• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Childress' development

D.R.P.

It appears to me that his potential has reached its peek. He can’t create his own shot because it takes him to long to shot the ball and he can’t post smaller players up. We’ve seen time and time again where he has tried to post up smaller players yet he’s too weak to back them down; also he can’t shoot over top of a smaller player because of that slow release. (He couldn’t post up Earl Boykins IMO) There is no room for his offense game to grow with that release. People try to compare his release to Shawn Marion’s yet Marion’s release is rather quick; Shawn doesn’t need 5 feet to get his shot off.

It’s amazing to me how many idiotic posts there are claiming Marvin has no potential to get better or that Marvin is a bust, when the truth is those people are really talking about Childress. Even though Marvin’s development has been a major disappointment the fact is there has been some development unlike Chills. Marvin posted up PP yesterday and scored on a turnaround fade-away jumpshot. There is no way Childress could do that.

I like the energy Childress brings but the truth is that he a highly limited player. Don’t people realize we could have had Andre Iguodala instead. IMO if Iguodala had been drafted than no way Marvin would have been the pick the next year over a point guard. Remember Billy Knightmare wanted Joe to play the point so that Childress wouldn’t have to go to the bench.

Paul/D.Williams and Iguodala >>>> Joe Johnson, Marvin Williams, and Josh Childress.

Quote:

It’s amazing to me how many idiotic posts there are claiming Marvin has no potential to get better or that Marvin is a bust, when the truth is those people are really talking about Childress. Even though Marvin’s development has been a major disappointment the fact is there has been some development unlike Chills. Marvin posted up PP yesterday and scored on a turnaround fade-away jumpshot. There is no way Childress could do that.

Exactly. Marvin has also shown a reliable jump hook.

What has Childress added to his game? Nada

Marvin's jump hook is anything but reliable because he refuses to try it or can't get into the lane to try it. When he tries to post up he fumbles the ball away or takes a shot without a prayer of going in hoping for a foul.

His jump shot has been inconsistent lately too. If it weren't for his D I wouldn't even want him in the game right now because he is hurting the team on offense. Not that anyone other than JJ (and sometimes Smith) are any better though.

Quote:

Marvin's jump hook is anything but reliable because he refuses to try it or can't get into the lane to try it.

Teams are aware of his jump hook now and are guarding against it. Marvin hasn't figured out a counter yet.

Quote:

LOL that was a pure luck shot. Marvin has never made a shot like that in his entire career, he'll never do that again. The facts are that Childress rebounds better, passes better, turns it over less, shoots a better %, finishes inside MUCH better, and as sad as it is a better 3pt shooter. Neither one of them can create their own shot, but at least Childress doesn't force it and end up turning it over like Marvin does.

Quote:

I like the energy Childress brings but the truth is that he a highly limited player. Don’t people realize we could have had Andre Iguodala instead. IMO if Iguodala had been drafted than no way Marvin would have been the pick the next year over a point guard. Remember Billy Knightmare wanted Joe to play the point so that Childress wouldn’t have to go to the bench.

I wanted Iggy pre-draft 2004 also, but lets not go overboard. Josh Smith AND Josh Childress had better years in 2004 than Iggy. That would not have stopped Silly Knight from making the retard Marvin selection.

Quote:

LOL that was a pure luck shot. Marvin has never made a shot like that in his entire career, he'll never do that again. The facts are that Childress rebounds better, passes better, turns it over less, shoots a better %, finishes inside MUCH better, and as sad as it is a better 3pt shooter. Neither one of them can create their own shot, but at least Childress doesn't force it and end up turning it over like Marvin does.

That shot wasn't a pure luck shot. Anyone could see that Marvin took his time and shot that with confidence. To say he won't never make that shot again is just foolish. The key for Marvin is to take his time and not try to force things. Just like Josh Smith, Marvin needs to focus on things he has sucess with (jump hook, turnaround jumper, catch and shoot) and stay away from the things he struggles with (going to hole, dribbling to much). Childress shots a better percentage because he never shots the ball it just tip ins on offensive rebounds. The truth is Childress has no chance to create his own shot yet Marvin can when he's not tripping over his own feet.

It looked like pure look to the people that don't expect Marvin to be able to make that shot and until he does it a few times it will look like luck. It was a beautiful move and a beautiful shot but he definitely needs to do it several more times before I get too happy about it. He has shown a few new moves this year but he rarely uses them.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The facts are that Childress rebounds better, passes better, turns it over less, shoots a better %, finishes inside MUCH better, and as sad as it is a better 3pt shooter. Neither one of them can create their own shot, but at least Childress doesn't force it and end up turning it over like Marvin does.

[

These are the facts and they remain undisputed. PERIOD.

Childress is what he is... A hustle player that you can plug into the game and if the game goes uptempo, he flourishes.

Marvin is the second coming of Tim Thomas. A guy with Potential but no desire... so his potential is cancelled out like a bounced check!

Quote:

Quote:

The facts are that Childress rebounds better, passes better, turns it over less, shoots a better %, finishes inside MUCH better, and as sad as it is a better 3pt shooter. Neither one of them can create their own shot, but at least Childress doesn't force it and end up turning it over like Marvin does.

[

Childress is what he is... A hustle player that you can plug into the game and if the game goes uptempo, he flourishes.

Marvin is the second coming of Tim Thomas. A guy with Potential but no desire... so his potential is cancelled out like a bounced check!

Hustle players can usually play D. hustle players hit the defensive boards. Childress doesn't do either.

He is averaging 6 ppg in the series in 30 minutes that is an undisputed fact.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

[

Hustle players can usually play D. hustle players hit the defensive boards. Childress doesn't do either.

Noone says Childress has played great, but he's played better than Marvin IMO.. And Childress does well on D when he plays SF, but when he's forced to guard PGs and quick small SGs it's tough to guard that. Guarding Ray Allen is almost impossible without help because he runs through tons of screens on every possession.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

[

What do you consider Playing D??

Who do you think Shut down Rondo in games 3 and 4??

Why do you think Wood left him in the game at the end of games 3 and 4??

Maybe it was because Marvin was missing rotations and Chillz was everywhere he was supposed to be.

Game 5 was not a good game for Chillz. However, he still has played better defense than Marvin.

Quote:

Actually fighting around screens so guys won't get wide open 3s. Keeping guys in front of you instead of letting them go past you. Holding position when someone is trying to back you down. Things Childress can't do.

Chump is averaging 6 ppg in 30 minutes. That is just plain pathetic.

Quote:

Quote:

Actually fighting around screens so guys won't get wide open 3s. Keeping guys in front of you instead of letting them go past you. Holding position when someone is trying to back you down. Things Childress can't do.

Chump is averaging 6 ppg in 30 minutes. That is just plain pathetic.

So if we're using this series to determine how we move forward (and throwing out the 82 regular season games), then I guess we have our defensive center in Zaza, because he has been fairly effective in this series. And since Marvin is averaging around 10 forgettable points, we should dump both he AND Chill and start over at the SF. I mean, it's so EASY to score on Boston, that's why the team is averaging 120 points a game in this series, right?

No doubt Chill excels in a fast-paced offense, as shown in the last 20-25 games after Bibby arrived. And this series is anything but a fast break exhibition for the Hawks. That's why Marvin's play has been such a huge disappointment. His game should translate well in a more deliberate offense. I struggle to see where someone like Jarvis Hayes (UFA and Atlanta native) couldn't give the Hawks exactly what we get from Marvin.

Quote:

Zaza, because he has been fairly effective in this series

Not really. guys are shooting and getting offensive rebounds over and around him routinely.

Quote:

we should dump both he AND Chill and start over at the SF

Actually i would be ok with getting rid of both of them and getting a quality 2 or 3 to play alongside JJ.

Quote:

No doubt Chill excels in a fast-paced offense, as shown in the last 20-25 games after Bibby arrived.

Huh? He looked like the same 12 ppg player to me.

Quote:

I struggle to see where someone like Jarvis Hayes (UFA and Atlanta native) couldn't give the Hawks exactly what we get from Marvin.

Could be. And I think Mario could replace Childress' "production".

Quote:

Don’t people realize we could have had Andre Iguodala instead. IMO if Iguodala had been drafted than no way Marvin would have been the pick the next year over a point guard. Remember Billy Knightmare wanted Joe to play the point so that Childress wouldn’t have to go to the bench.

Paul/D.Williams and Iguodala >>>> Joe Johnson, Marvin Williams, and Josh Childress.

Just offtopic, but in the draft if we didn't take Childress I think Jefferson would've been a better pick.

I agree that Chillz isn't gonna get much if any better. The rest of this discussion has just been hating IMO. Chillz was rated the 9th best SF in the league this year if I remember correctly from a previous post. He's a versatile role player. Iguodala and Deng probably are a little bit better so the pick wasn't the greatest. I'd still take Chillz for what we'll be able to resign him for vs what it will take to sign Iggy or Deng.