• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I Think It's All a Ruse

TheDude

I think this is a brilliant ploy by chill's agent to get the Hawks to up the contract amount a bit more. I think they will and I think Chill will stay here.

I also think that we'll sign Smoove shortly.

I just think that both Josh's are ready to get this over with, especially Smith.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think this is a brilliant ploy by chill's agent to get the Hawks to up the contract amount a bit more. I think they will and I think Chill will stay here.

I just think that both Josh's are ready to get this over with, especially Smith.

Can't be because all of the alarmist on the board would have to do too much back-tracking. All of the Sund/ASG are a Moron post will mean nothing! We can't let this happen because it would make the MB members look like morons!

From Walker's blog:

Remember, it was SEPTEMBER 11, 2003 when Jason Terry finally found a team to make him an offer that was worth signing.

I am sure the players are frustrated---not many players like to have this kind of stuff out there---they want to leave the money and the drama to the guys they pay to handle the money and the drama and they want to be sure they are not underpaid, but mostly---they just want to play basketball.

It's this last point that's interesting about Childress---It doesn't really ring true that he would be willing to defer his NBA career--and his basketball goals---to go overseas when he can get comparable money in the NBA, even if he has to wait or get it elsewhere. Yup-he wants to play big minutes as we recall from last December's free agent conversation, but that's not something that happens a lot in Europe anyway.

Also, I can't believe he'll leave the league he has grown up watching and dreaming about to play with a closer 3-pt line and wider lanes. It doesn't fit.

But it doesn't mean it isn't a brilliant negotiation tactic. And it even had me doing the head scratching thing and starting to visualize a headline that would surely throw the NBA and it's system into a David Stern tizzy.

It definitely got the Hawks talking about the process, which indicates it's effectiveness. So maybe things will speed up, but I am not counting on it.

• Premium Member

The problem is that it's NOT comparable money.

Childress would make ~$20M U.S., but that's NET, not GROSS.

In other words, Olympiakos is going to put $20M U.S. directly into Childress' pockets next year. For a U.S. team to do that, they would have to pay him somewhere closer to, if not more than, $30M U.S. to account for taxes on income.

Childress isn't worth $10M/year to the Hawks, or any U.S. team.

Quote:

The problem is that it's NOT comparable money.

Childress would make ~$20M U.S., but that's NET, not GROSS.

In other words, Olympiakos is going to put $20M U.S. directly into Childress' pockets next year. For a U.S. team to do that, they would have to pay him somewhere closer to, if not more than, $30M U.S. to account for taxes on income.

Childress isn't worth $10M/year to the Hawks, or any U.S. team.

That 20mil. Is in Greece (outside of the US). If Josh every brings it here, the IRS will tax it.

Are u sure about this? I'm pretty sure there are deductions and even full exemptions for US citizens residing overseas, so they don't have to incur a duel tax burden.

I believe you have to live in the country that you earned your income for X number of days out of the calendar year and be paying taxes in that country, which technically Chillz would qualify for (the income is taxable, its just that the team will pay it).

Quote:

I think so. They shall have some authentic Gyro's and Octopus, jump over to Milan and get some shoes. After, Sign the Hawks contract.

• Premium Member

Quote:

That 20mil. Is in Greece (outside of the US). If Josh every brings it here, the IRS will tax it.

It's definitely taxable.

However, Olympiakos has reportedly agreed to PAY those taxes above and beyond the $20M U.S. they're giving him as a salary.

Quote:

that isn't how it works

everything over 88k made overseas is taxable, even if u never bring it to the US, if u are an American citizen

so he pays taxes no matter what

however, Greeks are covering that as well

Quote:

This is my belief as well. Many fans forget that its the agents who drive this process. So if there are rumors floating around its made up by the agents not the player. I'm sure Chillz and Smoove are ready to get settled but there agents are the ones handling this process they know nothing about.

Quote:

Quote:

that isn't how it works

everything over 88k made overseas is taxable, even if u never bring it to the US, if u are an American citizen

so he pays taxes no matter what

however, Greeks are covering that as well

i thought the greeks are covering GREEK taxes. i never heard any mention of them also covering US taxes

Remember, he could do something like the girl from the WNBA did. She was runner up in the WNBA MVP voting last season, but was not a lock for the U.S. Olympic team so she was fast-tracked application for Russian citizenship to live and play for the Russian Olympic team. She's born and raised in the U.S., but will be playing for Russia in the Olympics because she's changed her citizenship.

Chillz could simply apply as for citizenship in Greece and not be subject to taxation. Do the math. Taxes on $20 million US is well worth changing citizenship. The government would get almost 1/2 that!

You might very well be right about this being just a very elaborate ruse. I noticed they left themselves an out: according to the original source "Report is the only way Childress does not play in Greece next year is if "something totally unforeseen happens from here on out". Well, something totally unforeseen could be just about anything- a contract extension from the Hawks, an S&T or whatever.

Also, in the article up on Yahoo, what I'm assuming is this same source (probably the agent or someone affiliated with him, I'm assuming) claims that the odds of Childress actually signing in Greece are "better than 50-50". Well whoopity-doo, way to go out on a limb. Had he said better than 90%, then I'd definitely be worried. But better than 50-50 could mean just about anything, from a 51% chance all the way on up to 100%.

It very well might be a ruse to try and force the issue and get things moving. Whatever, it's definitely got people talking.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Can't be because all of the alarmist on the board would have to do too much back-tracking. All of the Sund/ASG are a Moron post will mean nothing! We can't let this happen because it would make the MB members look like morons!

The problem with your "high road" routine... and why it fails to calm anybody...

Is that this is our 4th offseason with ASG.

We seen how slow to act they are.

We have seen how we have missed out on good free agents because they can't come to an agreement.

We have seen how we had to settle for Kenny Anderson's and Kevin Willis' and Lo Wright's because the market dried up in our deliberateness.

Moreover, those other teams you referenced...

They're trying to sign other free agents before they sign their own.

They have cap space.

We don't.

We can only used our MLE to bring in a player. That doesn't change weather or not Chillz and Smoove or signed.

Moreover, how do you explain phone tag with their agents?

Many of us realize this thing. If it's important you get it done.

So you guys can save your SMUG, BS, "This is all normal" talk. You will watch the 2004 draft become nothing before your eyes.