• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What does this mean?????

SuperSavvyNation

Quote:

By Sekou K. Smith

May 27, 2008 8:53 AM | Link to this

If you’ve made it this far, I’ve got a gem for you:

“(in the absence of the greatest upset in sports history, Grant will be introduced to the public sometime this week).”

The greatest upset in sports history is in the building. Come back to ajc.com as the day unfolds to get the official story.

I’m working on the details right now and will post a story as soon as it’s fit for publication.

In my mind, this means that someone has just entered the picture that could trump Grant as the GM.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

By Sekou K. Smith

May 27, 2008 8:53 AM | Link to this

If you’ve made it this far, I’ve got a gem for you:

“(in the absence of the greatest upset in sports history, Grant will be introduced to the public sometime this week).”

The greatest upset in sports history is in the building. Come back to ajc.com as the day unfolds to get the official story.

I’m working on the details right now and will post a story as soon as it’s fit for publication.

In my mind, this means that someone has just entered the picture that could trump Grant as the GM.

Sounds like that the GM is already in the bldg as a current employee. You can speculate on who that may be.

Reading the post sounds like the ASG may have found someone who is both experienced and someone they all trust to run the franchise.

It also sounds like Sekou believes the new GM is a MUCH better choice than Grant.

Fratello as GM? That would make the most sense to me as Gearon likes to stay with people he knows.

I am wondering if the bad pub the ownership has been getting for the potential hiring of Grant had anything to do with this apparent about face. I just hope whoever they bring in can make this team into a championship contender. To me screw the playoffs, get this team in a position to get a championship.

Quote:

I am wondering if the bad pub the ownership has been getting for the potential hiring of Grant had anything to do with this apparent about face. I just hope whoever they bring in can make this team into a championship contender. To me screw the playoffs, get this team in a position to get a championship.

Agreed. Although, I don't know if this is possible with the current roster as the only teams to win championships in the past 25+ years are teams that have one of the top 5 players in the game or have a hall of fame coach and deep veteran roster.

The Hawks don't have either of those two things so I am not sure how they become a championship team.

I agree with you. They really f'd themselves by not getting Paul over Marvin Williams. They would have been in a position to win a championship with Paul. Alhough I am not sure they can win with Josh Smith having such a low basketball iq. The shots he takes are just mind boggling sometimes.

Quote:

I agree with you. They really f'd themselves by not getting Paul over Marvin Williams. They would have been in a position to win a championship with Paul. Alhough I am not sure they can win with Josh Smith having such a low basketball iq. The shots he takes are just mind boggling sometimes.

If you have a point guard like Paul who can dominate the ball, kick and drive, etc., then Smith only gets the ball when he is close to the basket so that problem goes down significantly.

I think they need to bring in someone who wants to rebuild again. They need someone that has a clue of what they are doing when they get into the top 6 picks of a draft. The way I look at this team I see them being a perennial playoff team from here on out but never winning a championship and that doesn't sit well with me.

I am not sure the Hawks don't have a potentially dominant core group of players.

Horford needs seasoning, but could blossom into a hell of a player.

Johnson is a solid 2/3 and would only be improved with the development of Horford.

The key to this current configuration of the Hawks is to get a coach who can get them to play team defense and get Smith under control on the offense. A better PG would help, but he may be on the roster already in Law.

I do think the Hawks need to make a move for another vet either in the starting line-up or as a sixthman that plays 30 minutes a night and can create his own shot: either in the post or a slasher.

All this together is why I really wanted Brown. I thought that BK and Brown would really work well together and build the roster corretly.

This is the first time I have been excited about the new GM since BK resigned. If I read Sekou's tone right, then I think we'll all be happy with the new GM-- assuming the new GM has power.

• Premium Member

It means that somebody in ownership reads Diesel and said "Damn, he's right. This team needs an experienced GM not somebody who used to wash basketballs for BK and Babcock."