We should seriously consider trading Smith for a 5

JackB1

Quote:

I believe Sund has stated tha AL is a 5 that can play some 4. That means Smoove is our PF of the future. Smoove is the perfect PF compliment for AL.

Smith is not a perfect compliment for Al, in my opinion. Al Horford would play better next to a back to the basket player or atleast a player with ability to score around the basket. Someone with height so that our team won't consistently get taken advantage of. I think Josh Smith would play better with player if he didn't have to play the 4. Despite what many people might think, I believe Josh Smith could play the 3 in a year or so. He could play the position now defensively, although he isn't the best perimeter defender. You swap AK-47 out for J. Smith and Utah'll probably make it to the Finals next year.

Quote:

His game is more balanced than you imply. He takes a lot of jumpshots, that's not
all
he does. Even then, he shoots jumpshots better than J. Smith by a long shot. Smith is not more of a post option than Aldridge. Aldridge takes most of his shots around the basket, almost half of his shots. Aldridge has a more balanced offensive game, and is a better offensive player despite the 2 FT, and 1.5 assist advantage Smith may have on him. Besides, who says you have to be a back to the basket player to be a center ? You don't have to be a back to the basket player to be a post option either.

No one says that you do, but if someone wanted to get a center to let Al "shine" at the power forward position, I'd imagine they were implying a bruising center... otherwise Al is going to be guarded by centers still.

Aldridge doesn't take most of his shots around the basket. He takes 65% jump shots. That, by my estimation, is most of his shots. Smith takes slightly below 50% of his shots as jumpers.

The fact that he has a "better offensive game" doesn't mean he is more effective. I can understand if you like him but you haven't given a reason as to why he fits better other than to say that he is a post option (which he's not), and has potential (like Smith), and can score and rebound (as well or worse than Smith)... so why would we trade for him other than the fact that you like him better stylistically?

Quote:

Quote:

I believe Sund has stated tha AL is a 5 that can play some 4. That means Smoove is our PF of the future. Smoove is the perfect PF compliment for AL.

Smith is not a perfect compliment for Al, in my opinion. Al Horford would play better next to a back to the basket player or atleast a player with ability to score around the basket. Someone with height so that our team won't consistently get taken advantage of. I think Josh Smith would play better with player if he didn't have to play the 4. Despite what many people might think, I believe Josh Smith could play the 3 in a year or so. He could play the position now defensively, although he isn't the best perimeter defender. You swap AK-47 out for J. Smith and Utah'll probably make it to the Finals next year.

But thats my point, Aldridge takes fewer shots around that basket than Smith and is less accurate at taking them! He actually takes significantly fewer shots around there and is much less accurate at non-dunk shots from close.

That is a fact.

Quote:

Quote:

His game is more balanced than you imply. He takes a lot of jumpshots, that's not
all
he does. Even then, he shoots jumpshots better than J. Smith by a long shot. Smith is not more of a post option than Aldridge. Aldridge takes most of his shots around the basket, almost half of his shots. Aldridge has a more balanced offensive game, and is a better offensive player despite the 2 FT, and 1.5 assist advantage Smith may have on him. Besides, who says you have to be a back to the basket player to be a center ? You don't have to be a back to the basket player to be a post option either.

No one says that you do, but if someone wanted to get a center to let Al "shine" at the power forward position, I'd imagine they were implying a bruising center... otherwise Al is going to be guarded by centers still.

Aldridge doesn't take most of his shots around the basket. He takes 65% jump shots. That, by my estimation, is most of his shots. Smith takes slightly below 50% of his shots as jumpers.

The fact that he has a "better offensive game" doesn't mean he is more effective. I can understand if you like him but you haven't given a reason as to why he fits better other than to say that he is a post option (which he's not), and has potential (like Smith), and can score and rebound (as well or worse than Smith)... so why would we trade for him other than the fact that you like him better stylistically?

Because he's 6'11" with a 7'5" wingspan ?

Also, offensively, he is more effective. He shoots a higher FG%, FT %, pulls down more off. rebounds, and his TO/Asst ratio is about equal to J. Smith's. Even if he takes 65% jump shots, he still shoots them at a much higher position than J. Smith. I honestly think that number is closer to 55% or 60%.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

all

Also, offensively, he is more effective. He shoots a higher FG%, FT %, pulls down more off. rebounds, and his TO/Asst ratio is about equal to J. Smith's. Even if he takes 65% jump shots, he still shoots them at a much higher position than J. Smith. I honestly think that number is closer to 55% or 60%.

Well, it is 65%. You can check the stats. I guess we have different definitions of "effective". I think Smith's ability to score inside more often and at a higher rate (and get to the line) makes him more effective, not to mention the assists. You don't, thats fair.

I also know that Smith is a more effective defender, although you may like Aldridge's potential there.

I guess we will just leave it at a disagreement. I like Smith more because he is more effective now and is a better defender. You like Aldridge more because he is taller, has a longer wingspan, and takes/hits a lot more jumpers.

Quote:

Quote:

Although I think Smoove can play the 3 effectively, he's a damn good 22 year old PF. And If Al is gonna play the 5, which our GM is already stated he would.....he needs someone to protect the rim. Which Smoove, is the best in the league at doing.

Have you even checked the stats of PFs scoring in the paint.? You'll be suprised where Smoove ranks. But of course on this board, he's expected to be the impossible. As usual we undervalue our own and overvalue someone elses.

Quote:

When will people learn?

Our problem is not our starting PF and C. It's our DEPTH. As in when one/both of those guys come out, what we have in their place.

What our frontcourt lacks in size it makes up for with length and athleticism.

Horford as a raw offensive rookie was a top 15 C in this league. There is no reason why he can't become top 10.

There is no true 7 foot Center that you can consider elite in the entire Eastern conference so why do people think we need one of our own to compete?

We don't lose games because we lack a couple inches down low. We lose games when we play dumb basketball such as not moving around offensively, taking ill-advised shots, and not communicating defensively which results in all that switching and leaving guys wide open for easy layups or 3 pointers.

That goes back to coaching or the lack thereof. I said it once and I will say it again. Marvin and Smoove have alot of bad habits that Woody doesn't seem to care about. We need a new coach!!!!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

all

Well, it is 65%. You can check the stats. I guess we have different definitions of "effective". I think Smith's ability to score inside more often and at a higher rate (and get to the line) makes him more effective, not to mention the assists. You don't, thats fair.

I also know that Smith is a more effective defender, although you may like Aldridge's potential there.

I guess we will just leave it at a disagreement. I like Smith more because he is more effective now and is a better defender. You like Aldridge more because he is taller, has a longer wingspan, and takes/hits a lot more jumpers.

I think Aldridge will be a better post player than J. Smith, and he's already more effective offensively even if Smith gets to the line a few times more, Aldridge shoots a better %. J. Smith's assist mean nothing when he has just as many turnovers to go with it. Their assist/turnover ratio is about the same. He's already a better jumpshooter than Josh Smith. He pulls down more offensive rebounds, and has half the NBA experience Smith has. Aldridge, in my eyes, is clearly the better and more effective offensive player.

However, I don't like Aldridge more than Smith. Aldridge is a guy I would seriously consider trading (and probably would) Josh Smith for, but Josh Smith is the better player right (not by a lot though) now and could potentially be much better.

Quote:

When will people learn?

Our problem is not our starting PF and C. It's our DEPTH. As in when one/both of those guys come out, what we have in their place.

What our frontcourt lacks in size it makes up for with length and athleticism.

Horford as a raw offensive rookie was a top 15 C in this league. There is no reason why he can't become top 10.

There is no true 7 foot Center that you can consider elite in the entire Eastern conference so why do people think we need one of our own to compete?

We don't lose games because we lack a couple inches down low. We lose games when we play dumb basketball such as not moving around offensively, taking ill-advised shots, and not communicating defensively which results in all that switching and leaving guys wide open for easy layups or 3 pointers.

Actually our problem isn't our depth, our problem is knowing how to use our depth. Our bench isn't nearly as bad as they get credit for. They simply don't have defined rolls and receive irrational PT. We could get a better (in your eyes) bench in here but if they're continously used like they've been in the past than it really doesn't matter.

Good debate between Aldridge and Smoove fellas. Those are two young players in this league who are on the rise. Its good to have one of them on this team and he wants to be here in the future.

The Aldridge for Smoove trade would not take place right now. Because Aldridge perfect front court mate is playing this season. For everything Aldridge is Oden is not and vice versa. Oden will be the defensive presence while Alridge will provide most of the offense. His game also will give Oden room to post up in the paint.

Portland has constructed the perfect compliment to its players in the front court and back court. Bayless coming in to the league has questions about his point guards skills. Well who better to pair up with than a two guard who started at PG effectively for the Blazers in the past. Roy has great ball skills and will take pressure off the rookie. It will allow him to play his game and not worry about turnovers.

For all this talk about what Horford and Smoove are not and can't be there should be more talk about what they did and will do. They took on the entire league last season and never backed down. They may have lost some battles but that only brought them closer and made them work harder for each other. Its time we as fans be grateful of having one of the youngest,explosive, dynamic, hungry and hard working front courts in the NBA. We are truely lucky to have both of these players.

Now Sund must get them some help off the bench because ZaZa isn't the answer defensively. What is the chance Mutumbo would sign here for a season? What about Theo Ratliff? Jarvis Hayes and Dik would help this team off the bench tremendously.