• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Interesting thought about the new coach.

Diesel

• Premium Member

What if the new coach comes in...

Put the ball into Law's hand and find out that Law is a baller.

Then he gets Horford up to snuff...

And with no pressure.. he plays Marvin off the bench and develops Smoove as a true Sf.

Would this vindicate BK??

I can almost bet that Fratello would play Bibs off the the bench and probably let Law be his starting PG.

He would also play Horf at PF even if it meant making Zaza the starting Center!

I think the one thing that Wood has had to contend with since his second season is the need to justify Marvin.

Marvin starts rain, snow, or dead of night. I think Wood has finally realized that this is the best that you will get from Marvin. Overhyped Jump shooter. So he gives Marvin the Ivey treatment. Yeah, you start, but soon... I replace you with a player who can do more for the team.

I think the Spirit also realize that Marvin can't be justified and it's better to play somebody else.

A new coach will probably have the room to play Marvin off the bench!

Quote:

I actually think that if we go with a vet coach like Fratello or Brown, they would have more of a problem with Smoove.

I don't. Based upon the comment that Fratello made the other, I'd say that Fratello would love to work with him and coach him up. Fratello said during game 1 that Smith was a very good athlete that is just beginning to scratch the surface of his potential. Based on that comment, it doesn't seem as if he'd not want to be bothered with Smoove. Rather, it seems as if he'd like to coach him and turn him into a very good player.

Sure...until he throws a lazy one hand pass into the stands....and then carrys the ball on the next posession.

Changing his game will not happen over night, there will be growing pains; and he would probably be benched at some point during a season under a Fratello - Brown type.

Ultimately, if we are able to get a good coach that Josh respects, he could become a very very good player.

After the owners decided not to fire him and to alow him to stay, there was ABSOLUTELY no reason to feel the need to "validate the Marvin pick". I think in the minds of most coaches, who starts is an affter thought. Marvin probably starts because Chill has proven that he can be effective off the bench. If Chill started, would that mean Marvin would only play 15 minutes?

To the cntent of the original post, I'm more interested in seeing if a new GM comes in if he will still be asked to build a team with a bottom 5 payroll. At the end of the day, I can piece together a better home theater system with $6,700 than I can with $5,600. Add 4 zeroes and the same applies to piecing together a competitive basketball team.

Quote:

Put the ball into Law's hand and find out that Law is a baller.

Then he gets Horford up to snuff...

And with no pressure.. he plays Marvin off the bench and develops Smoove as a true Sf.

Would this vindicate BK??

I can almost bet that Fratello would play Bibs off the the bench and probably let Law be his starting PG.

He would also play Horf at PF even if it meant making Zaza the starting Center!

I think the one thing that Wood has had to contend with since his second season is the need to justify Marvin.

Marvin starts rain, snow, or dead of night. I think Wood has finally realized that this is the best that you will get from Marvin. Overhyped Jump shooter. So he gives Marvin the Ivey treatment. Yeah, you start, but soon... I replace you with a player who can do more for the team.

I think the Spirit also realize that Marvin can't be justified and it's better to play somebody else.

A new coach will probably have the room to play Marvin off the bench!

The problem is that someone other then BK needs to hire the next coach because BK, given his track record, cannot identify coaching talent if his life depended on it.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Did this really need a new thread? How about your other "new coach" thread from earlier today? rolleyes23d.gif

Are you a thread critic or are you here to add input. Anybody with half of a brain can see the differences between the two threads... One talks about what should we look for in a new coach... the other talks about the challenges that any new coach would have with the make up of our team and how Woody and BK's performance has influenced those challenges. Are you so green that you don't understand how to interpret this simple basketball talk?? Is it a must for somebody to talk down to you for you to get pass your doom and gloom or your overly joyfulness on the board?

Moreover, as thread critic, do you realize that the simplest way to be critical of a thread is to not address it whatsoever? You haven't noticed that most of the board is critical of your threads? Maybe the silence is something you mistake for agreement?

jordan2.jpg

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I actually think that if we go with a vet coach like Fratello or Brown, they would have more of a problem with Smoove.

I don't. Based upon the comment that Fratello made the other, I'd say that Fratello would love to work with him and coach him up. Fratello said during game 1 that Smith was a very good athlete that is just beginning to scratch the surface of his potential. Based on that comment, it doesn't seem as if he'd not want to be bothered with Smoove. Rather, it seems as if he'd like to coach him and turn him into a very good player.

Actually, I got the same feeling about Fratello watching the 2nd game. He was very critical of Smooves play and he pointed out when Smoove did the right thing. I know that's part of the job, but he didn't have the same intensity when talking about guys like JJ or Pierce. I think he sees the potential in Smoove and probably believes that he can make Smoove into a slasher.

Fratello also talked about the lack of focus we have and the fact that we should look to move the ball around in the halfcourt set and look to run in the full court set. I imagine if Fratello was asked, he'd strongly consider.

In fact, here's how the hot seats look:

Larry Brown = Charlotte.

Van Gundy = NY.

Mark Jackson = NY.

Mike Fratello = Atlanta??

• Premium Member

Quote:

After the owners decided not to fire him and to alow him to stay, there was ABSOLUTELY no reason to feel the need to "validate the Marvin pick". I think in the minds of most coaches, who starts is an affter thought. Marvin probably starts because Chill has proven that he can be effective off the bench. If Chill started, would that mean Marvin would only play 15 minutes?

To the cntent of the original post, I'm more interested in seeing if a new GM comes in if he will still be asked to build a team with a bottom 5 payroll. At the end of the day, I can piece together a better home theater system with $6,700 than I can with $5,600. Add 4 zeroes and the same applies to piecing together a competitive basketball team.

I don't think that way at all.

IN fact, I think it's just the opposite.

Any coach that comes in will use his own system. IN that system he will utilize the pieces that work the best for it. No coach will take Mike Woodson's system and try to perfect it! Therefore, there's a 50:50 chance for guys like JC, MW, Smoove, and even Bibby as to if they start or not!

• Moderators

I think Josh Smith's talent guarantees that he will start unless there is an attitude problem that needs correcting. The guy is a competitor and big contributor. Marvin, Bibby, and Childress all could start but are not so good that they must start at this stage in their careers.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think Josh Smith's talent guarantees that he will start unless there is an attitude problem that needs correcting. The guy is a competitor and big contributor. Marvin, Bibby, and Childress all could start but are not so good that they must start at this stage in their careers.

I like Josh Smith's potential just as much as the next guy. However, another coach might find that it's better to play Josh in certain matchups.

Honestly, we have a mix and match of pieces... trades may be made by the start of next season. I wouldn't be surprised to see Horf given the PF spot under another coach. The fact that Smoove lacks a true offensive identity.... will mean that he will be hard to fit into most coaches offensive game plan.

My hope is that he develops either some slasher ability or some low post offensive skills.

I wonder why Smoove nor Marvin nor any of our guys have ever gone to a big man camp?!!?

Interesting new twist to the coaching situation, do you think he resigned so that he could come to the Dirty Dirty?

Larry Brown has left the Philadelphia 76ers again.

Brown resigned Thursday as Philadelphia's executive vice president after barely two years on the job.

Brown rejoined the Sixers in January 2007 more than three years after he left his coaching job to take the same position in Detroit. He led the Sixers to the 2001 NBA finals.

• Premium Member

The rumblings are that Larry Brown has the itch again.. but he's itching for:

Charlotte, NY, or Atlanta.

If I'm brown, I have to like the situation in Charlotte.

You have a franchise big man. Very good defensive players. Good shooters. And you have enough player capital that you can probably get a good vet PG.

Brown could go back to NY. His problem there was Isiah. He has Walsh now. Marbury is gone. Some of the young guys are still there... Enough draft capital and player capital to get what you want.

Brown in Atlanta... may work also. Only problem is Bibby. I don't see Brown wasting time training Law nor spending time maturing Bibby. But Bibby got good trade value.