• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Isn't it funny?

TheTrueSiete

The real point is that Smith shouldn't be utilized as an outside threat. Set him up within 15' of the basket so he can drive in for layups/dunks. Having Smith sit outside is just a mis-use of his skills.

In terms of him developing a jump shot- I would rather see him develop better handles and a go to spin move to get him free on the blocks. He should also develop the drop-step as he would be unstoppable 1 on 1 in the post with that move, his hops are just too great for any PF or SF to be able to guard him on that move.

More thoughts on Woodson:

Now that Woodson is on board, I hope that he takes a VERY VERY LONG look at what worked and didn't work last season. I hope that he approaches it with a neutral eye, instead of the bunker mentality he went into. What I hope he sees is that he has guys that can make plays if he allows them to be playmakers. Smith could be an effective #2 scorer. Horford definately should be utilzed more on offense, esp in the first half. Marvin needs to be fed the ball as well. There is a lot of scoring talent on the team, it just needs to be given the freedom and trust to make those plays.

Maybe now that Woodson has 2 more years, he can also manage minutes better. He has to reduce JJ's minutes to under 39 a game, it just has to happen for JJ to have anything left in the tank in March and April. That is, now that the ASG has shown trust in Woodson, he needs to extend that trust to other players, and not just Bibby and JJ.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Assuming that the average number of jump shots taken per game were similar, seems reasonable to look at a comparison b/t Smith's season FG% and playoffs FG%, doesn't it?

Regular Season Jump Shots: eFG% - 30.7%

Post-season Jump Shots: eFG% - 32.4%

It was generally not a good idea for Josh to shoot jumpers in the regular season or post-season.

it is inevitable that Smith will make some jump shots in the clutch simply because the defense leaves him wide open and he isn't shy.

And exodus gets a gold star for this.

Honestly, if a guy is taking 6.6 jumpshots per game, some of them are bound to be in the clutch. But hitting those on occasion are no justification for taking so many when you shoot UNDER 30% per game.

Hey, if Darko Milicic is a better shooter than you, perhaps you shouldn't be too quick with the trigger.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Assuming that the average number of jump shots taken per game were similar, seems reasonable to look at a comparison b/t Smith's season FG% and playoffs FG%, doesn't it?

Regular Season Jump Shots: eFG% - 30.7%

Post-season Jump Shots: eFG% - 32.4%

It was generally not a good idea for Josh to shoot jumpers in the regular season or post-season.

Would like to bookmark that source if you can pass it along, AHF.

But I guess I should have prefaced that I was keying on the idea that Smith was "LUCKY" to have made the shots that he did... looks like he was not much more "lucky" than he ever is otherwise.

Also, it would be useful to put that stat in some context... how does this compare with all jump shots?... and, with all jump shooting by PFs...? Is that readily available somewhere?

It is 82games. For a comparison with a jumpshooting PF, Rasheed Wallace's effective FG% on jump shots is 46.8% and David West's eFG% on jump shots is 43.4%. Guys like Kenyon Martin and Marcus Camby are significantly better on jump shots as well (by 5-7%). Horford's eFG% on jump shots is 38.9%. This counts the fact that 3pt shots count for 1.5 times as much. If a shooter hit 1/3 of his 3pt shots he would have a 50% eFG% on those shots.

Quote:

Now that Woodson is on board, I hope that he takes a VERY VERY LONG look at what worked and didn't work last season. I hope that he approaches it with a neutral eye, instead of the bunker mentality he went into. What I hope he sees is that he has guys that can make plays if he allows them to be playmakers.
Smith could be an effective #2 scorer
. Horford definately should be utilzed more on offense, esp in the first half. Marvin needs to be fed the ball as well. There is a lot of scoring talent on t he team, it just needs to be given the freedom and trust to make those plays.

In order for Smith to be an effective #2 option, he will have to improve his ballhandling skills. A lot of his turnovers came from him trying to bull his way to the basket (due to his lack of handles) or throwing bad passes (due to him watching his dribble). He's also got to improve on his jumpshot, because I've never seen anyone in the league miss as many wide open jumpshots as he misses. He's come a very long way, though, so I don't think it is impossible for him to make big strides in those areas.

Quote:

But I guess I should have prefaced that I was keying on the idea that Smith was "LUCKY" to have made the shots that he did... looks like he was not much more "lucky" than he ever is otherwise.

Well, that wasn't exactly my point, even though my words may have made it seem that way. I was responding to the post that Woody took us 7 games with the likely NBA champion. My point was that Smith was making a very high percentage of his jumpers in games 3 and 4. We were definitely lucky that he was as hot as he was. For the rest of the series, he was an abysmal jumpshooter and never should have taken that many jumpers in the first place.

Quote:

In order for Smith to be an effective #2 option, he will have to improve his ballhandling skills. A lot of his turnovers came from him trying to bull his way to the basket (due to his lack of handles) or throwing bad passes (due to him watching his dribble).

I think improving his jumper will really help this aspect of his game. It's very tough to drive when defenses back off of you the way they do with Smith. When Smith is 18-20 feet away from the basket and the defender plays tight on him, he almost ALWAYS beats them off the dribble. But the defense rarely plays like that on him because he can't shoot. If he develops that jumper, the D will have to respect that and it will open up much more effective drives for him. If he can get that midrange jumper to around 40%, he could model his game after Amare and also be a very good scorer. Probably not quite as good as Amare of course, but his game would be very similar.

Quote:

Guys like Kenyon Martin and Marcus Camby are significantly better on jump shots as well (by 5-7%). Horford's eFG% on jump shots is 38.9%.

Seriously, the fact that Smith shot 46% this season despite those terrible jumper %'s shows just how effective he really can possibly be, and how much offensive potential he really has IMO.

Quote:

Quote:

Now that Woodson is on board, I hope that he takes a VERY VERY LONG look at what worked and didn't work last season. I hope that he approaches it with a neutral eye, instead of the bunker mentality he went into. What I hope he sees is that he has guys that can make plays if he allows them to be playmakers.
. Horford definately should be utilzed more on offense, esp in the first half. Marvin needs to be fed the ball as well. There is a lot of scoring talent on t he team, it just needs to be given the freedom and trust to make those plays.

In order for Smith to be an effective #2 option, he will have to improve his ballhandling skills. A lot of his turnovers came from him trying to bull his way to the basket (due to his lack of handles) or throwing bad passes (due to him watching his dribble). He's also got to improve on his jumpshot, because I've never seen anyone in the league miss as many wide open jumpshots as he misses. He's come a very long way, though, so I don't think it is impossible for him to make big strides in those areas.

That is what I said above the part about Woodson...RIF

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, you did. I just wanted to emphasize that, because his jumpshot and handles are pretty bad.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, you did. I just wanted to emphasize that, because his jumpshot and handles are pretty bad.

Jeezus. Got in from out of town last night and had one of the worst days I've had in a while. I mean NOTHING went right today. My wife gets home from work and reminds me it's Fri the 13th, so I didn't equate my day with that fact. It was simply a dismal day. Now I read this thread and find out just how bad a day it is. Sheesh.

Oh well, go Hawks (and Woody).