• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woody on 680 yesterday!

gutz

Quote:

Quote:

You are being such an tool. Clinching a playoff spot is not a vague term. Our magic number is 3 because with 3 wins we clinch. Or 3 Indy losses. That is why 3 is the magic number. It is a fact that right now we need 3 to clinch. If Indy loses, we only need 2. Do you know what clinching means? it means that you are 100% guaranteed to make the playoffs.

Did you even hear the interview, or do you just make whatever assumptions are necessary for you to keep defending Woody? He clearly either didn't know the situation or was mis-speaking, and thought that we needed 2 wins to clinch.

He did not say 2 wins should get us in the playoffs. He said we need 2 to clinch. Two entirely different statements.

Go
HERE.
Do you see the X/Y/Z's that stand for "clinched playoff berth"? If Indy runs the table we will not get one of those with 2 wins.

Or maybe he believes that there's no way Indy will win out, and all we have to do is win 2. You guys are absolutely convinced that the guy is clueless in every aspect of coaching and about this team, that you'll tend to blow every little thing he says or does out of proportion.

Question 1: Do you believe that Indy will win out?

Question 2: Do you believe the Hawks won't win 2 games?

Simple yes or no to each question.

Answer 1: Indy could very easily win out their last 4 games. They have owned Philly the whole year, you know they will kill NY and Charlotte and they can beat Washington. So my answer is yes they could very easily win out but it will be tough.

Answer 2: Honestly i don't know at this point. The only game i'm sure we should win is against Miami but we could easily lose @ NY and at home against Boston and Orlando. I just can't trust this team after that AWFUL loss against Indiana tuesday where all this would be a moot point if we just came out and handled our business. But no we have to choke!

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

I assume you think that Woodson's inaccurate description of what this team needs to clinch a playoff position is close enough so that it isn't meaningful that he gave bad information?

I agree with you that our odds are still great to make the playoffs and I absolutely expect us to make it.

If I said that if Derrick Rose would've made both FTs to put Memphis up 4 with 10 seconds to go, that Memphis would win that game, would that be considered "bad information?"

Technically, Kansas ( without ANY timeouts ) could've raced down the court . . hit a 2 or a 3 with 3 seconds left ( because they would've have to go the length of the court and either get to the rim, or get a decent look from 3 ) . . fouled Memphis again to put them on the line . . hoped they missed both FTs . . grab the missed FT . . and shot a desperation 3 from about half court with no time left to either tie or win the game.

Yeah, it could happen, but highly unlikely in that scenario.

Me believing that Memphis wins if Rose put them up 4 with 10 seconds left, may not be an absolute truth, but it isn't a bad assumption or bad information.

If I had $1,000, I'd bet that Memphis wins that game if they're up 4 with 10 to go.

And if the Hawks win 2 games, I'd do the same and bet they're in the playoffs.

I think the guys who are extremely worried about the Hawks, think that the Knicks are going to beat us, while Indy beats Philly. As JackB says . . . it's a "doomsday" mentality.

What you are saying is that being up by 4 with 10 seconds to go gives you the same odds of losing as the odds of Indiana winning 4 in a row or Atlanta losing more than 2 of 4 games.

I don't buy that for a couple reasons.

First, as other have said, "clinch" means eliminating any mathematical possibility of failing to reach the playoffs. Maybe Woodson misused the term. If so, he was just saying that we will clinch for all practical purposes with 2 wins. I don't like hearing my head coach say that, though because:

Second, the odds are extremely low of losing a game while up by 4 with 10 seconds to go. You can probably only find a handful of examples of this happening in all of college basketball this year.

In contrast, the odds of Indiana winning 4 in a row aren't so bad. They have already done it 3 times this season and they have a good schedule down the stretch to do it. The odds of are not comparable to Indy running the table.

Likewise, the Hawks have lost 3 of 4 numerous times this year (at least ten times without double using any losses). The schedule is hardly open and shut either given that we have lost to loser teams like Seattle, Milwaukee, etc.

In short, Woodson should not be taking anything for granted and should be acutely aware of what his team needs to ensure itself a playoff spot this year.

The situation isn't dire but as the coach of the team you better have your finger right on the spot.

Quote:

You are a fukcing retard. According to you if he believes Indy won't win out and he believes that we will win 2 games,
he should just go ahead and declare that we've clinched a playoff spot.
I'm not wasting any more time on you. Clinching has a defined meaning no matter how you try to spin his mistake.

I'll disregard the insults, and ask you again:

Do you believe that Indy will win out?

Do you believe that the Hawks will NOT win 2 games?

Simple questions Lascar.

• Moderators

Quote:

ask you again:

Do you believe that Indy will win out?

Do you believe that the Hawks will NOT win 2 games?

Simple questions Lascar.

My $.02 is that I would bet $$ on the those not happening but not too much because either is a realistic possibility.

Why would I respond to the Chewbacca Defense? It doesn't make sense. Our odds to make the playoffs have nothing to do with when we will clinch. I could have told you in January that the Celts were certain to make the playoffs, and yet I would have called Doc Rivers an idiot if he said then that they had clinched the playoffs, or were 2 games away for that matter. They clinched a week or two ago. Would it be ok for Woody to say today that we've clinched a playoff spot?

Quote:

What you are saying is that being up by 4 with 10 seconds to go gives you the same odds of losing as the odds of Indiana winning 4 in a row or Atlanta losing more than 2 of 4 games.

Yeah, pretty close. When you look at who we have to play and the place and situation we have to play them in, compared to Indy's. Yeah, those are pretty much long shot odds.

Quote:

I don't buy that for a couple reasons.

First, as other have said, "clinch" means eliminating any mathematical possibility of failing to reach the playoffs. Maybe Woodson misused the term. If so, he was just saying that we will clinch for all practical purposes with 2 wins.

I think he missused the term, like you said. Our magic number to "clinch" is indeed 3. Than can happen 4 ways

- Hawks win 3

- Hawks win 2, Indy loses 1

- Hawks win 1, Indy loses 2

- Hawks go winless, Indy wins 1

The scenario of the Hawks winning 2, while Indy loses at least 1, is by far and away the most likely scenario to happen. That's why I believe that Woody believes that two wins basically "clinches" the spot for us, even if it doesn't technically do it until Indy loses ( which will probably be tonight ).

Quote:

I don't like hearing my head coach say that, though because:

Second, the odds are extremely low of losing a game while up by 4 with 10 seconds to go. You can probably only find a handful of examples of this happening in all of college basketball this year.

True

Quote:

In contrast, the odds of Indiana winning 4 in a row aren't so bad. They have already done it 3 times this season and they have a good schedule down the stretch to do it. The odds of are not comparable to Indy running the table.

False. Indy has only won 4 in a row one time this season, from March 17 - 22 when they beat NY, Charlotte, Minnesota at home, and Chicago on the road. If they win tonight, it will be the 2nd time they've done it. If they win out, they'd have won 7 in a row, and 9 out of 10 to close the season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teams/schedule?team=ind

Quote:

Likewise, the Hawks have lost 3 of 4 numerous times this year (at least ten times without double using any losses). The schedule is hardly open and shut either given that we have lost to loser teams like Seattle, Milwaukee, etc.

Ehhh . . yes and no. While we have lost 3 of 4 numerous times, we're a perfect 6 - 0 vs Miami and New York, and 2 - 1 vs Orlando. That's an 8 - 1 record vs those 3 teams. It's not an open and shut case . . but it's damn near one.

And we've done something that Indy hasn't done, and that's win 5 in a row. Matter of fact, we've done it twice.

I'll say it again. If we can't beat the Knicks and the Heat, we don't deserve to be in the playoffs anyway. Having said that, I'd be shocked to see the Knicks just lay down and die for us. We'll have to fight to win. But we should win.

Quote:

In short, Woodson should not be taking anything for granted and should be acutely aware of what his team needs to ensure itself a playoff spot this year.

The situation isn't dire but as the coach of the team you better have your finger right on the spot.

I agree. I just think that people are way too dramatic about everything that Woody does, so I like to mess with them a little about it.

If Woody only washed his hands for 15 seconds, people would be all over him, telling him that he needs to wash his hands for 20 seconds, to kill all of the germs.

People don't realize that we're playing some of our best ball in 9 years recently. They act like we're in the midst of a 7-game losing streak. I'm just trying to get people to enjoy the fact that this team is about to make the playoffs, and they won't find a way to blow it.

But it's hard to shake the loser mentality, when you've lost for so long.

Quote:

Answer 1: Indy could very easily win out their last 4 games. They have owned Philly the whole year, you know they will kill NY and Charlotte and they can beat Washington. So my answer is yes they could very easily win out but it will be tough.

Indy is 4 - 1 vs both Philly and Washington. They're 1 - 2 vs Charlotte. They are perfect vs the Knicks. So I can see where you're coming from, a little. But . . .

. . . they haven't beaten a team over .500 since the end of February ( Toronto ). They've only beaten 2 teams over .500 in 2008 at the time they played them ( Toronto and Golden St ) and they haven't played Philly since they've gone on their hot streak. Philly was 10 games under .500 the last time Indy played them. And they've played all of those Washington games without Arenas on the roster. They're two totally different teams these days.

Quote:

Answer 2: Honestly i don't know at this point. The only game i'm sure we should win is against Miami but we could easily lose @ NY and at home against Boston and Orlando. I just can't trust this team after that AWFUL loss against Indiana tuesday where all this would be a moot point if we just came out and handled our business. But no we have to choke!

I'm sorry, but that's terrible. The same argument of "ownage" that you use to justify Indy beating both Philly and Washington, is "unsure" when it comes to New York, Orlando, and Miami?

We're a combined 8 - 1 vs those teams. And the one game Orlando did beat us in, they had to his 15 threes to do it and score 74 points in the 1st half. Yet, "you don't know" if we can get it done?

People . . . please have confidence in your Atlanta Hawks. The 4 games they've lost in the past 4 weeks, were all against teams in desperation mode. And all of them were on the road. Just show more faith in your Hawks.

Quote:

Bottom line is we don't automatically clinched a playoff spot if the Hawks win 2 out of 4. Woody said the Hawks will automatically clinched a playoff spot if the Hawks win 2 out of 4. Woody is wrong.

End of Discussion.

Woody is always wrong, until he proves people right. So when the Hawks win 2, and we get in, he'll say . . . "see . . . nothing to worry about".

Here's a prediction. We'll have 2 wins by Monday, and be in the playoffs.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

False. Indy has only won 4 in a row one time this season, from March 17 - 22 when they beat NY, Charlotte, Minnesota at home, and Chicago on the road. If they win tonight, it will be the 2nd time they've done it. If they win out, they'd have won 7 in a row, and 9 out of 10 to close the season.

You are right. Yahoo lists the preseason on their schedule.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/ind/sche...cal&m=10&y=2007

That said, they have won 3 in a row 4 times this season and are playing very well right now with Jermaine ONeal back from injury. That is significant considering their winning % is better than ours when he is playing.

Will you give me 20 : 1 odds against them winning out? A 5% chance is not likely but is significant enough to plan against - much higher than the 4 points w/ 10 second left.

Houston winning 20 consecutive games is unrealistic and can be discounted - even though it is still possible. A team like Indy winning 4 in a row is realistic and cannot be discounted.