• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Where we lost tonight...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Tonight we lost on three places..

1. Rebounds.

We let a scrubb like Powe come in and take rebound after offensive rebound and singlehandedly keep Boston with a lead.

2. Fast Break points.

We thrive off of fast break points... for many reasons. Mainly because when we're running, it increases our enthusiasm and mainly plays to our main strength... we have athletic forwards. Well, tonight, Boston did everything they could to stop us from getting it going.

3. Shot selection.

We didn't get the memo to late that the way we can stay in the game is to take smarter shots. Josh Smith getting the ball with three seconds left on the clock.... or Horford getting the ball at the top of the perimeter with 2 seconds left on the clock is not what we want.]

To our credit, we increased our on the road scoring average. Moreover, we made it to the line a lot.

If we get a chance to play game 7, here's Diesel's remedies:

1. Learn to initiate the offense from Joe Johnson being doubled.

If Joe Johnson is being doubled, even if it's on the switch... that means that somewhere, there's a 4 to 3 advantage offensively for the Hawks. Our post players should be around the basket and our standstill shooters should be in their spots. As much s--- as we can give Bibs, the truth is that he didn't really take a bad shot. No crazy shots... but shots that just didn't fall. However, I think that there's some value in playing Acie a little more. First off, Acie is bigger. Second, Acie will drive to the basket... ALL the way to the basket. But if we can get to game 7, then I think we have to ride JJ. JJ has to be the one to break down the Celtics defense. Doc doesn't have any other tricks up his sleeve. We've seen all that he has.

2. USE the Psychological advantage.

if we win game 6... we come into game 7 with a huge psychological advantage. We're not the paper champion here. Boston will have the weight of the world on their shoulders. I think it's a strong possibility that if a game 7 goes down, they come out flat. If they do, we have to jump on them immediately. Make them think that none of their coaching will work. This is a team full of quitters and Sam Cassell.

Quote:

1. Rebounds.

We let a scrubb like Powe come in and take rebound after offensive rebound and singlehandedly keep Boston with a lead.

2. Fast Break points.

We thrive off of fast break points... for many reasons. Mainly because when we're running, it increases our enthusiasm and mainly plays to our main strength... we have athletic forwards. Well, tonight, Boston did everything they could to stop us from getting it going.

3. Shot selection.

We didn't get the memo to late that the way we can stay in the game is to take smarter shots. Josh Smith getting the ball with three seconds left on the clock.... or Horford getting the ball at the top of the perimeter with 2 seconds left on the clock is not what we want.]

To our credit, we increased our on the road scoring average. Moreover, we made it to the line a lot.

If Joe Johnson is being doubled, even if it's on the switch... that means that somewhere, there's a 4 to 3 advantage offensively for the Hawks. Our post players should be around the basket and our standstill shooters should be in their spots. As much s--- as we can give Bibs, the truth is that he didn't really take a bad shot. No crazy shots... but shots that just didn't fall. However, I think that there's some value in playing Acie a little more. First off, Acie is bigger. Second, Acie will drive to the basket... ALL the way to the basket. But if we can get to game 7, then I think we have to ride JJ. JJ has to be the one to break down the Celtics defense. Doc doesn't have any other tricks up his sleeve. We've seen all that he has.

if we win game 6... we come into game 7 with a huge psychological advantage. We're not the paper champion here. Boston will have the weight of the world on their shoulders. I think it's a strong possibility that if a game 7 goes down, they come out flat. If they do, we have to jump on them immediately. Make them think that none of their coaching will work. This is a team full of quitters and Sam Cassell.

Leon Powe did grab some offensive rebounds and had Chillz guarding him a few times, and Powe just outhustled and outmuscled the weaker Chillz. Powe just wanted it more.

Our forwards are athletic, but outside of Josh Smith, they aren't great 'finishers'... Our athletic forwards end up losing the ball, fumbling the ball or turning it over or getting it blocked..

Woody's lack of minutes for our bench also hurt us. Celt's strategic use of bench players has been significant. On the other hand Woody has not let Salim, Acie, Solo, et al develop over the season and thus not prepared to contribute. Even in light of this Solo has shown a good presence on the floor the short time he's played. Hope we keep him around.

I think the biggest issue was our offense and Bibby's inability to penetrate and distribute. Heck, he even has trouble dribbling in any sort of traffic. Notice how Acie looked when he came in. I was hoping that Woody had seen the light and was going to lean on Acie this game when it was evident Bibby was going to be ineffective. A PG who can get in the lane and score or dish can cure a lot of ills when the offense goes stagnant.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

1. Rebounds.

2. Fast Break points.

3. Shot selection.

Leon Powe did grab some offensive rebounds and had Chillz guarding him a few times, and Powe just outhustled and outmuscled the weaker Chillz. Powe just wanted it more.

Our forwards are athletic, but outside of Josh Smith, they aren't great 'finishers'... Our athletic forwards end up losing the ball, fumbling the ball or turning it over or getting it blocked..

This whole series.. weather we win or lose, I'm always asking... Why don't we box out. I think it's defensive scheme related but we leave the door for a guy like Powe to edge in and kill us on the offensive boards. And then when we do get a rebound we either throw it away (bibby) or we get it took from us (Marvin) .

• Moderators

Great post, D!

Quote:

1. Rebounds.

This is an area that has to be improved. Marvin and Smoove were especially dissappointing. 72 minutes and 7 rebounds. That just isn't going to cut it.

Quote:

2. Fast Break points.

Like Smith said in the paper today, they have to run even if it is on made baskets and is just running down and pulling it out to setup the offense. You have to push the Celtics and try to prevent them from setting up their halfcourt defense.

Quote:

3. Shot selection.

Where I really saw a problem was way too much one-on-one play and not enough passing. What happened to all those assists in Game 4?

Quote:

This is the absolute truth. I was extremely dissappointed that we weren't ready for the double teams on JJ. If there was one obvious adjustment the Celtics were going to make for this game it was to return to double and triple teaming JJ. They did it earlier in the series with success and got torched in Game 4 when they didn't. You knew it was coming and weren't prepared. That is totally unacceptable game preparation in my mind. I liked it the few times JJ threw the ball to Horford who immediately attacked the basket and forced the Celtics to leave someone wide open due to the 4 on 3.

When JJ is doubled, you have to swing the ball and immediately attack rather than move it around and let the Celtics recover.

Quote:

Hopefully we will come out strong in Game 6. The crowd will be hugely pumped. I will worry about the mindset for Game 7 if we get there.

They lost because Josh Smith is only worth a d@mn some of the time, Bibby sucked, the bench produced nothing, Childress has produced nothing, and Marvin has given nothing. JJ has played alot better the last two games and Al has played well in some fashion almost every game. The rest of this team... Well, there isn't much you can say.

The Hawks will regret giving Josh Smith a big contract this summer. You have to show up more than every once and a while to earn a big contract.

I didnt get to key in on this last game, but seemed like we gotta run JJ like rip, off the ball picks and screens...i specifically remember one series like this was when he caught the ball took the 3 in the corner and he drew the 3 shot foul. This should make the double team easier for him to manipulate with his great handles. They seemed to be defending the pick n roll while hes handling the ball alot better, trapping him and making him more frustrated. I know the catch and shoot isnt his forte really, but its about giving him as much time to assess the situation; where the double team is coming from, find the open man...and if they single cover him, drive, draw the foul, step back, whatever. He can create on single cover confidently. Also as Josh smith can attest to (he always gets called for fouls on silly defensive picks)...we can draw more fouls on them as they try and chase and run through screens. There was a ton of hand checking going on last night too when they tried to defend against us driving the ball...i noticed we contest up top, they manhandle and go for the strip for the most part.

There was very little emotion and hustle from the Hawks from very early on. We were a lot more composed throughout the game than we were in the first 2 Boston games but the jumping around and being athletic and emotional and forcing the Celtics to run with us was completely absent. We got out hustled all night long and it was clear that they were already thinking about getting the game back to Atlanta to rely on the home court. That's why we are so damned inconsistent is because we take so many games off and its really embarrassing.

Bibby looks pitiful out there turning it over. I swear he and Marvin are slicking their hands up before the game. Both of them need to use stick um.

Smoove, Horford, and Childress all got out hustled to loose balls and rebounds.

JJ was too much of a one man show, which I was afraid of after his 4th quarter effort from the previous game.

The only thing that we did well was getting to the FT line and making our FTs. There were a few really bad officiating calls but it wasn't completely one sided at least.