• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Brand To Philly is a Greta move for Philly...but

b3bawla

I think this is a great move for Philly. But does anybody think it's a bit risky to throw that type of money on a player who is just coming off a major injury. Brand's always been tough and never considered injury prone, but he's 254 pounds and just had a major ankle injury (ruptured Achilles tendon). Dan Marino never threw 30 TD's after his. I think Nique popped his as well.

Can anybody think of any success or failure stories of star players coming back a from ruptures (not just strained like VC) Achilles tendon?

The point is this...Brand isn't young at 29 (isn't old either though) and while he's in great shape, he carries a lot of weight. Can his surgically repaired Achilles hold up? A better question may be will he have confidence in it? Another question we could ask is will he injure another body part compensating for discomfort of lack of explosiveness that could come his way. And foot/ ankle injuries for Bigs can end careers. I'm thinking about Bill Walton and Rik Smits...It almost ended Ilgauskis' (sp?) Come to think of it...I think that the injury that robbed Arvydas Sabonis of mobility and started his back troubles was a torn Achilles.

I think there is a least a decent chance that the 20/10 Brand is a thing of the past. He's always been surprisingly explosive. If he loses that explosiveness...at his height...he really may take a step back.

I think he'll still be a good player...but I was just letting my mind wander. This is definitely a high risk, high reward move...Any thoughts guys?

Quote:

Didn't Nique rupture his achilles when he was over 30?

Came back, was leading us to the championship and was traded by Babcock.

43% shooting on 21 shots a game wasn't leading us anywhere. '93-94 was all about Mookie's career year with a little Kevin Willis on the side.