• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Azubuike would have a larger impact than Chillz/MW

HAWKS1986

Azubuike would be a great addition to the Hawks. A versatile player who can play multiple positions, and is better than Marvin and/or Chillz and can backup Joe Johnson if needed and play small forward occasionally... He isn't clumsy and tentative going to the basket like Marvin and has better three point shooting range than Chillz and Marvin. And he is more assertive than either Marvin and Chillz...

SIGN Azubuike...

340x.jpg

Quote:

Kelenna Azubuike opted out of his deal with the Golden State Warriors and is currently fielding interest from "plenty of teams," he told HOOPSWORLD.

"My agent's taking care of all that," Azubuike said just prior to a workout at Joe Abunassar's Impact Basketball in Las Vegas. Although he chose not to get into specific teams that he's heard from, Azubuike admitted that Warriors are just one of many options has.

Azubuike, who made a league minimum $687,456 last season, explained his decision to opt out as nothing more than a business decision. "There's no harm in it," he said. "Trying to get out and get more money." Azubuike is eligible for a new deal that starts close to $800,000 should he sign another minimum deal, but is looking for a team's share of the Mid-Level Extension.

During his workout, Azubuike worked with Abunassar almost exclusively on his shooting, knocking down jumpers off the dribble and also focused on catch-and-shoot drills. He was knocking down everything he took and looked like he has really improved his shot over the past three weeks while training at Impact Basketball.

Coincidentally, the Lakers' Summer League coaching staff and Raptors' Team President Brian Colangelo and Director of Global Scouting Masai Ujiri were in the gym. Before any rumors gets started and in the interest of full disclosure, neither team was there for the expressed interest of seeing Azubuike work out, but it doesn't hurt Azubuike to have such a nice workout in front of NBA teams.

In any case, the interest in Azubuike is understandable considering his solid performance with the Warriors last season, as he averaged 8.5 points and 4.0 rebounds per game while shooting .445 from the field. Azubuike is known around the league as a stellar athlete and a gym rat who puts in a lot of time into his body, including a strict nutrition regimen to go along with his workouts.

Because of his athleticism and his improving shooting ability, Azubuike almost certainly will land with another NBA team. With the big names off the board and teams understanding exactly how much money they have to play with and on whom they can spend it, he'll likely find a home in the not-too-distant future.

I respectfully disagree. Kelenna brings more to the table than either Marvin or Chillz...

Kelenna is a stronger defender and fits the Hawks run and gun style moreso than Chillz and Marvin who play more reluctant on both the offensive and defensive end.

Kelenna would be a steal....

Kelenna can guard anybody... and can have the same affect that a Bruce Bowen has had with the Spurs...

340x.jpg

610x.jpg

Quote:

"Los Lakers"?

The NBA had some promotional thing trying to drum up interest in the league among a fast-growing market, Hispanic immigrants.

A bunch of teams wore jersey like that. I thought it was kind of silly, but you know that David of ours...

Quote:

I am not sure he is better then either Marvin or Chill, but he would fit a need.

What is up with Kobe's jersey in the picture you posted? "Los Lakers"?

Azubuike is a player. I plays with intensity to go along with skills. I would deal Marvin for him straight up.

Azubuike

Kwame

Morris

will make the summer, a wrap. It would cost more than the cap but it is worth it.

Azubuike wants to gets paid, but I believe WANTS to be good--not just get by... I think his time in the NBA development league has help to improve his NBA 'character', and he can be an energy player for the Hawks, but is capable of being a consistent impact starter for the Hawks.

Azubuike, in my opinion, doesn't play scared and if he sees an opening toward the basket, he isn't going trip over his feet like Marvin or have his shot blocked going for a dunk like Chillz..

Acquiring Kelenna may be a low key move, but it would change the Hawks more into that young, athletic, aggressive team when you add Horford, JSmith and JJ together...

340x.jpg

This is a "the grass is always greener" argument.

Azubuike isnt better than either of Marvin or Chill. He'd be a great addition to our bench, but not at the expense of losing Marv or Chill. The trick is to ADD guys like that to what we already have, not give up key players in the process.

I've liked Azubuike since he was at KY and I'd love to have him here but certainly not at the expense of Marvin or Chillz. As an UNRESTRICTED FA, if he were ANYWHERE NEAR as good as Chillz, he would have MULTIPLE offers on the table right now. If Chillz were unrestricted, he would probably have had 10 offers for teams' full MLE by now. Are all the other GMs in the league blind? I don't think so.

he's not better than our own guys....BUT

if we can sign him, Kwame Brown, and a shooter, it would be a heck of a offseason...don't want randolph morris, especially if we get brown....

but Azubuike still has room to improve as well....

Bibby/Law/Craig

JJ/Azabuke/free agent shooter

Marvin/Chill/free agent shooter

JSmith/Horford

Horford/Zaza/Brown

round out with richardson and Solo (or someone from summer league like gardner or whoever)

I must toot my own horn a little here and say that I couldn't figure out why no one had interest in Azubuike outta KY, I would have drafted him in the second for sure.

That made it even more maddening for me when he was playing so well with GS. I'm not sure that he isn't as good as Chillz but he's gonna cost nearly as much now. We blew it (as did everyone else) not getting him out of college and locking him up for a few yrs. Now he'll cost about what Chillz will so why bother with the risk that he just look good in GS's weird system.

I thought Azuibuke was unrestricted (for some reason I thought he opted out of his contract) but I think he is definitely worth 3 yrs/$9M. If I'm GS, I'm matching that but I'll bet they don't with Jax, Ellis and Magette all looking for time at the 2/3.