Will Josh Smit sit on his contract?

Plainview1981

Josh has been known to have games where he doesn't play with 100%. When you consider that he is homeless (by NBA standards) is giving 12+ million to this guy really a good idea? What makes people think he'll give max effort with his pockets full when he doesn't do it with his pockets empty? In 2 or 3 years it could come down to looking back like we do at Speedy now and wished he wouldn't have been re-signed.

When JJ was brought over, he had goals of being higher on the option chart and wanted to "prove what he could do". I'm not sure JS has these kind of goals. Just think, he has been in the league for 3 or 4 years now and he still hasn't improved this jumpshot. Maybe a S&T is the best option.

we need josh back man trust me. 1 he's a very vauble 2. he gets better each year 3. he our second highest scorer on the team. 4. has good d 5. the only thing he does too much is take inconsistent shots if he calms that down and just score what he can and not be so aggressive to take shots he shouldnt take, he will soon be all-star material.

I for 1 thinks smith knows he takes bad shots and expect him to calm that down the upcoming seasons, starting this year. He's only 22, he gets better every year and this year he will simply be better ,he's not going to just all of a sudden start sucking he's too good for that. speedy just had injury problems but looking at his stats he wasnt even that impressive, decent but not all-star material like bibby or someone. J smoove is worth what ever it takes, childress too.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Josh has been known to have games where he doesn't play with 100%. When you consider that he is homeless (by NBA standards) is giving 12+ million to this guy really a good idea? What makes people think he'll give max effort with his pockets full when he doesn't do it with his pockets empty? In 2 or 3 years it could come down to looking back like we do at Speedy now and wished he wouldn't have been re-signed.

When JJ was brought over, he had goals of being higher on the option chart and wanted to "prove what he could do". I'm not sure JS has these kind of goals. Just think, he has been in the league for 3 or 4 years now and he still hasn't improved this jumpshot. Maybe a S&T is the best option.

Our Need for Josh is more than just on the court. We need to show the world that we're serious about winning in Atlanta. IN the NBA that means doing what it takes to sign your own free agents... especially those as young and as potential filled as Smoove.

Quote:

When JJ came over, everybody thought it was about getting more money and respect. I'm pretty sure most NBA players want more money and respect.

As far as "not giving 100%", there are games when Joe settles for way too many fadeaways instead of attacking the rim (the entire first half of the season he was slow on D, lazy on offense, AND bitching about how he didn't have enough help). When Joe does it, we say "he's tired and needs help". Josh is our only effective defender, and say what you want about him but he is our only statistically significant defender, and second option on offense, but he's not allowed to get tired like Joe?

There is always the concern that giving a player a contract will make him lazy. Does that mean you don't give out contracts? No, you look and see if the player has put in the time and effort to improve. Has Josh done this? Well you mention his jumpshot, which hasn't improved. What about his post game, handles, passing, awareness, and defense? What about the strength training he's obviously done? If he hadn't worked on his game, he'd be Tyrus Thomas or Gerald Green or something. Give the guy a little credit or you just look biased.

He is a tireless worker and going off of comments like the one Marvin made post-game during the Celtics series where he said something like when Josh Smith says he is going to do something he is going to do it and nobody is going to stop him. That's what I REALLY love about Josh's game, that he wants to be the best and he wants to prove everyone wrong.