• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Guys ATL should consider trading for...

Diesel

Quote:

Quote:

you gotta have balls to toll with the punches and taking on the D right out of the gate is OK with me. Welcome.

Aw, don't give him too much credit now. It ain't that hard when you're right.

Oden doesn't have good hands ... damn, must've messed that homework up.

Soft touch with his off hand (and his dominant hand, you just didn't see it because you he had ligament damage) and his hands are incredibly strong - he only got the ball ripped three times in his frosh season even though he had a brace.

Anyway, I know enough about the kid because an old friend of mine is a sports journalist in Indy and covered some of Oden's games in HS. He said that Conley was really impressive in HS too.

Back to that list, I'd love to get a shooter/defender of the Stevenson/Anthony Parker mold and throw him on the wing opposite JJ. Marv may be an above average player one day but he's gonna cost a lot of money and he won't be special, I'd be fine moving him for someone that fit.

• Premium Member

Quote:

There is a reason Roberts didn't go in the lottery and Oden was the number 1. He is a better prospect with a better body and more skill.

You don't think he has good timing? He blocked over 3 shots a game. You don't think he had good touch? He took hook shots exclusively with his off hand. You are obviously a Horford fan, Oden was better at every facet of the game than Horford while being significantly younger.

His knees could be a concern down the road if they keep him from playing but if he's on the court he's gonna ball.

First off, Roberts coming out of LSU didn't go high was for several reasons:

1. He dropped out of LSU after 1 year and went to play in Europe.

2. By the time he came back to the NBA draft (1 year later) he was overweight, out of shape, and had a diet pill addiction.

Anybody who remembers LSU ball when they had Shaq and Roberts knows that Roberts was a beast. He could have gone top ten in the 1990 draft but he missed the deadline. Stories out of LSU said that Roberts would own Shaq in practices. I think they met while Shaq was a Magic and Roberts was a Clipper (out of shape on bad knees)... I think Roberts owned him then too.

Now, Oden is not going to end up like Roberts because I hope he has more character. However, Oden does have the bad knee. Not a good way to start off his career.

Lastly, Blocking 3 shots a game doesn't speak about timing. Hell, Shelden blocked three shots a game in college. Blocking 3 shots a game means that he was big.

In fact, look at this:

Bradley = 5.2 bpg BYU

Drob = 4.1 bpg Navy

Mourning = 3.8 bpg Georgetown

Mutombo = 3.7 bpg Georgetown

Shelden = 3.7 bpg Duke

Oden = 3.3 bpg OSU

In short, I don't think 3.3 speaks to his timing. Especially not with Shelden on the list. Like we see in Shawn Bradley.. i think we see that when you're bigger than everybody else, you get more block opportunities.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

...Boy would Charlotte love to have Marvin back in NC...

No offense D - but please explain the reason? Why would Charlotte love to have Marvin back in N.C. (as a player I mean)? How exactly would Marvin's skillset make them better?

They already have Gerald Wallace, Morrison, J.Rich and others as shooters. Why would they want Marvin other than having a west coast guy who went to N.C. for a year? Marvin MAYBE could fill in at PF?.......I just don't see why they would be interested in him.

That's just it.

I'm not speaking about just as a player.

Charlotte has Attendance problems. They need something that will grab "their base" and bring them out.

Most Charlottians are either UNC or Duke fans (I would guess UNC). I think Charlotte should do whatever they can to get remnants from that last UNC championship team back. Just like making Larry Brown coach. Sure he's good, but really, he's a Carolina guy. The same is true of Marvin. Marvin is not bad... if they felt that he could develop in Carolina, they would do well to take him.

Now who do they have at Sf.

Gerald"don't put me at PF"Wallace? They'd love to get out of his contract. They'd love to get out of Carroll's contract. They'd love to move Morrison. I just believe that it's a good match them wanting Marvin.

Quote:

Quote:

There is a reason Roberts didn't go in the lottery and Oden was the number 1. He is a better prospect with a better body and more skill.

You don't think he has good timing? He blocked over 3 shots a game. You don't think he had good touch? He took hook shots exclusively with his off hand. You are obviously a Horford fan, Oden was better at every facet of the game than Horford while being significantly younger.

His knees could be a concern down the road if they keep him from playing but if he's on the court he's gonna ball.

2. By the time he came back to the NBA draft (1 year later) he was overweight, out of shape, and had a diet pill addiction.

Anybody who remembers LSU ball when they had Shaq and Roberts knows that Roberts was a beast. He could have gone top ten in the 1990 draft but he missed the deadline. Stories out of LSU said that Roberts would own Shaq in practices. I think they met while Shaq was a Magic and Roberts was a Clipper (out of shape on bad knees)... I think Roberts owned him then too.

Now, Oden is not going to end up like Roberts because I hope he has more character. However, Oden does have the bad knee. Not a good way to start off his career.

Lastly, Blocking 3 shots a game doesn't speak about timing. Hell, Shelden blocked three shots a game in college. Blocking 3 shots a game means that he was big.

In fact, look at this:

Bradley = 5.2 bpg BYU

Drob = 4.1 bpg Navy

Shelden = 3.7 bpg Duke

Oden = 3.3 bpg OSU

In short, I don't think 3.3 speaks to his timing. Especially not with Shelden on the list. Like we see in Shawn Bradley.. i think we see that when you're bigger than everybody else, you get more block opportunities.

Shelden did have good timing, he's just not particularly explosive and his arms don't reach high enough to block shots in the NBA.

Oden is like all those guys in that he is both tall and athletic enough to get to a shot and has good enough timing to make the block... all those guys except Shelden are some of the greatest shotblockers in the history of the NBA (including Bradley) and Oden was comparable to all of them as a freshman with a torn ligament in his hand, what does that prove?

As far as Roberts, I'm not sure I get your point... Since they are both big, Oden is going to turn into Roberts? Then you said that Roberts actually was talented but he put on too much weight, but Oden wouldn't do that... How does any of that relate to anything?

If you don't think Oden is an elite prospect thats fine but give a basketball reason other than "Stanley Roberts was big and he wasn't good but he could have been good but he took too many pills but Oden won't do that so Oden won't be that good", because it doesn't make sense.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In fact, look at this:

Bradley = 5.2 bpg BYU

Drob = 4.1 bpg Navy

Shelden = 3.7 bpg Duke

Oden = 3.3 bpg OSU

Shelden did have good timing, he's just not particularly explosive and his arms don't reach high enough to block shots in the NBA.

Oden is like all those guys in that he is both tall and athletic enough to get to a shot and has good enough timing to make the block... all those guys except Shelden are some of the greatest shotblockers in the history of the NBA (including Bradley) and Oden was comparable to all of them as a freshman with a torn ligament in his hand, what does that prove?

As far as Roberts, I'm not sure I get your point... Since they are both big, Oden is going to turn into Roberts? Then you said that Roberts actually was talented but he put on too much weight, but Oden wouldn't do that... How does any of that relate to anything?

If you don't think Oden is an elite prospect thats fine but give a basketball reason other than "Stanley Roberts was big and he wasn't good but he could have been good but he took too many pills but Oden won't do that so Oden won't be that good", because it doesn't make sense.

I think what is more likely, is that you will see a drop off in Oden's blocks per game.. the same way that you saw in Shelden's. Shelden may not be taller than more Centers... but what about Sf, SG, PGs. Blocking shots in the NBA has been reduced to quick leapers (like Smoove, Marion) and guys with exceptional hand eye coordination (like Camby). Oden is neither. Even a guy like Tim Duncan (who athletically is similar to Oden) average 2.4 bpg (1.9 bpg recently) after having averaged 3.76 bpg in College. With the speed of todays players, i don't see this great timing that you're talking about with Oden. Beware, he just might be foul prone.

Diesle you kinda lost me after the first proposal. I mean are teams really still high on Marvin?? I mean I'd do the trade but why would PTL? Webster looks like a great up and coming shooter who shot nearly 40% from 3 and is only 21. I mean they would be trading essentially Jack,Webster and the #13 pick for Marvin which I don't see happening. All the other trades sucked even the Solo for Novak. I'd rather have Solo's athletiscm coming off the bench then Novaks spot shooting. I mean heel we can go back and sign Honno Mottola or whatever that guys name was from Finland or wherever that we drafted from Utah back in the day. I remember him being a pretty decent spot shooter. Don't like him? How bout Cal Bowdler? hahaha

Quote:

I think what is more likely, is that you will see a drop off in Oden's blocks per game.. the same way that you saw in Shelden's. Shelden may not be taller than more Centers... but what about Sf, SG, PGs. Blocking shots in the NBA has been reduced to quick leapers (like Smoove, Marion) and guys with exceptional hand eye coordination (like Camby). Oden is neither. Even a guy like Tim Duncan (who athletically is similar to Oden) average 2.4 bpg (1.9 bpg recently) after having averaged 3.76 bpg in College. With the speed of todays players, i don't see this great timing that you're talking about with Oden. Beware, he just might be foul prone.

Gotta disagree. For one Oden is a lot more athletic than Duncan (although not nearly as skilled), the whole appeal of Oden is that he has such an amazing physical package in terms of explosiveness, strength, and agility. What about guys like Brand and Kaman? Both are excellent shotblockers but neither is a better athlete than Oden and neither has the same reach as Oden.

Look, I understand your point that not everyone lives up to the hype and not every young number 1 overall pick pans out but at the end of the day it is you against the scouting world (who, admittedly have been wrong many times before) saying that Oden isn't athletic, doesn't have good timing, and doesn't have good touch. The only thing that isn't subjective is the athleticism part, he is extremely athletic for a guy that size and strength.

Anyway, we can agree to disagree on how good fo a prospect he is/was. If the Blazers were retarded enough to agree to your proposal, you'd have my vote.

Quote:

Haha, I think you may have missed my attempt at humor here CD.

It's pretty obvious that Oden has exceptional hands for a big man. I only reinforce that here because you were spot on. I am in full agreement.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

It's pretty obvious that Oden has exceptional hands for a big man. I only reinforce that here because you were spot on. I am in full agreement.

What's this a scare crow?? Nobody said that Oden didn't have good hands?

Quote:

What's this a scare crow?? Nobody said that Oden didn't have good hands?

My bad Diesel.

You actually said this:

Quote:

I don't remember great touch.

I misconstrued it.

Let's give the scarecrow a brain and change it to this:

Quote:

Oden doesn't have good touch ... damn, must've messed that homework up.

Phew!

Quote:

Quote:

Haha, my bad. Thanks for the backup.

Quote:

LOL! Greg Oden has good touch...LMAO.

Did anyone watch him at OSU? He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if it wasn't a thunderous dunk. I only watched a few games but his FT was worse than Shaq.

lol.

Worse than Shaq? a) That is factually incorrect and if you don't have the presence of mind to look at the numbers your opinion doesn't matter and b) he is a right handed player who was shooting FTs with his left hand because of a torn ligament... but he was still more accurate than Shaq.

D, he has good touch around the rim which is where he will be taking most/all of his shots. He is a true center and doesn't need an outside game.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

LOL! Greg Oden has good touch...LMAO.

Did anyone watch him at OSU? He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if it wasn't a thunderous dunk. I only watched a few games but his FT was worse than Shaq.

lol.

Worse than Shaq? a) That is factually incorrect and if you don't have the presence of mind to look at the numbers your opinion doesn't matter and b) he is a right handed player who was shooting FTs with his left hand because of a torn ligament... but he was still more accurate than Shaq.

D, he has good touch around the rim which is where he will be taking most/all of his shots. He is a true center and doesn't need an outside game.

In other words, he can dunk.

Don't be surprised when he is moved out of his spot and forced to shoot.