• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

After Tonight

Jody79

There should be no more talk about trading Josh Smith for this and that. All season long, this guy has been huge for the hawks playing out of position. When the heat was on, he came up big. He's got HEART. You can't teach that.

Take a very close look at just exactly who came up big in this game and who was no where to be found. Who was on the floor at the end and what guys made the difference.

A key point for tonight's win: the hawks (despite being much smaller up front) limited the celtics to one shot and didn't allow them to get second chance points. The celtics reverted to shooting long jump shots. That worked out well for the hawks.

I can't say it enough but, if the hawks can get two solid centers (one to start and one to come off the bench) who will just defend the lane and box out for boards while moving Horford and Josh Smith off of having to guard bigger guys, we're going to be seeing ALOT MORE WINS like this.

• Premium Member

The problem is that Josh's huge offensive games are usually those rare games where he makes a bunch of perimeter shots.

We really shouldn't be evaluating him based on his perimeter shooting at all. His importance to the Hawks has to do with his defensive fundamentals and the aggressiveness with which he's attacking the basket.

Josh Smith was huge..it was alot more than his so called lucky 3 point shots. He ran the floor, got some key rebounds, blocked some shots, and hit open jumpshots too..he took it to KG!!! I loved every minute of it too..I wouldnt trade Josh Smith yet..sorry yal lol

That maybe true but, the REAL reason that the Hawks won this game again is because they limited the 2nd chance points and controlled the boards. ALOT of that has to do with size on most nights. The hawks got it done tonight because Josh Smith and Al Horford played really well on the boards. People ask why they can't do this everynight and a big reason why they can't is because they have problems controlling the paint and glass and that's directly related to them being undersized.

Bottom line, it's not all about what he has to work on. The kid has HEART and plays big in big games. You can't teach that. We can talk about all the developing of other guys and all, but if they don't have the HEART to step up in big games, it doesn't matter. Let them be role players. Josh is a keeper.

Josh has great games DEFENSIVELY when he's focused and active -- helping out from the weakside, boxing out, staying in front of his man w/o fouling and OFFENSIVELY when we're pushing the tempo and moving the ball wall, allowing him to get easy buckets in transition or dunks/alley-oops with his unguardable athleticism... essentially, other people need to play well and get him involved on offense, and he needs to play under control and make good decisions.

He's has bad offensive games when he's "asked to" create shots on his own or spot up and take jump shots, even open ones. Yes, he made a few tonight, but that's still not his game or his strength.

Because his game, at least offensively, is so reliant on our team's overall play and a Smoove giving constant effort, you're going to see a great deal of inconsistency until we have a steady, distributing PG (Bibby can be this some of the time), as well as a focused Josh Smith. I think a new head coach would go a long way to making sure our PG (Bibby or Acie) and Josh play like this -- and force us to push the tempo -- so yeah I would say don't trade Josh and just get someone to force us to play up to our potential, as we saw tonight...

• Premium Member

Quote:

There should be no more talk about trading Josh Smith for this and that.

On a side note, it would be really hard for the Hawks to trade Smith anyway. He's going to be BYC.

The "trade Smith" calls came early in the season when he was not playing well. And, as is inevitable with sports' fans, I'm sure they'll resurface in a year when he's BYC wears off.

Quote:

Bottom line, it's not all about what he has to work on. The kid has HEART and plays big in big games. You can't teach that. We can talk about all the developing of other guys and all, but if they don't have the HEART to step up in big games, it doesn't matter. Let them be role players. Josh is a keeper.

I'm not questioning Josh's heart at all, but it's obvious that he gives inconsistent effort from game-to-game and even within games. It's also clear that he wants to be a scorer who can slash to the basket and take long-range jumpers, when clearly those are both weaknesses of his. Both of these things are simply a matter of discipline, but him continuing to do so is certainly to the detriment of the Atlanta Hawks... in other words, it doesn't help us win. I hate to say these things after such a phenomenal performance, but since you brought it up....

He had a GREAT game tonight tho... played under control, limited bad shots, and we moved the ball very well. Smoove and Horford both pass well for big men, and with those two and JJ/Bibby if we can take care of the ball and pass it we should be this efficient on offense every night.

I agree. It's not likely that Josh gets traded due to his restricted free agent status and value. That said, there have been some talking about trading him for Biedrins or Okafor. It's nonsense. This guy has played big in big games all year. The hawks need to add two solid centers to go with Horford and Smith up front. They don't have to be offensive minded centers. Just two guys who will play like they're 6'10 and 6'11 instead of like they're 6'1. Controlling the paint and the boards improves everything especially when you have the size to do it. Just ask the Celtics.

• Premium Member

Quote:

People ask why they can't do this everynight and a big reason why they can't is because they have problems controlling the paint and glass and that's directly related to them being undersized.

Didn't a fellow by the name of Dennis Rodman lead the league in rebounding and control the paint for chicago for several years? And I think that he was smaller than Josh Smith. Rebounding is more than just size my friend!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Good point but, there's only been one Dennis Rodman and
Josh Smith isn't that.

You're right Josh Smith isn't Rodman, He is twice as athletic as Rodman

By the way, Karl Malone was 6'9" Barkley was 6'4" Ben Wallace 6'6" Carlos Boozer 6'9" Amare Stoudamire 6'10" Shawn Marion 6'7" Antonio Davis. Heck even Kurt Thomas at 6'9" averaged over 11 rpg one year. All of the players above have averaged over 11 rpg at least one year in the league. Many of them multiple times. Size is not the only factor as you can see!

You're right. Size is not the only factor. However, all those guys you mentioned were very strong, LOVED contact in the paint, had big frames and had banger's mentalities. You can't simply give a guy this type of mentality. Either they have it or they don't. Josh is no banger. He's more successful when he faces up and dives to the basket. He's not a physical player. Al Horford on the other hand is a guy who fits right in with the players you mentioned. Horford will become a STAR at his natural position of power forward. Does that mean Josh has to go? Of course not.

Many claim that playing him at the three would be a disaster. Not true. He came into the league playing that position and did VERY well for a kid straight out of high school. He even started at the two guard spot in a game against Detroit in which they blew the Pistons out in Detroit. He blocked 10 shots in a game against Dallas playing the small forward.

If the hawks could improve their interior defense and rebounding (which is critical to winning) by adding a couple of decent big men, why not do it? Josh can play some power forward but, why should he have to when he's not a true power forward?

I would think adding a couple of decent centers would give the hawks more depth. Why force guys to battle bigger guys every night when they don't have to.

• Premium Member

Quote:

If the hawks could improve their interior defense and rebounding (which is critical to winning) by adding a couple of decent big men, why not do it? Josh can play some power forward but, why should he have to when he's not a true power forward?

I would think adding a couple of decent centers would give the hawks more depth. Why force guys to battle bigger guys every night when they don't have to.

If the Hawks didn't dispel the myth that they can't play interior defense and rebound the ball with Josh Smith 9 rebounds Horford 14 rebounds and Williams 6 rebounds in 24 minutes, I don't know what will! Smith and Horford create match up problems for bigger guys in this league that can't keep up with them on offense and if they play like they did tonight, they will hold their own on defense. And even though Garnett got 32 points, he #1 had to work and #2 hit a lot of outside shots.

Certainly there will be a few inside players in this league that will give them trouble and Howard comes to mind. But Howard has trouble passing out of double teams and a poor foul shooter. And I agree, having a big guy off the bench would help in that situation. But for the most part, Horford and Smith can handle most power forward-center combo in the league on defense and should destroy them on the offensive end of the floor!

Quote:

There should be no more talk about trading Josh Smith for this and that. All season long, this guy has been huge for the hawks playing out of position. When the heat was on, he came up big. He's got HEART. You can't teach that.

Take a very close look at just exactly who came up big in this game and who was no where to be found. Who was on the floor at the end and what guys made the difference.

A key point for tonight's win: the hawks (despite being much smaller up front) limited the celtics to one shot and didn't allow them to get second chance points. The celtics reverted to shooting long jump shots. That worked out well for the hawks.

I can't say it enough but, if the hawks can get two solid centers (one to start and one to come off the bench) who will just defend the lane and box out for boards while moving Horford and Josh Smith off of having to guard bigger guys, we're going to be seeing ALOT MORE WINS like this.

JS simply played out of his mind in game 3. People want him to box out, shut down his man on the perimeter, jump over players for the ball, post up everyone, drive the ball all the time. It's hard to do that on both ends of the floor without tailing off unless you are MJ who had the desire and motor unmatched.

The reason he and his teammates were able to do that was because he fed off the adrenaline of the crowd and able to sustain a high energy level on both ends of the court throughout. The Kobes, Lebrons, and MJs are the players that can play anywhere and can feed off of a hostile crowd or a cheerful one all the same.

That's the next duration for JS to become that PLAYER because he has the physical tools and can't let the atmosphere bother his mind frame too much.

MW is that guy that usually fades during the last 15-20 minutes of games but still played a decent game. Bigs are not going to sign here and you must give something valuable to acquire them. Every team in the league would over pay to sign a above average Center if they could.