• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I may have to rethink John Calapari

KB21

I just watched a heck of a game between Memphis and Mississippi State. My Bulldogs couldn't pull it out at the end, but I'm proud of them anyway.

Watching Memphis play though is something else. That team is deep, long, athletic, and can not only run you off the floor offensively, they get after you defensively as well. CoachX commented recently that John Calapari would be a good candidate to coach the Hawks. After watching his team play my Bulldogs, I'm coming closer to agreeing with him.

If the Hawks are going to use an up tempo style, then lets use one where we go all out and also utilize our length and athleticism on the defensive end of the floor.

The only weakness Calapari's Tigers has is their free throw shooting. That will do them in at some point in this tournament, and it almost cost them today. Unlike the Memphis team from two years ago that ran into a buzz saw called UCLA in the Elite 8, this team can push the ball as well as play in the half court set. Chris Douglas Roberts is a crafty guy who you can isolate and expect him to come up with a shot. Derek Rose has that "it" factor though. I'd like to have a guy like CDR coming off the bench for the Hawks.

Anyway, if John Calapari could bring that style to Atlanta and also have the players respect him, then it might not be such a bad move.

No to college coaches please. How often does a college coach come into the NBA and succeed?

If we are going with someone who doesn't have NBA experience I would rather give Mark Jackson a chance. He was one of the best PGs to ever play and defense and passing were very important to his style of play. Just listening to him call games really makes you see how well he knows the game and I think he would be the next successful former player to become a coach.

The thing is, I doubt you are going to find a coach that will coach that style of play and emphasize both the up tempo game and tenacious defense in the NBA. An assistant off Phoenix's staff won't work, IMO, because they don't play any defense.

IMO, the coach that seems to come the closest to coaching an up tempo style as well as stressing defense is George Karl, so one of his assistants might be a good choice.

There are a lot of people that believe the Hawks should be an up tempo team, but they can't play that style without stressing defense, IMO. I'm just not sure the Hawks will be able to find an NBA assistant coach that will stress both philosophies.

Quote:

No to college coaches please. How often does a college coach come into the NBA and succeed?

If we are going with someone who doesn't have NBA experience I would rather give Mark Jackson a chance. He was one of the best PGs to ever play and defense and passing were very important to his style of play. Just listening to him call games really makes you see how well he knows the game and I think he would be the next successful former player to become a coach.

Didn't he used to coach the Nets?

I have to agree that another college coach is not the way for the Hawks to go. The Hawks next coach must be a guy that can come in and say "this is what I did in the NBA and that is a lot more than anyone in this locker-room." I would prefer a guy that has had success as an NBA coach, but I will take Mark Jackson as well. All said, the Hawks need an NBA leader. College coaches just aren't the type of leader that succeeds in the NBA. I watched Pitino blow up in Boston, I don't need to see that scenario repeated here in Atlanta.

All that said, I doubt Calapari would even be interested in returning to the NBA. He is building a solid program in Memphis and he would be nuts to leave.

Didn't he used to coach the Nets?

Ya, he was the head coach of the Nets when they had a tran wreck of a team. When the Nets had Starbury as their PG and

If you want the Hawks to tranform into a true running team, then Calapari can do that. I am not sure how he interacts with NBA veteran players but he sure can motivate and coach young guys. His system just seems to fit the Hawks current roster. I am not saying hire hire him now, just give the guy an interview. He is high risk / high reward candiate. Calapari's style is a lot of fun to watch if you have an athletic teamm with a few shooters. If he can get guys to buy into this system it will work.

I like Mark Jackson alot too. He truely knows the game and could really groom Law to be something special for the long haul.

My ideal choice would be to hire Larry Brown as HC and Jackson as an assistant. Not sure if Brown would buy that. I'm thinking he wants total control of everything. What I like about Brown is that he could team the team to play the "right way." He is a grinder, and the Hawks struggle to win alot of the "grinders."

All 3 of these guys bring something much different to the table. If I were GM I would want to sit down with each to see how they would implement their style to the current Hawk roster and/ or how they think the current roste may be tweaked to fit their style.

All this being said. Woodson just came off one of his better coachng nights vs. the Magic.