• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Childress is averaging 6 ppg

exodus

in 30 minutes for the series yet nobody even bothers to criticize him for it. I guess the expectations for Childress have fallen so low that people must expect only 6 ppg out of him.

We should probably let West take a lot of his minutes. I am sure West could score 6 pts in 30 minutes and at least he would play some defense.

Who knows I dont know why he isnt considered a bust. I really think him and MW should be traid bait. We could get our first rounder back. Plenty of teams like the cavs and spurs would like these clowns but dont really have anything to give up.

Quote:

Who knows I dont know why he isnt considered a bust. I really think him and MW should be traid bait. We could get our first rounder back. Plenty of teams like the cavs and spurs would like these clowns but dont really have anything to give up.

I would be fine with it if they just let Childress walk. Marvin may have some trade value since he averaged 15 ppg and is still young. I am not fond of either player.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Well, the main reason is because (except for last night) with Chillz, the effort is there. You statheads kill me. If you look at Marvin's line from last night, he got 12 or 14 points. I guess you say that's good. However, when you actually watch the game, you can see that not only does Marvin's contribution mean nothing.... he doesn't give this team a lick of spark.

Chillz on the other hand, he brings a ton of energy to this team when he plays. He's going after rebounds, he's bringing the ball up, he's making the extra pass. He's just doing a lot of stuff that are statistically not measure. You can see the change in the team's energy when Chillz is on the floor vs. when Marvin's out there.

Quote:

He's just doing a lot of stuff that are statistically not measure.

The problem is that we need points and defense and he brings neither. As bad as Marvin has been this series he is averaging almost twice as many points as Childress. That is just sad.

Mario gives good effort when he plays.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

The problem is that we need points and defense and he brings neither. As bad as Marvin has been this series he is averaging almost twice as many points as Childress. That is just sad.

He provides the things we need to get points.

He does provide defense.

Just because you don't see Blocks on the sheet doesn't mean he doesn't provide defense. Just because you don't see points on the sheet doesn't mean he doesn't contribute.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He provides the things we need to get points.

He does provide defense.

Just because you don't see Blocks on the sheet doesn't mean he doesn't provide defense. Just because you don't see points on the sheet doesn't mean he doesn't contribute.

What i see is a guy who is too weak to fight through screens and too slow to close out on shooters or keep guys from driving past him. What i see is a guy who can't create his own shot or create opportunities for others.

And when i look up at the scoreboard i see the point total for the Hawks and Childress isn't contributing much to that total.

Quote:

I think it has more to do with Woody's lovefest for Childress than anything. Childress is basically a SF version of Zaza... only thing he's good for is offensive rebounds.

haha good one i never thought of that.

This is hilarious. Childress is one of the smartest players on our team, he can play the point, he 's a good defender and REBOUNDER... the reason he racks up so many more offensive boards is b/c on defense he guarding the perimeter players and usually contesting shots so he's no where near the basket. He's been getting all sorts of praise from Fratello and his +/- in our last win was +18 compared to Marvins -10. I just don't understand the motivation for going after Childress when there are so many other players not showing up. We're a much better team w/ him on the floor. There are plenty of teams who would love to have a guy like him on their team.

Some of y'all just don't understand the value of role players.

Chillz does need to go ahead and take a few more jumpers. He mainly will only take a wide open 3 here and there and is doing even less of that in the playoffs. Otherwise he's pretty much been a normal Chillz which is pretty effective just in an ugly way. He's blocked or altered many shots and passes (especially coming behind for blocks). He practically turned around the 1st quarter of game 4 with his rebounding surge (go check the stats, for a 5-10 min period he might have outrebounded both teams combined). His slam in game 4 was a top5 highlight of the day and really solidified our crowd backed run to the win.

I agree that is defense is effected by his lack of foot speed but his length does make up for some of that. If we had no shooters, his lack of being able to generate his own shot would be a problem, but in my mind we have plenty of other players that can, including Marvin.

I'd gladly resign Chillz assuming he can be locked up for $5-7mil per. The Chillz, Marvin, Smoove, Horford combo to me kinda reminds me of a smaller version of what we had in the 80's where we just kept bringing good forwards into the game. It's the basic strength of the team even if another player (JJ now, Nique before) was the by far the key player.

Quote:

Childress is one of the smartest players on our team, he can play the point, he 's a good defender and REBOUNDER...

LOL Childress has more late game brain farts than any TWO players on the team. Just because they put him at the point doesn't mean he can play it. He is far to slow to guard other pgs and can't create for others at all. His assist numbers are a joke.

He spends the majority of his minutes at the 3 and there is no excuse for his pathetic defensive rebounding.

http://www.82games.com/0708/07ATL8C.HTM

Quote:

We're a much better team w/ him on the floor.

On the season the Hawks were -126 with Childress on the floor.

http://www.82games.com/0708/07ATL8D.HTM

my only criticism with the way that Chill is playing is that sometimes he passes up the open 3 pointer or jumpshot...he can shoot and should when he's open and he's pass up a few....

also he is sometimes a one-man wrecking crew when driving the ball...last night he got blocked so in my opinion he should dunk and if he' snot close enough to dunk, yet sees he's got people collapsing, he should dish it.

• Premium Member

The problem is that Childress is a defensive role player, and is being asked to be an offensive role player, something he's not capable of doing consistently.

I certainly hope the Hawks keep that in mind when filling out the bench next season.

Quote:

The problem is that
Childress is a defensive role player
, and is being asked to be an offensive role player, something he's not capable of doing consistently.

I certainly hope the Hawks keep that in mind when filling out the bench next season.

mwahaha.gif

• Moderators

Quote:

Chillz does need to go ahead and take a few more jumpers. He mainly will only take a wide open 3 here and there and is doing even less of that in the playoffs.

That is the truth. They are leaving him WIDE open on the perimeter.

Neither is playing well, but Childress is still playing better than Marvin in this series. He's rebounding much better, not turning the ball over, shooting better %'s and averaging an extra assist.

Childress is only averaging .4 turnovers in this series, and before last game Marvin was averaging almost 3 per game while only playing 28 minutes, that's terrible.

My complaint about Childress is as mentioned, not taking the open jumpers and not making free throws. He's a 80+% free throw shooter all season and is now shooting 38% from the line? Terrible. I can't complain about him not being able to guard PGs, he has no chance to do that anyway.