Newble signed to Cavaliers

Ira_Newble_Fan

Cavaliers Sign Free Agent Ira Newble

Associated Press

CLEVELAND - Forward Ira Newble signed with the Cleveland Cavaliers on Tuesday, providing much-needed depth to the team's frontcourt.

Newble, who spent the past two seasons with the Atlanta Hawks, became the Cavaliers' second free-agent signing. Point guard Kevin Ollie signed last week and will help work with top draft pick LeBron James.

The players split the team's $4.9 million salary cap exception for veterans, team spokesman Tad Carper said.

"Signing Ira Newble takes our plan another step forward," Cavs general manager Jim Paxson said. "He's a big, strong veteran player that will play an important role for us this season."

Newble will likely back up Darius Miles at small forward. He started 80 of his 115 games the past two seasons with Atlanta and averaged 7.7 points and 3.7 rebounds with a .495 field-goal percentage in 2002-03.

Diesel hates the Hawks loosing Big Dog.

Diesel doesn't want Jason Terry as point guard.

{He would love him as a #2, if he was taller}

I hated to loose Neuble. He was certainly one of my favorite

Hawk players. When they are not playing the Hawks,

then I will be rooting for Newbie and his new team.

Kinda saw the handwriting on the wall there, but big ups to Ira. He's a prime example of a player who has EARNED his stay in the L. I hope he'll be a good mentor to his more heralded teammates in Cleveland who, unlike him, had instant stardom and notariety upon comin into the L. Big ups to Ira...

J