• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New David Andersen Article

Rick

This article was in the Sydney Sunday paper. I was unable to find it online anywhere, so I typed it out, sorry for any typos as I rushed it. - Cheers Rick

Boomer names his own price for NBA

Australian Boomers forward David Andersen ha splaced a remarkable $5 million price tag on himself to join the NBA next season.

Andersen is in negotiations with the Atlanta Hawks and hopes to seal a deal in the next fortnight, before joining the Boomers for their Beijing Olympics preparations. But the multiple European championship winner says he'll only go to the NBA if the price is right.

The 212cm forward is in huge demand in Europe after playing a key role for CSKA Moscow in winning this year's Euroleague, basketballs equivalent of soccers Champions League.

Although selected No.37 by Atlanta in the 2002 NBA draft, Andersen has made his name and his millions playing in the salary-cap free world of European basketball.

"Atlanta have got to come to the ball game a bit. I don't want to be taking a massive pay cut just to go to the NBA" Andersen said. "If they can come to the ball game a bit, obviously I'll be going there.

Andersen said Australia's only NBA player, Andrew Bogut, was always trying to coax him to the US. Andersen, who turns 28 tomorrow, also wants to test himself in the NBA. But his salary demand is also insurance that he gets to play a strong role with the Hawks.

"If you go over as an important role (player) with a good salary then obviously they need to play you. That's my challenge, to get to the NBA and be amongst it" he said. "I want to get there. I'm hoping that's my next step because I've conquered a lot in Europe, so I'm hoping things will work through with Atlanta. I think to myself I could give it a fair crack."

Andersen is confident the Boomers can gel in the next month and push for an Olympic medal. He said he was ready to play a leadership role in his second Olympic campaign.

"Losing a couple of guys (to injury) like Sam (MacKinnon) and Jason (Smith) is a real blow because they're obvioulsy great leaders. That's why me and a couple of the other guys have got to step up".

Well I guess this means that info I got out of that Isreali paper was 100% BULLLSHYYYT. Thanks for this post Rick, especially since you had to type it all. I guess if we dont hear anything in the next few days we can assume the Hawks arent budging.

Thanks Rick.

Just remember, Hawks fans, good talent doesn't come at a give away price.

Big men in the NBA demand a high price and, if he's any good, he's worth it.

• Premium Member

Perhaps the Warriors would give up the #14 for him? He fits their system...

I'm sure the Rockets would love to have him for the 25th...

If the Hawks don't sign him this season, he's going to get a multi-year deal from a European/Asian team for close to what he's asking for. Since it's "now or never," I'd like to see the Hawks get something for him...

$5 million!? Wow, I doubt the ASG ponies up that sorta cash for him. He has proven a fair amount in Europe, so it is not surprising what he is asking for. Nevertheless, it is a negotiation, and I doubt he will get 5 mil if he comes to the NBA for us. He is 28 and hasnt played in the NBA, so that price is quite high. However, if we do pay him the money, I sure as hell hope that Zaza is on the next thing smoking out of here. I would love to have Andersen over Zaza. Even though both are more finesse type big men, it appears as tho Andersen may have more of an offensive swagger to his game (and can hit outside/long range shots). It would be a good complement to Horford. Zaza is just a waste of space.

• Premium Member

If you can get Andersen, I think you have to look at sending Zaza out for a trade exception + 2nd rounder.

Teams with big enough trade exceptions:

Chicago

Golden State

Phoenix

The problem with Golden State is that the exception expires prior to July 1st, and I think the right thing to do is try to get Andersen signed first.

Chicago and Phoenix (expires 7/20) could both use some depth at center, but Phoenix can't afford to take on $4M in salary (lux. tax). So that leaves two possible deals with Chicago:

1. Zaza to Chicago -for- Aaron Gray

-or-

2. Zaza to Chicago -for- future (top 20 protected) 1st

Thanks for the post Rick! I do hope Andersen goes to the NBA, hopefully the Hawks or at the very least the Hawks get something for Andersen.

Numbers are a separate issue with this, but if it works out then that is good.

Guest Walter

Quote:

If you can get Andersen, I think you have to look at sending Zaza out for a trade exception + 2nd rounder.

Teams with big enough trade exceptions:

Chicago

Golden State

Phoenix

The problem with Golden State is that the exception expires prior to July 1st, and I think the right thing to do is try to get Andersen signed first.

Chicago and Phoenix (expires 7/20) could both use some depth at center, but Phoenix can't afford to take on $4M in salary (lux. tax). So that leaves two possible deals with Chicago:

1. Zaza to Chicago -for- Aaron Gray

-or-

2. Zaza to Chicago -for- future (top 20 protected) 1st

I think I like 2 better and I also think this is a reasonable for Chicago. Andersen fits this team better than ZaZa I think and I believe he is better. Moreover, we can lock him up for several years at a reasonable salary rather than be faced with resigning ZaZa next year.

My preference is to package ZaZa and/or Bibby with MW or a resigned Childress.

Example? Assuming we sign Andersen...

ZaZa (1), Bibby (1), MW for resigned Calderon, Rasho (1), Anthony Parker (1), Jamario Moon

W