• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who do you want the next coach ? Poll

coachx

Since basically 100% of the board would take an upgrade over Woodson as HC in a heartbeat and 50% think their dog could out coach Woodson.............I want to get the opinion of the other 50% who want a legitimate NBA coach who could be an upgrade. Who do you guys have in mind ? I am struggling to come up with names but came up with 8 names and look foward to seeing who you come up with.

Fizdale (current assistant for Hawks)

Drew (current assistant for Hawk)

Ty Corbin (current assistant for Jazz)

Mike Budenholzer (12 year Spurs assistant)

Mike Fratello

Jeff VanGundy

Tom Thibodeau (current assistant of Celtics and past assistant with he Rockets under Jeff VanGundy

Mark Jackson - I have alwayse really liked this guy

Write in

(I left off Saunders and A. Johnson b/c I think they are unrealistic and may be no better then the people on this short list.

PLEASE VOTE FOR 2 OPTIONS. I HAVE FEELING 99% OF US WILL AGREE ON ONE GUY ON THIS LIST BUT THE TRUE RACE IS WHO IS OPTION #2.

My top 2 would be Fratello and Mark Jackson but I think the ASG will elect to go a cheaper route.

If these 2 our too expensive for the ASG then I hope: Fizdale, Corbin, Budenholzer, and Thibodeau get interviews. They seem to be qualified assistants but will have some risk since none have been a head coach.

Can't think that Saunders and Johnson are unrealistic-there's a limited number of open HCing positions, and both of those guys are unemployed at the moment. AJohnson may be too expensive a candidate, but we don't really know what the ASG is willing to spend right now. How are either of these guys less realistic than Fratello?

And Avery has won CotY, leading me to believe he's a more solid coach than several of the guys listed.

Quote:

Can't think that Saunders and Johnson are unrealistic-there's a limited number of open HCing positions, and both of those guys are unemployed at the moment. AJohnson may be too expensive a candidate, but we don't really know what the ASG is willing to spend right now. How are either of these guys less realistic than Fratello?

And Avery has won CotY, leading me to believe he's a more solid coach than several of the guys listed.

Simply b/c they can make $4 mill next year to sit on their butts and then have an ample # of coaching spots available next year. Based on the ASG's past history, and the recent hiring of GM used to dealing with strict financial restrictions in Seattle, it is my opinion the ASG are not looking to go from a 4 year $2.4 million contract to a 4 year $16 million contract for their head coach.

Its just my own personal opinion and your welcome to yours.

To answer the question as to why Fratello is more realistic then Avery or Flip:

I think Fratello would come for $2 million (since he has a warm place in his heart for the Hawks and the ASG may feel the same way towards him.) Phil and Avery would take no less then $4 million unless they just don't care about $$$$ (not realistic to me, every one cares about money when you get down to it. )I think Atlanta is one of only 2 or 3 jobs Fratello would even consider at this point in his life.

Our opinions on Avery differ some what (though we agree in that we both think he would be an upgrade over Woody.) If you want to hold coaches accoutable as you do with Woody then Avery has underachieved the last 2 seasons with quick first round exits with 2 different rosters. So does Avery get a free pass and Woody does not ? So you can blame it on the players as it is partly their fault but he got the same resluts with 06-07 roster that included Harris, Diop, etc. as he got with J. Kidd and Eddie Jones who were added to the 07-08 playoff roster. Again just my opinion.

You are welcome to dismiss my post and not take part in the voting but I tried to answer your questions as to where my perspective comes from.

Here we go again with this Avery-Woody comparison... Does anyone believe that Avery's team would have been a bit more competitive had he still had Harris and Diop this past year?

And please stop with this comparing Woody to coaches that have won COY! That's pathetic...

This is ridiculous, you can't just arbitrarily decide that coaches are not available. We had no problem trading young talent for an old PG who will make 15 million next year, we will pay Speedy 6 million to sit on our bench, hell we will pay our young PG 2 million to barely get minutes, and now it's not realistic to drop 3-4 million to get a head coach? That's ridiculous. It's you making a convenient assumption to help your argument.

If the ASG is committed to winning, they have to be willing to pay for a HC just like they've paid for players. When you start your argument by saying "the ASG won't pay for good coaches", then obviously we won't get a good coach. There are MANY good coaches available.

My top coaches that are currently available, somewhat in order would be J Van Gundy, Silas, Avery, Saunders, Mussleman, Fratello. That's 6 off the top of my head and there are many other ones that I would take.

Quote:

Here we go again with this Avery-Woody comparison... Does anyone believe that Avery's team would have been a bit more competitive had he still had Harris and Diop this past year?

And please stop with this comparing Woody to coaches that have won COY! That's pathetic...

Yes the team would have been more competitve in that specific match up b/c Harris would defend Paul much better then Kidd. However, it was AJ that pushed for the Kidd trade. So when the trade does not work out he gets a free pass ? That is why his was fired !

Pathetic ?

If you fire Woody after forcing a Game 7 vs. a superior team only to replace him with a coach who had 2 first round exits. One of which he was the #1 seed and lost to the #7 seed. BTW both teams that beat Dallas lost in the 2nd round without advancing any further so I doubt either team they lost too was superior to them as the Celtics were to us. The team that beat Atlanta in a Game 7 could be the NBA Champs and ARE the Eastern Conference Champs.

Call me pathetic all you like but try to articulate some substance to go along with it. Insults are normally just a recourse to lack of knowledge to continue a debate.

Man, you try to post tempered logic on here and every one wants to continue emotional flame wars.

I'm about to go on a vacation...........see you guys next week. Maybe the coaching future will be less cloudy by then.

Quote:

This is ridiculous, you can't just arbitrarily decide that coaches are not available. We had no problem trading young talent for an old PG who will make 15 million next year, we will pay Speedy 6 million to sit on our bench, hell we will pay our young PG 2 million to barely get minutes, and now it's not realistic to drop 3-4 million to get a head coach? That's ridiculous. It's you making a convenient assumption to help your argument.

If the ASG is committed to winning, they have to be willing to pay for a HC just like they've paid for players. When you start your argument by saying "the ASG won't pay for good coaches", then obviously we won't get a good coach. There are MANY good coaches available.

My top coaches that are currently available, somewhat in order would be J Van Gundy, Silas, Avery, Saunders, Mussleman, Fratello. That's 6 off the top of my head and there are many other ones that I would take.

Good list. I forgot about Mussleman. After that DUI he kind of fell off the map.

I really like Saunders and would love to for him to be the coach. If Saunder coached the Celtics they would be right where they are now after beating the Pistons (my opinion). I hope I am wrong and the ASG decides to up on their coach's contract from 4 years $2.4 million to 4 years $16 million. I would love to be wrong here.

I know if Johnson and Saunders were included to this particular voting poll that they would win in a land slide. What I didn't know is if people still supported Fratello as his name has not come up lately and besides Saunders, Johnson, and Fratello what other candidate may there be a "consensus" on from this board. I also wanted to see what other names people like for consideration. Thanks for naming some good ones BTW.

[if you fire Woody after forcing a Game 7 vs. a superior team only to replace him with a coach who had 2 first round exits. One of which he was the #1 seed and lost to the #7 seed. BTW both teams that beat Dallas lost in the 2nd round without advancing any further so I doubt either team they lost too was superior to them as the Celtics were to us. The team that beat Atlanta in a Game 7 could be the NBA Champs and ARE the Eastern Conference Champs.

First off, if you don't think that the Hornets were superior to the Mavs, you're blind... And, yes the Celtics are the Eastern Conference Champs, IN A WEAK EASTERN CONFERENCE (so everyone says). My question to that would be what if the Lakers sweep the Celtics?

Call me pathetic all you like but try to articulate some substance to go along with it. Insults are normally just a recourse to lack of knowledge to continue a debate.

I didn't call YOU pathetic... I called the Avery-Woody comparison PATHETIC!

I'm about to go on a vacation...........see you guys next week. Maybe the coaching future will be less cloudy by then.

1. Jon Barry

2. Mark Jackson

No current assistants, please (we've tried that twice in a row now). No unsuccessful retreads, please. No college coaches either.

Our best shot is to hope to duplicate someone like Byron Scott, who came in with lots of smarts and not much experience. The two listed above are worth a shot, IMO. Barry is dam smart.

• Premium Member

I just don't see the point in replacing Woodson with another assistant (or former player) who is going to come in with another curve to climb. If that were the case, I'd just stick with Woodson rather than deal with another HC learning on the job.

I voted for Fratello and VanGundy, because at this point, I think we need guys who have proven that they know what they are doing. I want a guy who has had success but who has also made mistakes.

The only guy with no job history that I would consider is Mark Jackson. The guy was just a rock solid PG and he seems to be a no-nonsense type. He spent years running teams on the court and he's been an analyst for a minute now. I'm sure he has the X's and O's and I'm sure, just by listening to him, that he has the ability to motivate guys. So I have confidence that he could run the show from the sideline.

I wouldn't be upset with going in that direction, but my 1st choice is the Czar. Behind him, I wouldn't mind Avery Johnson, VanGundy, or Del Harris.

Quote:

[if you fire Woody after forcing a Game 7 vs. a superior team only to replace him with a coach who had 2 first round exits. One of which he was the #1 seed and lost to the #7 seed. BTW both teams that beat Dallas lost in the 2nd round without advancing any further so I
doubt either team they lost too was superior to them as the Celtics were to us.
The team that beat Atlanta in a Game 7
could
be the NBA Champs and ARE the Eastern Conference Champs.

First off, if you don't think that the Hornets were superior to the Mavs, you're blind... And, yes the Celtics are the Eastern Conference Champs, IN A WEAK EASTERN CONFERENCE (so everyone says). My question to that would be what if the Lakers sweep the Celtics?

Call me pathetic all you like but try to articulate some substance to go along with it.

I didn't call YOU pathetic... I called the Avery-Woody comparison PATHETIC!

Have a great one... Try not to get any sand in your mangina... jk saythat.gif

"Insults are normally just a recourse to lack of knowledge to continue a debate." Looks like you proved that statement to be true.

While your whining in this board with 3rd grade logic me and my mangina will be living it up in Jamaica ! Cheers !

Quote:

I want a guy who has had success but who has also made mistakes.

The only guy with no job history that I would consider is Mark Jackson. The guy was just a rock solid PG and he seems to be a no-nonsense type. He spent years running teams on the court and he's been an analyst for a minute now.

Barry is just as qualified as Jackson - same job history. The only difference is that no one has tossed his name around publicly. He is a very talented analyst - have you ever heard him? He's good. Can't hurt that his father knows more about the game than all but a handful of humans.