• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin's game vs Chillz game

Swatguy

Quote:

Who takes more shots per game on the perimeter? I haven't looked it up but I would put money on Smith shooting more jumpers per game than Childress.

EVERYONE takes more shots on the perimeter than Childress. That is because Childress doesn't play on the perimeter. He averages 1 made jumper EVERY TWO GAMES.

Horford takes more jumpers than Childress.

Quote:

Just so I can fully understand what you are trying to say here, you are faulting Childress for doing what he is the best player on the team at, which is scoring inside, right? You would rather him be out on the wing leaving only Horford (and Smoove when he wants to) inside?

Yes. It is called spacing.

With 3 guys inside there is no spacing and nobody for JJ to pass to when he gets double.

As weak as Childress is he isn't the best scorer inside. He gets the ball stripped all the time because he is so weak.

Would you rather have Childress or Smith on the perimeter?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

Who takes more shots per game on the perimeter? I haven't looked it up but I would put money on Smith shooting more jumpers per game than Childress. Again, I haven't looked this up but I would bet that Childress shoots a higher FG% than Smith as well. Are either of those statements incorrect?

Just so I can fully understand what you are trying to say here, you are faulting Childress for doing what he is the best player on the team at, which is scoring inside, right? You would rather him be out on the wing leaving only Horford (and Smoove when he wants to) inside? Well that makes a lot of sense, why not have Bibby post up all game while you are at it. Let's have all of our players not play to their strengths.

Ex doesn't get it.

He has to find some weakness of Childress..

So he has to argue against a 58.5% shooter (62.5% over the last 5 games) Saying that he "takes shots away from Smoove".

Smoove doesn't show the desire to play inside. Ex. Doesn't recognize this because you can't see that in the stats. In the stats, he sees where Smoove may get a few dunks on breaks.. but 34 of his 40 minutes on the floor, his feet are glued to the three point line. Ex. Believes that that is Chillz fault... however, when Chillz is not on the floor, where is Smoove? GLUED to that three point line.

You know why we roll up like a ball when teams play Physically with us? It's because Smoove shies away from Physical play. Watch for it. Next time Smoove is hit. Watch him roll up into a ball, walk back to that three point line and chuck threes... or not be in the offense at all.

However, Ex. wants Chilz out of the post? Sheez.. Chillz gets fouled just about every play. It's like he takes the contact knowingly and seems like he's getting better at scoring after taking the contact.

You want to put him off the team ex? That's stupid.

Childress doesn't get the ball striped from him more than anyone else does and he is clearly the best finisher on the team inside when he is in traffic.

If you are worried about spacing then play Marvin with Childress instead of Smith. That leaves Marvin, Bibby, and JJ on the perimeter and Childress can play inside with Al.

Honestly? I would rather have Smith outside because the only way that both he and Horford can both be on the team long term will be for Smith to play the 3 and Horford to play the 4. There are plenty of examples of players developing good jumpers, just look at Gerald Wallace and what developing a jumper has done for his game. I would love to see the same happen with Smith. I don't see Childress as a long term piece for the Hawks unless Smith is traded so in the meantime I would rather play Childress to his strengths which is scoring inside.

Oh okay, well let's go with your plan of leaving him inside to share time at the 4 with Horford then since you certainly agree with me that Horford's long term future with the team is at the 4. I'm sure that Smith or Horford will love coming off the bench. Or do you prefer to put Smith at the 3 and then have 3 guys in the paint ... oh wait then the spacing would be off. Hmm, so what's your plan then? I'm sure it's a much better plan than Smith working on his jumper to become an effective 3.

Smith took more jump hooks than jumpers in last nights game but he doesn't want to play inside. OK

He has been posting up all season long.

Quote:

However, Ex. wants Chilz out of the post?

Childress doesn't post up anyone. Try watching a game sometime and you can see that. He is too weak to post up anyone but the smallest pgs.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Honestly? I would rather have Smith outside

You lose all credibility right there. Smith has always been a train wreck on the perimeter with his horrible shooting and turnovers.

If you only take bits and pieces of what he said... maybe it would make him lose credibility.

However, the fact that his point was that Horford is a legit 4 while Smoove is a tweener.. and the only way that they will be able to play traditional positions is with Smoove being a 3.. makes his statement valid.

If you want invalidness...

Let's look at your daily criticism of a 58.5% shooter.

That wreaks of invalidation.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Smith took more jump hooks than jumpers in last nights game but he doesn't want to play inside. OK

So let's see.

This sounds like Chillz, Horford, and Smoove were all able to score inside?

Is that what your saying?

So out of your own mouth, that disqualifies what you have been saying about Chillz keeping Smoove outside... Thank you for clarifying that for us Exodus.

Moreover, your statement validates what I and Dolfan has been saying. Smoove can play Inside any time he pleases. Most of the time, he just doesn't desire to play inside.

Now, you may resume your agenda "talking out of both sides of your mouth against Chillz".

Quote:

Quote:

So let's see.

This sounds like Chillz, Horford, and Smoove were all able to score inside?

Is that what your saying?

So out of your own mouth, that disqualifies what you have been saying about Chillz keeping Smoove outside... Thank you for clarifying that for us Exodus.

Moreover, your statement validates what I and Dolfan has been saying. Smoove can play Inside any time he pleases. Most of the time, he just doesn't desire to play inside.

Now, you may resume your agenda "talking out of both sides of your mouth against Chillz".

Childress made 2 threes for the first time all season last night because he was playing more on the perimeter. That is where he should be. If he gets a wide open 3 then he can take it. If someone runs out at him then he can drive by them.

That is the way it should have been all season.

Quote:

Oh okay, well let's go with your plan of leaving him inside to share time at the 4 with Horford then since you certainly agree with me that Horford's long term future with the team is at the 4.

My view on Horford hasn't changed since draft day. I am fine with him playing 15 minutes a game at center and the rest of the time at the 4. There are plenty of minutes inside for Horford and Smith.

Quote:

Or do you prefer to put Smith at the 3

That is your plan not mine. Smith is a train wreck at the 3. Watching him try to take a small forward off the dribble is tough to watch and he isn't quick enough to guard 3s.

Quote:

I'm sure it's a much better plan than Smith working on his jumper to become an effective 3.

While we are in fantasy mode we can appeal to the Quickness Fairy to give him the quickness to beat 3s off the dribble and guard them effectively. We might also make a request to the Ball Handling Fairy.

Okay, so break down your minutes for me with Smith not being a 3. In my ideal scenario Horford would be a 4 playing spot minutes at the 5, but we would have a legit starting 5 so how would you break down the minutes assuming that we had a legit starting 5?

As for Smith beating guys off the dribble, if he is going left he is quite good at that. A lot of his scoring inside that you are referring to from last night was taking guys off the dribble for a running hook in the lane.

Quote:

Okay, so break down your minutes for me with Smith not being a 3. In my ideal scenario Horford would be a 4 playing spot minutes at the 5, but we would have a legit starting 5 so how would you break down the minutes assuming that we had a legit starting 5?

As for Smith beating guys off the dribble, if he is going left he is quite good at that. A lot of his scoring inside that you are referring to from last night was taking guys off the dribble for a running hook in the lane.

It isn't hard to take 4s off the dribble. It is much tougher to take 3s off the dribble.

Those running hooks were the result of post ups. He backed Jamison down and then spun on him. he didn't beat him off the dribble from the perimeter.

Horford 15-20 minutes a game at C

15-20 minutes at the 4

Smith 25-30 at the 4

10-15 at the 3

Mystery center 25-30 minutes at C

It is inevitable that Smith will have to spend some time at the 3 just like Horford will have to spend some time at C. We just have to minimize the minutes and look for favorable matchups.

He did take his man off the dribble quite a few times last night, the announcers were talking about how you have to keep him from going left which he kept doing with success. At the 3 he is a match up nightmare for opponents because he can back a 3 down and drive past a 4.

So what happens in those up to 15 minutes per game when Smith has to play the 3? Do we just go with a crowded paint that includes he and Horford and the 5 or do we trust him to play outside? If he can be trusted to play outside for up to 15 minutes, why not longer?

He has a good stroke on his shot and he is one of the better passers we have on the team. If he can learn to focus more and not try to do too much I think he can be a very good 3.

Quote:

He did take his man off the dribble quite a few times last night, the announcers were talking about how you have to keep him from going left which he kept doing with success.

His "running hooks" were on post ups. I was sitting right on that baseline and he did them right in front of me.

Again it is much easier to beat a 4 off the dribble than a 3.

Quote:

So what happens in those up to 15 minutes per game when Smith has to play the 3?

Playing against a backup 3 he can post him up.

Quote:

If he can be trusted to play outside for up to 15 minutes, why not longer?

He can't be trusted to play the 3. He has terrible shot selection and is a turnover machine on the perimeter.

He has to play some 3 out of necesity.

Quote:

He has a good stroke on his shot and he is one of the better passers we have on the team.

You clearly see what you want to see. Smith is one of the worst volume jump shooters in the NBA as you can see right here:

http://www.82games.com/FGSORT7.HTM

He throws way too many poor passes that result in turnovers. He tries to be fancy and they look good when they work but most of the time they don't. That is why he leads the team in turnovers.

His ball handling and quickness are very subpar at the 3 but not at the 4.

That's why I said he has to learn to make better decisions. I didn't say he was our best shooter or our most successful passer, I said he is one of our better passers. He has great vision and whether you want to admit it or not he has a great stroke on his shot. He has to work on his shot and take better shots but there is no denying that he is a much better shooter and passer today than he was in his first year in the league.

Quote:

He has great vision and whether you want to admit it or not he has a great stroke on his shot.

So why is he shooting like crap during his 4th season of big minutes? Why does he shoot only 70% from the line?

Becuase he isn't a shooter.

Quote:

He has to work on his shot and take better shots but there is no denying that he is a much better shooter and passer today than he was in his first year in the league.

At the rate he is improving he will be a average shooter when he turns 40.

Gerald Wallace is in his 7th season and it wasn't until last year that he really started becoming a respectable jump shooter. Why can't Smith do the same?

I don't believe that Smith's problems are mechanical, they are with concentration, and that can be worked on. He has worked on it and when he focuses he is a significantly better player than when he doesn't.

Quote:

Gerald Wallace is in his 7th season and it wasn't until last year that he really started becoming a respectable jump shooter. Why can't Smith do the same?

I don't believe that Smith's problems are mechanical, they are with concentration, and that can be worked on. He has worked on it and when he focuses he is a significantly better player than when he doesn't.

Wallace's first year playing big minutes was Smith's rookie year. Until then he had hardly played. He shot jumpers then better than Smith is shooting them now.

Not to mention that he has the speed and ball handling ability to play the 3. Smith doesn't.

Your Smith that the 3 argument is based on wishful thinking.