drafting Marvin was a MISTAKE (not as big as drafting Shelden at #5 two years ago, but a mistake nonetheless) ..this is the first time I have publicly said this..

Marvin has had time to grow, but he is just a 15 ft jump shooter and that's it.. no defense, limited range, still indecisive and hasn't come into his own as a player..

• Premium Member

Houston Chronicle

Quote:

The Rockets did not intend to do Gerald Green a favor by cutting him. They needed a bigger body, and they needed it now. They released Green on Saturday to make room for Rice product Mike Harris.

If Green played, practiced and most of all competed as hard as Harris, he would not be unemployed today.
He has a sweet shot and can jump out of the building. Another team will likely take another shot to teach him how to play. It could be the Rockets.

"We have no formal plans for Gerald in the offseason except we will take a close look at signing him," Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said. "We feel the same way about Gerald now as before — lots of potential."

Quote:

If Green played, practiced and most of all competed as hard as Harris, he would not be unemployed today.
He has a sweet shot and can jump out of the building. Another team will likely take another shot to teach him how to play. It could be the Rockets.

Yeah we wouldn't want anyone on our team that can shoot. banghead.gif

It's crazy how so many on here act like our squad is complete and don't want to give someone like this a chance. We have nothing to lose.

We will regret not going after Gerald Green. Put that in your sig.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Yeah we wouldn't want anyone on our team that can shoot.
banghead.gif

Bibby, Salim, JJ, Richardson, and Marvin can all shoot.

If the Hawks are going to use another roster spot for the rest of the regular season, I hope they use it on a big first and a PG second.

I went to The Miami game on Saturday and came away unimpressed with Marvin. He played poorly and was 0 for 8. I realize it was a bad game for him, but he really needs to improve quickly. Zaza is a total waste. Joe was awesome and can't believe some of the talk about him on this site. He had a great game! Josh Smith was impressive and scores easily inside, but still needs to work on his jumper. Bibby looks hurt, but is a real point guard. Childress is always sneaking around the baseline. Al is playing well, but he needs some help inside. I would like for us to pick up a defensive wing player and a big that can defend. We never play the passing lanes and rarely get steals. The guards just drive down the middle and get layups.

The guy can't make it back at home on a team with a great coach how in the world would he improve in Atlanta with Woody? I said it back before he was drafted that he would have a hard time making it in the NBA because he isn't very intelligent, which is a hallmark of the alternative high school he went to here in Houston and he hasn't done anything to disprove that thus far. Just as he was back then he is all talent and no substance. The only thing that he has on Marvin is a better 3pt shot and that's not nearly enough for me to think we should have taken him instead. Maybe if we bring in another coach he would be worth a look on a short contract but as we are currently constructed he would do nothing here. Another Leon Smith at best.

Hell no to Tyson Chandler.

Hell no to Brendan Haywood.

Hell no Samuel Dalembert.

The Hawks have a talent shortage, so Green should be considered.

Last year, some fans had suggested we could get one of these guys, but many said they weren't worth it. Well in New Orleans, Chandler has become a dunking double-double machine in New Orleans, Brendan Haywood is doing alright in Washington and Samuel Dalembert is playing well in Philly. All these teams are in playoff contention.

I would like to get a big man, but Gerald Green is talent that the Hawks can use. Outside of Josh Smith, there isn't a whole lot of athletic, explosive players on this team..

Green is 22 and I think Atlanta would be a place he can fit.. I don't forsee Woodson being here very long, but I believe Gerald can easily replace Marvin and/or Childress and give the Hawks a more explosive, impact players from the 2 or 3 position..

You dont know JACK about Gerald Green except that he is an athlete. If Gerald Green was even remotely viable he wouldnt be getting traded and released all over the league at such a young age. You want him to replace Marvin/Chill?

LMAO. Sometimes this board just reeks of basketball ignorance. You want the scoop on Gerald Green? The problem is he needs a heart transplant. The kid has no work ethic and little professionalism. Physical talent is just one small piece to the puzzle. He is not a professional. He doesn't have the intensity to play ball in a mans league.

Please stop talking nonsense. If you want to keep a Gerald Green as your 15th man then fine. Maybe he grows up at some point. But acting like he's already in a place to put Marvin and/or Chill out is crazy and shows that you know dickweed about how the league works. You think the lousy T-Wolves couldnt use a player? They released a 23 year old for a reason. A damn good reason. And he comes into our rotation now? LMAO.

is that none of those players have had their basketball IQ, or general IQ called into question. I'm telling you from first hand knowledge that the kids that go to the alternative high school that he went to are usually quite unintelligent. If it was just that Green was a guy that didn't give 100% effort like Chandler, Haywood, etc. then I would say he is worth a risk but combine that with a very low basketball IQ and you have a guy that will never make it in this league.

Then again he might thrive in the Woody 1 on 1 system since you don't have to learn any plays Kick_Can_emoticon.gif

• 1 month later...