• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ira wants to stay a Hawk

Hawksman

In Chicago to visit with Bulls officials, free agent Ira Newble told reporters Wedesday he would like to stay with the Hawks, where he spent the past two seasons. But the uncertainty surrounding ownership and the front office has forced him to explore other options.

"There's real chaos down there right now," Newble said in Chicago. "It's confusing."

How confusing? When Newble walked into Bulls practice facility, guess who he bumped into in the hallway? Hawks coach Terry Stotts, in town to discuss an assistant coaching job with the Bulls.

"I spoke to him three days ago and he didn't tell me he was coming," Newble said. "He doesn't know what his future is, so he has to do what he has to do and interview for jobs also."

Stotts is under contract with the Hawks until Aug. 15, but he has a clause which allowed him to talk with teams after June 30. He was contacted by the New York Knicks for the assistant coaching job that was eventually taken by former Hawks head coach Lon Kruger.

"These are very unusual times," Stotts said earlier this week. "It's going to be a tough decision for me, because I think [being head coach of the Hawks] is a good opportunity for me. But I don't want to go without a paycheck."

After bouncing around for a few years, Newble would like to sign a three-year deal and have some stability. Known more for defense, he averaged 11.9 points in the Hawks' last 13 games.

Outside of the holdups in David McDavid's bid to buy the team, the Hawks are limited in free-agent pursuits because they are in luxury-tax territory with more than $50 million tied up in the eight players under contract for next season.

That figure doesn't include the guaranteed money slated for first-round pick Boris Diaw or the $2.93 qualifying offer tendered to restricted free agent Jason Terry.

"I've spoken with Ira, and he said he'd still like to be in Atlanta," said Hawks director of basketball operations and interim general manager Billy Knight said Wednesday. "We certainly like him, and wouldn't be averse to bringing him him back, same thing with Dion [Glover]."

• Premium Member

He realizes he can probably get more money and Playing time out of us. However, I'm willing to let him walk. First, I don't think we should beat Chicago's 1.8 million for Ira. I think Ira's agent will push for a 3 million dollar deal.

Secondly, I would like to see what Diaw and Hansen have to offer. We need to get MORE Athletic. I would spend the money on DJ (if he is healthy enough) than on Ira.

Thirdly, if we can't find a trade, JT is going to eat us up...

look from IRA NEWBLES position...

last year, he took a long time with his negociating. Now that hes got 2-3 teams wanting him, he will have more options and more control. Last year, we were the only team wanting Ira... it was either take our offer or play in the CBA. Well, it isint like that anymore.

In atlanta, he knows his role. He knows and is confident playing in atlanta and i believe him when he says he wants to come back here (he could start here and may not get many minutes elsewhere).

But think about it in his perspective. Hes fame is at the highest of his career, its in his best interest to go after the big money. IMO- the most he'll get from any team is 2-3 million a year for 2-3 years... will the hawks match that? we're about to find out!

Newble could start here? no. I'm pretty sure GRob is unfortunately our starting SF and Diaw will be our starting SG. Don't be fooled by Diaw's size, he's more of a PG/SG than SF. Newble's ball handling is too weak to start at SG, esp. when we drafted Diaw (and hansen) for that very reason. I would love for Ira to play instead of GRob, but it won't happen. Nevertheless, I REALLY want to re-sign Newble. it's key to have some great defenders. If we sign him I won't really care about losing Glove, maybe even DJ

Yes, ur right- Newble doesnt have enuf handlers to be our starting SG. And yes with GROB, he wont be our starting SF.

But note this

1)We havent even seen DIAW play! Dont automatically add him to our starting lineup just because he was our first rounder. These days- first rounders are more of a project. Diaw/Hansen have equal chances of starting for our team.

2)The fans know it and the MANAGEMENT DEFINITELY KNOW IT- that we play better without GROB. Im sure there are trying to trade GROB right now for the right offer... i wouldnt be surprised if hes out of here before the season began. But then again- with the slow McDavid sale, it wouldnt surprise me if he stayed.

THIS DEAL NEEDS TO GO THROUGH so we can start making our moves like everyone else. We are already behind in the FA game. Take this metaphor:

All the teams are lineup for a race... every other team gets a head start and we are still at beginning line. While the race is far away from being finished, the other teams have the clear advantage so far...

WE NEED TO CATCH UP!!!

I have seen Diaw play some, and I've read alot about him, and I am convinced that he is capable of starting. Particularly given his competition on this squad. I partly grew up in france so I'm somewhat biased, but still. he was drafted to be a distributor immediately alongside JT. He's been in high-pressure situations and respnded well. He's a top notch defender. The only uncertainty is that no one's seen him with an nba defender on his back, but I'm not worried about it. I agree with everything else you say, I'm just saying I doubt Newble will start. He will get more minutes here than other squads he's considering so I do think he'll return