• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

F Woody's foul rule!

Brotha2ThaNite

Ok, Al gets 2 fouls in the 1st qrt.-------- Woody takes him out. The score was Hawks 20, Pacers 18.

Al did not see the court again until the 3rd qrt????

Zaza get his 3rd foul in the 2nd qrt... he put in Solo.

What is up with that???

Why does Zaza get to go through the normal rule of you sit a player who has 3 fouls in the 2nd but Woody is scared to trust Al like that?

On top of that ZAZA non-rebound skills kill every time. I know he is a heavy body but what good is that if he doesn't know how to use it 3/4 of the time. shake_puter.gif

• Moderators

Horford has fouled out of one (1) of 73 games this year. When he actually fouls out a little more often (i.e., we get all the time out of him we can) that will be an improvement in my book.

seems like he is trying to protect Al but that can't be true because he did the same to JJ in the game we lost against Philly at home.

1st foul in the 1st qrt. you get benched.

2nd foul in the 2nd qrt. you get benched.

3rd foul in the 3rd qrt. you get benched.... Crazy. I wonder why did he start that rule.

Last night was a very rare night. I can't remember when was the last time he let a player play on after getting his 1st foul in the 1st qrt.

I wouldn't be concerned with picking up a 3rd foul in the 3rd. You've used up half your fouls and you've played OVER half the game. I don't mind taking him out for a few minutes, but not the whole quarter.

Quote:

seems like he is trying to protect Al but that can't be true because he did the same to JJ in the game we lost against Philly at home.

1st foul in the 1st qrt. you get benched.

2nd foul in the 2nd qrt. you get benched.

3rd foul in the 3rd qrt. you get benched.... Crazy. I wonder why did he start that rule.

Last night was a very rare night.
I can't remember when was the last time he let a player play on after getting his 1st foul in the 1st qrt

No, he will play them if they only have 1 foul. But on the seconnd foul (anytime in 1st half), they will sit until 3rd quarter. And on the 3rd foul (anytime in 3rd quarter), he will sit them until 4th quarter.... BS stuff from a BS coach.

Not that I'm trying to excuse Woody, but I think his thought is that he has to have his best players available to close out the games. Being defensive minded, he also figures players in foul trouble won't play hard on the defensive end. He'll sometimes leave a bench player in or a non-essential player in, or maybe even a vet, but he never lets Al, Smoove, or Marvin play until the 3rd qtr if they get 2 fouls in the first half.

Quote:

Not that I'm trying to excuse Woody, but I think his thought is that he has to have his best players available to close out the games. Being defensive minded, he also figures players in foul trouble won't play hard on the defensive end. He'll sometimes leave a bench player in or a non-essential player in, or maybe even a vet, but he never lets Al, Smoove, or Marvin play until the 3rd qtr if they get 2 fouls in the first half.

I would agree with that IF every other coach (or at least most of them) did the same thing Woody does regarding this. However, this is just not the case.

Quote:

Quote:

I would agree with that IF every other coach (or at least most of them) did the same thing Woody does regarding this. However, this is just not the case.

BINGO! THANK YOU! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

You take out your player if he gets 2 fouls in the 1st quarter. You wait until a few minutes into the second quarter, and depending on the circumstances (is your team in a hole? is the backup playing horribly?), you bring him back in and play him unless he picks up his third.

This has been the rule of every pro coach I've ever watched until Woodson. Sometimes he won't bring a player back in the 4th even if he only has 4 fouls! I seriously do not know if he knows you get 6 fouls in an NBA game.

Quote:

Two fouls in the first half?That was important game,but it was coached liked it was some meaningless preseasson game. Maybe Woodson doesn't want Horford to win the rookie of the year. Let the man play,he is the Hawks best option at center. When Solo came into the game in the second Quarter
http://www.hawksquawk.net/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif!

Zaza's the one replacing Horford... not Solomon.

When Zaza picked up his second or third foul in the second quarter,Woodson didn't go back to Horford,he put Solomon in the game to close out the quarter. Last night the Suns Stoudamire had two early fouls,but they stuck with him and eventually won the game. The Suns unlike the Hawks new the importance of theses late season games and coach and play accordingly. Judging by the comments made by Woodson before the Pacers he didn't have the team mentally prepared. I guess the Hawks just aren't use to games with meaning this late in the season.