Terry has signed offer sheet with Utah

jeddelong

Just a thought about how this is disrespectful: I feel like it was smart for the Hawks to let someone else set the market for him. They run the risk of overpaying any other way. I knew this would happen because they haven't even made an attempt to sign him, but they have said over and over that they would match. Plus, with the lack of intrest, I think they thought they might get a bargain. They have known from the beginning that they are going to sign him so now they match, I assume this was expected.

I agree in that it's probably best to let a team like Utah, a team much in the same position as us (rebuilding, though we arguably have more pieces), to set the price for Terry.

Doing the homework, it appears that the Clips are again departing from past ways and matching the Jazz's offer for Maggette on Wednesday (see espn). That is probably much of the cause in JT's delayed signing - they have to wait for the Clips to match (contingent on it more than likely).

What does this mean? It could very well mean that Utah plans to offer Terry a similar deal to that of Maggette, a deal in the range of 6 years, 42 million dollars. Maggette's, a two guard who left after his freshman season (as a sixth man) at Duke, averaged 16.8, 1.9 ast, 5.0 rbs, 44.4/35.0/80.2 in 31.3 mpg, 57 games started, and 64 games played this past season.

JT might command slightly more with his ability to play two positions...but that "bonus" also serves as his biggest weakness, as his height guarding opposing 2's is problematic...combined with his arguable ability to truly run an offense.

Nevertheless, JT's offer is likely right in the area of Maggette's, up to, but probably not exceeding, six years, 48-52 million dollars (probably the prior).

• Premium Member

Say what you want, it's interesting. I think that the Hawks will match. I think Terry will low ball himself and the Hawks will match and that will be that. BUT, you have to wonder...... Utah has 21 million to spend, no PG for sure, just lost out on Maggette, and maybe looking to dump a Sf....

I'm thinking ahead here.... After we match...

Probably a high 7 million dollar deal...

Do you think that we can do a trade that lands us Harpring??

This is what I had in mind:

Dickau/CC to Utah for Harpring.

or Dickau/Nazr to Utah for Harpring/Collins...

I figure Dickau would be the second coming of Stockton in Utah....

Then they could put their money away and maybe save it for Kobe....

• Premium Member

[censored], that's more than 9 Million per.

OK OK.... I give up JT in a SNT before matching...

JT/Nazr to Utah for Collins/Harpring.

They can still sign JT for close to 9 million, but dang....

We can sell utah on this would be their chance to get Odom too.

JT/Odom/Kirlenko would be an interesting backcourt.

The Hawks almost HAVE to match such a deal if it is offered. You can't draft someone in the first round for the sole purpose of complimenting a guy, trade your leading scorer to make sure you have room to resign that guy and then not resign the guy. We are talking about the Hawks though so I guess nothing would surprise me.

• Premium Member

Heck NO Trace.....

JT is not worth that much. Jason Kidd just came off that kind of Contract... the Difference is that Jason Kidd had taken every team (with the exception of the Mavs) to the Playoffs and NJ to the Championship Twice. JT cannot even bring the ball up the floor and make the good pass against Pressure.

This is what it works out to.

I hardly believe that Terry is worth 7.4 million per year. This is a 9.17 million per deal. I don't think he's worthy.

As far as Diaw go:

1. He wasn't a high pick.

2. He can compliment Dickau just the same.

3. He will have to be something more than JT's compliment. He will have to be Pippen. A player who can stand by himself.

I'm starting to warm up to having:

Dickau/Diaw/Harpring/SAR/Theo.

Or maybe signing some free agent PG like Kenny Anderson...

I was in Boston, I saw Dickau. I know it was just summer league, but I was not impressed and he broke down physically again. The Hawks CAN NOT let Terry go after letting Robinson go. It would be a media relations disaster, they will sign probably early in the 15 day period.

If Bibby is worth $80 million, JT is [censored] sure worth $55 million. If Kenny Thomas is worth $50 million, JT is worth AT LEAST $55 million. He should have had a standing 7 yr/$60 million offer on the table from the Hawks by now anyway. He likely would have taken it. That deal would have started at roughly $6 million. By failing to make him an offer at all, this is what the Hawks have to do to deal with.

• Premium Member

What's going to happen???

You mean that the fans will stop coming out????

Or maybe the Sponsers won't sponser?

At this point, I don't think anybody wants to see us pay more to put the same thing onthe floor that we have for the last 4 years.

If you want the media Happy.

Bring in Fratello.

Let JT go.

Bring in some YOung Guys.

Teach them the Meaning of Basketball.

Groom one of them to be a star.

And let's get it.

What you are suggesting is that we overpay a guy because he is popular.

I think it's time for the JT/CC SNT to Miami for Wade/Jones.

Trade Theo for Something Young. Maybe to the Grizz for Battier/Lo.

I might consider 7yr/55M but I'm not sure about 6yr/55M. That seems like a bit much for JT. I don't want us to give him some huge contract because we are desparate. I'd rather SNT for Harpring or something and trade Nazr for a PG than have us restrained with that kind of contract on our cap.

He's worth it.

Andre Miller gets $51 million over 6 years. JT is better than he is.

Gilber Arenas got $65 million over 6 years. He's not yet as good as JT.

Jason Terry is easily worth $55 million over 6 years. I told you all a week ago that he should at least get what Richard Hamilton got, and Hamilton got a 7 year, $63 million deal from Detroit.