• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Has this Andersen video been posted?

thefloydian

Quote:

Quote:

Don't underestimate the value of his outside shooting. We need guys who can hit perimeter shots. Plus pulling a big man out of the lane will open up the lane for everyone else.

Actually, we need a guy who can score down on the block with his back to the basket to get us easier points. I'm not discounting Andersen's potential mid and long range shooting. But if he can score down on the block, I'd rather see him down there more, because he'll shoot a higher percentage and have a chance to open up the court for other people.

Horford is most effective shooting the face-up jumper right now. He has decent post moves, but they still need to be refined, especially against bigger players.

Smoove's post up game is coming along, but he's more effective drivng to the hole against 4s & 5s. His back to the basket game is sub-par.

If Andersen can catch the ball down on the low block and score, that opens up the outside for JJ, Bibby, Marvin, even Acie and Horford, because teams may have to double Andersen down low. If they double, he kicks it out to the open man for the jumper. If not, he takes his man one on one and takes the shot or draws the foul.

If Andersen can do this on the NBA level, a pick ( or screen ) and roll ( or pop ) game with between Andersen and JJ could be nice.

Sure a post game would help but the idea of him kicking out to other guys who aren't good shooters doesn't thrill me.

I would be more interested to see what Smith and Horford can do inside with a less crowded lane and improved skills.

damn i just some more DA vids... i know these are highlights but his back-to-the-basket game looks pretty refined with a nice turnaround jumpshot (nearly unblockable at 6-11) and he appears to be much more agile & tough than I originally thought.

He's certainly added the strength and toughness people questioned, and also seems to have a decent post game. Another thing is he is very competitive and has won at a high level... delivering big-time performances when his team needed him. We saw how this attitude helped the team when we drafted Al Horford and I like the idea of adding another guy who's accustomed to winning....

Let's just hope we can get a GM in here and lock him up before he decides his life in Europe is too good. Now is his time in the NBA...

Most of your good teams possess the ability to play inside-out, with at least one guy capable of scoring down on the block. We don't have that ability yet.

Horford and JJ had it working a little in Game 3 I believe. But the best I've seen it work with the Hawks, was @ Golden St., when Salim and JJ ran it and beat the Warriors. JJ was in the post and Salim was the shooter.

If he can score and draw fouls while down on the block, that's more important than his ability to make 17 - 22 foot jumpers. Those jumpers will be an added luxury. I just hope that a jumpshot isn't the only thing that will be effective on the NBA level.

Quote:

Most of your good teams possess the ability to play inside-out, with at least one guy capable of scoring down on the block. We don't have that ability yet.

Horford and JJ had it working a little in Game 3 I believe. But the best I've seen it work with the Hawks, was @ Golden St., when Salim and JJ ran it and beat the Warriors. JJ was in the post and Salim was the shooter.

If he can score and draw fouls while down on the block, that's more important than his ability to make 17 - 22 foot jumpers. Those jumpers will be an added luxury. I just hope that a jumpshot isn't the only thing that will be effective on the NBA level.

This team won't ever be contenders unless Smith and/or Horford become effective inside scorers. Andersen might be ok at it but he isn't as quick and athletic as Smith or Horford.

Smith is already on his way but still has work to do. Obviously he needs to cut out the outside nonsense. But when he gets inside he needs to learn to be more patient. Too often he gets inside and then forces up a quick shot over the defender. He needs to keep his pivot foot and try to get around the defender using his quickness and fakes. He did that handful of times against Boston.

Horford just needs to make a move when he gets the ball rather than waiting 5 seconds before he does something.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you so much for saying this. I thought this was a fairly well-known concept, but apparently it's not.

Quote:

This team won't ever be contenders unless Smith and/or Horford become effective inside scorers. Andersen might be ok at it but he isn't as quick and athletic as Smith or Horford.

Agreed.

So the question in the meantime is what to do on the perimeter. To me, it's a fairly simple decision to take Marvin over Childress, and give Law more time next season.

Quote:

...They are both big men with good perimeter touches but I don't that much resemblence between KG and DA given that Garnett's calling card is hardnosed defense.

Yep AHF but we may be in a peculiar situation where we can afford a center/shooter who isn't really a killer on D. With Horford at PF and Smoove at the three we already have twon solid front line rebounders and Smoove as a world class swatter. JJ is a good weakside rebounder as well. If this guy can get 5 rebounds a game - play decent positional D - and (most importantly) shoot the ball...he could really help in the offense - both by making shots and by opening up the lane for Al and JS....and even for JJ and Bibby to some degree depending on matchups.

Quote:

...Don't underestimate the value of his outside shooting. We need guys who can hit perimeter shots. Plus pulling a big man out of the lane will open up the lane for everyone else.

plus - he may be about our only real hope to improve for next year (player-wise) with our ownership. I doubt if he will be really cheap though. ASG will have to fork up some decent dough.