• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Brandon and Wolverton on the GM search

khaos7

Tune in today to Brandon and Wolverton on 790 at 11 this morning. Per Jeff Wolverton, he has information on the search. Apparently, it's down to two candidates. They teased that they'd let everyone know on their show. Hope that it's valid information and names we can wrap our arms around.

I trust Jeff Wolverton, in the sense, he's not the shock jock type. I doubt he'd talk about it unless he thought it was true.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info. Kinda reminds me of what the falcons did (IF they get lindsey). Get someone who was apart of one of the best franchises that might not have had the keys to the operation but was heavily involved.

I dont see why he wouldnt make the move to the hawks. Maybe this could pave the way for Avery coaching here. Who knows, one step at a time.

I looked at Sheppard's resume after Sekou put him on the list and I didn't think it was as impressive as Milt ? who is also with the Wizards and was on Sekou's list.

Here's the good thing, however, about where these guys work. Both the Wizards and Spurs are fairly structured and systematic. Spurs have a traditional offense and fierce defense and believe in having a roster full of role players surrounding 2-3 stars. Wizards run a modified Princeton offense. They both have definitive playing personalities and you could identify their styles even if they were wearing generic uniforms.

So here's hoping that they will insist on a coach who can establish a similar systematic approach. If Lindsey gets the gig, Avery Johnson would seemingly be a legit coaching candidate (assuming we can afford him). If Sheppard, I wonder if Ty Corbin, who I think played or coached with Adelman who Eddie Jordan worked for, may be a primary target. Sheppard may even look at Brian Shaw who could bring in the triangle offense.

Quote:

Thanks for the info. Kinda reminds me of what the falcons did (IF they get lindsey). Get someone who was apart of one of the best franchises that might not have had the keys to the operation but was heavily involved.

I dont see why he wouldnt make the move to the hawks. Maybe this could pave the way for Avery coaching here. Who knows, one step at a time.

I agree with the Falcons comparison (although Dimitroff's skills as a GM remain to be seen). I like getting someone from a winning organization. Billy was working with the Grizz and Babcock was bumbling for years. So, the Hawks organization hasn't had anyone from a winner (outside of Woody as a Detroit asst.) in years. Perhaps one of these guys can come in and change the front office culture of this team. I believe it will have a trickle down effect on the team.

Quote:

The names are Tommy Shepherd from the Wizards (player personel) and Dennis Lindsey (Asst GM from Spurs).

If Tommy Shepherd is the reason the Wiz took Arenas in the 2nd round then he knew something no else in the NBA knew....or maybe he just got lucky. They seemed to get rid of Larry Hughes at the right time by not over paying to resign him like Cleveland regrets doing. The Caron Butler and A. Jamison moves have prooved to be genius since they carried the team into the playoffs all year without Arenas. The draft pick of Blatche looks pretty good too.

Wow a Spurs Assit. GM......the Hawks have been like the anti Spurs lately.

If this legit I would be happy with either of those 2. Each has expierence in respectable NBA front offices.

Nothing against Greg Anthony, Steve Smith, Kenny Smith, or Nique, but they just don't have the expierence to be the GM.....However, I would more then happy with any of them as an Assistent GM in training.

Quote:

Quote:

The names are Tommy Shepherd from the Wizards (player personel) and Dennis Lindsey (Asst GM from Spurs).

If Tommy Shepherd is the reason the Wiz took Arenas in the 2nd round then he knew something no else in the NBA knew....or maybe he just got lucky. They seemed to get rid of Larry Hughes at the right time by not over paying to resign him like Cleveland regrets doing. The Caron Butler and A. Jamison moves have prooved to be genius since they carried the team into the playoffs all year without Arenas. The draft pick of Blatche looks pretty good too.

Wow a Spurs Assit. GM......the Hawks have been like the anti Spurs lately.

If this legit I would be happy with either of those 2. Each has expierence in respectable NBA front offices.

Nothing against Greg Anthony, Steve Smith, Kenny Smith, or Nique, but they just don't have the expierence to be the GM.....However, I would more then happy with any of them as an Assistent GM in training.

I'm pretty sure Arenas was drafted by the Warriors...

But I get your point. I would like the Spurs Asst. He gives us a great chance to grab Avery. Avery had his jersey retired by the Spurs.

Quote:

I sure hope that is right. I would be happy with either guy.

I just want someone who has no ties to this organization at all.

Some backround on Lindsey before he was brought on to be the assistant gm last year for the Spurs....

Lindsey has spent the past 11 seasons with the Houston Rockets, the last five as vice president of basketball operations/player personnel. Prior to being named vice president, Lindsey spent three seasons as director of player personnel. During the 1998-99 season, he served as the Rockets director of player development. Lindsey joined the Rockets in 1996 as personnel video coordinator/scout.

Quote:

Some backround on Lindsey before he was brought on to be the assistant gm last year for the Spurs....

Lindsey has spent the past 11 seasons with the Houston Rockets, the last five as vice president of basketball operations/player personnel. Prior to being named vice president, Lindsey spent three seasons as director of player personnel. During the 1998-99 season, he served as the Rockets director of player development. Lindsey joined the Rockets in 1996 as personnel video coordinator/scout.

Only one year in San Antonio ? The same year where age may have finally caught up to them and made absolutely no moves to compensate.

Joined Houston in 1996 ? There championships were in 95 and 94.....so what did the organization do with him there ? Pick Steve Francis and then Yao Ming as a no brainer #1 pick without ever addressing a true legit PG. They hired Van Gundy who flopped in Houston after just one year. Do we want that same guy picking our next coach too ? I could understand if he had the vision to make the mid season Clyde Drexler trade to put them over the top for their 2nd championship, or traded for Kenny Smith (their leader at PG), or drafted Sam Cassell late in the draft but all the good moves were done before he got there.

All I remember about his time there was that they got a washed up Charles Barkley who did not compliment their aging duo of Drexler and Hakeem one bit.

I need to know more about this guy. What makes him so great ? Saying he is from the Spurs organization is good IF he had been there for the last 4 or 5 years but he has been there less then a season and worked for Houston as the franchise simply deteriorated from Champion to a team bad enough to warrant the #1 pick where they lucked out and got Yao Ming.

Can anyone shed some better light on him that is in the "know ?" Looking from the outside this guy is scaring me off !

I guess he can say he helped "rebuild" the Rockets into to a team that can't get out of the 1st round of the playoffs with McGrady..............Winning the lottery and getting the #1 pick (Yao Ming) is not skill. It is a reward for being just plain horrible.

Quote:

That's actually great news. Id much prefer an up-and-comer who still has tons of experience and is known around the league, rather than one of these "established" GMs who already has a history of boneheaded moves (such as way overpaying marginal players with Billy King).

I don't know, the current Rocket team strikes me as a roster that gets a lot out of every player. Guys that know their role, play solid defense, etc... But from watching the Wizards the last 4 years I've been up here, I would be very excited about landing someone from their organization. I've never seen a team get so much out of every player on the roster. They seem to be a very underrated organization.

I'm just glad to see two solid candidates on this list. I was sure ASG was gonna F*** this up.

Matt (Atlanta): The Atlanta media is reporting that Tommy Shepherd from the Wizards and Dennis Lindsey from the Spurs are the leading candidates for the next GM in Atlanta. Are these guys legitimate or would Atlanta be better off with a Billy King or someone with GM experience? Thanks.

Chad Ford: (1:16 PM ET ) I love Dennis Lindsey. I think he'd make a great GM. He's had great experience in Houston under Carroll Dawson and in San Antonio this year. Lindsey would be my choice in Atlanta. He's smart, energetic, a great human being, and he's even a bit of a stat head. I think he'd be the total package in Atlanta and I guy who would've never passed on Chris Paul.

Quote:

I don't know, the current Rocket team strikes me as a roster that gets a lot out of every player. Guys that know their role, play solid defense, etc... But from watching the Wizards the last 4 years I've been up here, I would be very excited about landing someone from their organization. I've never seen a team get so much out of every player on the roster. They seem to be a very underrated organization.

I'm just glad to see two solid candidates on this list. I was sure ASG was gonna F*** this up.

Very true....but the roster is not what gets the most out of each player.......its the coach who gets the most out the roster.

Its the GM's job to get the players but the coaches job to get the most out of the players.

When he was in Houston they hired Van Gundy and he was canned after one season for NOT getting the most out of his players.

Rick Alderman's offenisve system did wonders for this team full of role players. As long as everyone knows their role in the Princeton offense its works really well. After 1/2 a season of coaching it really clicked with them.

I agree we need to get more out of our players and hope we get the right GM who will pick the right coach who can do just that.

Quote:

Matt (Atlanta): The Atlanta media is reporting that Tommy Shepherd from the Wizards and Dennis Lindsey from the Spurs are the leading candidates for the next GM in Atlanta. Are these guys legitimate or would Atlanta be better off with a Billy King or someone with GM experience? Thanks.

Chad Ford: (1:16 PM ET ) I love Dennis Lindsey. I think he'd make a great GM. He's had great experience in Houston under Carroll Dawson and in San Antonio this year. Lindsey would be my choice in Atlanta. He's smart, energetic, a great human being, and he's even a bit of a stat head. I think he'd be the total package in Atlanta and I guy who would've never passed on Chris Paul.

can someone please remove chad's head from his neck? must you take every opportunity to bring up chris paul? i would punch chad if i ever saw him in public.