• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin's game vs Chillz game

Swatguy

Quote:

if u wanna look at consistency, do some statistical analysis of the consistency of chillz and marvin over the whole season...

what is their range? standard deviation?

Where did i say marvin was consistent?

I just said Childress wasn't, unless you are saying he is consistently lame in which case i would agree.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

That's the thing everyone hammers Chill on is 'creating shots'. Which is a fair criticism but not if you're using it as a difference between him and Marvin. Marvin's game is knocking down open jumpers same as Chills is shaking free on the baseline. I don't see where either of them are creating their own shots in that respect.

Quote:

Marvin's game is knocking down open jumpers same as Chills is shaking free on the baseline.

First of all jumpers are much more readily available than instances where a player can receive a pass right under the rim.

Secondly when a guy can hit open jumpers consistently it spaces the floor and forces the defense to run out on them even if they don't shoot. That makes it easier for other players to get looks even if he never takes a dribble.

by almost every teams announcers as being the leading 6th man candidate of the year. It wasn't until we were down to 1 gimpy PG that Chillz started "slumping", which was when he was asked to bring the ball up the court and took him out of the game that he is so good at. He is just like every other young player that we have on the team, good at some things and decent at others. He gives great effort sometimes and not so great effort at other times. I know that he is your favorite player to slam right now but damn, give the guy some credit for what he has done this year. Other than this recent "slump" he has had a pretty damn good year and who knows how good he could be if he were playing more with the starters. Just like others have said thank God for Childress being able to score without plays being called for him because we need those hustle points and he is the only player on the team that provides them. Everyone else has plays called for them.

When you have Bibby, JJ, and Marvin all capable of being major shooting threats from outside and even Smoove knocking down J's from time to time it's critical to have a guy that can score inside like Childress does and who gets so many offensive rebounds and gets fouled so often. He is damn near automatic when he gets a put back chance as well. Who else on the team besides him and Smoove can say that?

Quote:

When you have Bibby, JJ, and Marvin all capable of being major shooting threats from outside

That is a nice fantasy but being capable and actually doing it are two different things.

Quote:

even Smoove knocking down J's from time to time

I would prefer someone else knocking down the J's who isn't one of the worst jump shooters in the league. Then Smith could go inside and get many of the baskets Childress does now.

Quote:

called for him because we need those hustle points and he is the only player on the team that provides them.

LOL Smith and Horford both get points on the break and on putbacks.

Those "hustle points" are frequently non-hustle points when he either leaks out early or doesn't bother getting back on D at all.

Not many bench guys get 30 minutes per game so of course Childress' bench production will look good in comparison. But when you factor in how he gets them and his lack of defense his value isn't much.

If they resign him it will definitely lower my interest in the team. Resigning Childress is like making a commitment to mediocrity.

Call it fantasy if you like but they proved it can happen last night. Even without Bibby hitting there were plenty of jumpers made by Marvin, JJ, Smoove, and even Chillz hit a 3 (would have been a pair of 3's if not for a foul on someone off the ball)

Why is it that you believe Smith can't go down low because of Childress being there? Have you considered that maybe Childress is down there because Smith won't go down there?

I don't disagree that they don't get points on breaks and put backs. My point is that neither of them are as good finishing inside as Childress is. He rarely misses inside shots and quite often gets fouled in the process. I don't consider fast break points to be hustle points, I'm talking about working on the glass and finishing in a crowd. Say what you want but Childress it the best on the team at doing that. Horford gets the ball stripped from him too often and Smoove tries to pass out of there too much.

Quote:

Call it fantasy if you like but they proved it can happen last night.

All we need are 82 games against the Knicks.

Quote:

Why is it that you believe Smith can't go down low because of Childress being there?

It is called spacing. They can both be down there with Horford but then who will JJ pass to when he is doubled?

Quote:

Have you considered that maybe Childress is down there because Smith won't go down there?

Smith gets just as many offensive points as Childress and scores most of his points inside. I just want him to do it more.

That's my point, maybe Childress stays down there because he knows Smith won't. To me that is just as likely as Smith not going down there because of Childress already being there and probably more likely because Smith has proven time and again that he likes to shoot jumpers. I would much rather have him down low but if he won't stay down there then someone has to and Childress does a damn good job of it.

You are missing the point.

If Childress, Horford and Smith are all inside where are the passing lanes for JJ when he gets doubled?

Whether Smith wants to go outside more because of Chill is speculation. The spacing effect of having 3 players inside isn't speculation.

No you are missing the point. I DON'T WANT Childress, Smith, and Horford in the paint at the same time. The point that you are missing is that it could be Smith and Horford down low instead of Childress and Horford IF Smith showed the desire to actually play down there. Instead Smith wants to be a jump shooter and that forces Childress to play down low. That's a lot more likely than Smith can't play down there because of Childress not wanting to play outside since Childress has shown he is willing to play whatever role is asked of him and Smith continues to want to be a jump shooter.

Quote:

Instead Smith wants to be a jump shooter and that forces Childress to play down low.

That is just ridiculous.Smith has played inside more this season than he ever has. He didn't post up at all last year and does it a lot now.

Smith wants the ball so he goes where he knows he can get it (outside) when they double JJ. Childress goes where he knows he can score if he does get it (inside).

If Childress was willing to do what was asked of him then he would be playing D and getting defensive rebounds (he only got 3 in 41 minutes tonight) since that is what Woodson has been preaching all season.

Smith only took 2 jumpers tonight. Do you think it is a coincidence that Childress hit 2 threes in the same game?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

called for him because we need those hustle points and he is the only player on the team that provides them.

LOL Smith and Horford both get points on the break and on putbacks.

Those "hustle points" are frequently non-hustle points when he either leaks out early or doesn't bother getting back on D at all.

Not many bench guys get 30 minutes per game so of course Childress' bench production will look good in comparison. But when you factor in how he gets them and his lack of defense his value isn't much.

If they resign him it will definitely lower my interest in the team. Resigning Childress is like making a commitment to mediocrity.

Smith and Horford SHOULD be getting those Hustle points. The truth is that they do not... and that's not CHills' fault. That's the fault of EFFORT. Smoove should be a beast going through the lane and dunking on everybody... however, the truth is he does not. When the lane opens like the Red Sea, Smoove looks at it and takes the open jumper. That's not CHillz fault.

You say that teams can just box out and stop the run out and they can shut Chillz down. Well, it's funny to me that these teams can't seem to do it? Maybe they don't want to leave JJ or Bibby wide open? Maybe they're afraid to take attention away from Horf?

Sheez Exodus. Maybe teams should keep the ball out of Kobe's hands? Maybe if teams could have stopped Shaq from getting in close?

What you fail to realize is that basketball is a team game. I would love to see a team focus all their attention on stopping CHillz. For if they did and we didn't punish them, then Woody would need to be fired.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Instead Smith wants to be a jump shooter and that forces Childress to play down low.

That is just ridiculous.Smith has played inside more this season than he ever has. He didn't post up at all last year and does it a lot now.

Smith wants the ball so he goes where he knows he can get it (outside) when they double JJ. Childress goes where he knows he can score if he does get it (inside).

If Childress was willing to do what was asked of him then he would be playing D and getting defensive rebounds (he only got 3 in 41 minutes tonight) since that is what Woodson has been preaching all season.

Smith only took 2 jumpers tonight. Do you think it is a coincidence that Childress hit 2 threes in the same game?

Why are you ignoring the truth???

Smith has never showed a desire to play down low.

Ever.

How bout this... we're all going to laugh at your theory.. right now...

Click

I want you to notice this boxscore.

JChillz is not playing (injured).

What happened with Smoove?

Wasn't it supposed to be that with JChillz out, Smoove was supposed to play down low and be this great force?

How about most of last season when JChillz was out? Smoove Jacking threes?

Smoove just doesn't have the mentality to play inside.

Watch a game. Notice where Smoove is when Chillz is not in it.

Quote:

Smoove just doesn't have the mentality to play inside.

You seem to be the only one who hasn't seen Smith posting up all season long. He did it several times last night. You just continue to be in denial.

You were the one trying to deny Smith was working with Olajuwon on his post game this past summer. mwahaha.gif

The guy we haven't seen on the perimeter hardly at all is Childress.

Do I think it's a coincidence that once in a blue moon Smith decides to be a post player and Childress moves out to play on the wing (where he is a far better shooter than Smith)? I think it's a pretty rare thing and I will be shocked, yet happy, to see that happen more than every once in a while.

Quote:

Do I think it's a coincidence that once in a blue moon Smith decides to be a post player and Childress moves out to play on the wing (where he is a far better shooter than Smith)? I think it's a pretty rare thing and I will be shocked, yet happy, to see that happen more than every once in a while.

LOL that is just a stupid post. Smith has been posting up all season. He scores only 4.4 pg on jumpers but averages 17 ppg. Where do you thing his points are coming from?

Childress' shot chart tells the real story.

http://www.nba.com/hotspots/

He has taken 367 shots in the area underneath the basket this season and 83 shots everywhere else. That is a ridiculous ratio for a wing player and has nothing to do with Smith.

Marvin starts the game with Smith and gets perimeter shots all the time. Tim Duncan takes a higher ratio of perimeter shots than Childress.

Who takes more shots per game on the perimeter? I haven't looked it up but I would put money on Smith shooting more jumpers per game than Childress. Again, I haven't looked this up but I would bet that Childress shoots a higher FG% than Smith as well. Are either of those statements incorrect?

Just so I can fully understand what you are trying to say here, you are faulting Childress for doing what he is the best player on the team at, which is scoring inside, right? You would rather him be out on the wing leaving only Horford (and Smoove when he wants to) inside? Well that makes a lot of sense, why not have Bibby post up all game while you are at it. Let's have all of our players not play to their strengths.