• Current Donation Goals

• Raised 390.00 USD of 700.00 USD target

The Clippers and Reality

tmac13

First of all the most likely scenario is the Clips trying to lowball Smoove and the Hawks simply matching. However if they do offer an unbelievable contract that the Hawks don't feel they can match they will not be offering Kaman in a SNT deal. Kaman is a top 5 or 6 center in the entire NBA and offering him for Smoove simply makes no sense for the Clips. Looking at their roster the option the Hawks might be able to work is their rookies. Eric Gordon and DeAndre Jordan. Gordon would be a nice fit for the Hawks as he is a deadly shooter that could pair nicely in the backcourt with either JJ or Bibby. He is a bigger version of Salim that actually plays defense. Jordan is raw but has a huge wingspan and alot of development potential. He was projected as a mid first rounder but slipped as the draft approached and the Clips grabbed him in the 2nd round. I thought at the time he might be the steal of the entire draft..Taking back a couple of rookie contracts would allow the Hawks to resign Chillz and still have enough left to pursue a starting 4 or 5. Thoughts?

All we would have is the $5.86 MLE to spend on a starting center. That $18 mill under the tax can't be spent on other teams players just our own FAs. So its not like we can sign Chillz for $6 mill and throw $11 mill at Okefor or Bedrinas.

Brown and Elson are bigs we could get for the MLE or maybe even 1/2 the MLE. However, I don't consider Brown and Elson starter quality for a playoff team but they are ideal to fit into a front court rotation.

Quote:

When do we expect an offer to be made?

The Clipps will probably want to talk to Okafor before they actually make Smith an offer. Then they have to make Smith an offer that is big enough to make him want to leave Atlanta. Considering they just let their franchise player walk i am not too concerned about that happening.

It will probably take awhile for this to play out completely.

We don't have any leverage at all if the offer's not matched. The only way a SNT happens is if the Clippers think that ASG will match the offer. Even if it does don't expect anything of value as more than likely the deal will involve picks and a low level player. Getting Kaman or Gordon is a pipe dream.

Tim Thomas and Cutino Mobley would likely be a comprimise.

I think paying Josh Smith 75 million over 5 years (which is what it will take to scare off the ASG) is fiscal suicide but then again hey, this is the NBA we're talking about here.

Tim Thomas is better than Pachulia and Mobley gives us some shooting, although his %s are sometimes on the low side.

I'm not proposing we trade Josh Smith for Mobley and Tim Thomas, however I think you're being somewhat rash when you suggest letting him walk for nothing in return would net us more wins.

• Premium Member

Quote:

We don't have any leverage at all if the offer's not matched. The only way a SNT happens is if the Clippers think that ASG will match the offer. Even if it does don't expect anything of value as more than likely the deal will involve picks and a low level player. Getting Kaman or Gordon is a pipe dream.

We have all the leverage. Smoove is ours to lose. Period. Nobody can "take" him for us because we can match.

IF LAC is desperate for Smoove, they offer, we match, then if they really want him, they will come to the dealing table. SO just like Smoove is hoping that Okafor doesn't sign with LAC, LAC is hoping that Okafor doesn't sign elsewhere.. because between Okafor and Smoove, Okafor seems like he would be easier to get.