• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Were there really no other suitors?

BigDirty

I don't know how credible this guy is, but what he writes is in conflict with an earlier report that said, that no other team offered Childress even the MLE. The article features some quotes from Childress about playing in Greece, so I guess it has to be somewhat true.

Quote:

[...]

According to Josh Childress, there were championship-contending NBA teams that were willing to pay him more than the Hawks would. A sign-and-trade couldn't be worked out, so Childress was stuck.

[...]

Link

In this case, I believe they are referring to the Spurs. The Spurs probably contracted Childress about numbers for a contract, and they might have even gotten a good number for a contract that Childress would agree to. But, in a SnT the Spurs had to work with Sund and I imagine Sund was not willing to do a deal, essentailly screwing Childress but protecting the Hawks by not taking on unwanted/needed parts.

I imagine no team offered Childress the MLE because he told them he would not sign for less than that, and even if they did offer him the MLE the Hawks were certain to match and that would tie up that team's MLE for 7 days waiting on the Hawks to match.

Well I'm sure there were offers for SnTs. There always are. Most probably aren't realistic though.

Once Chil got the contract offer from the Greeks, any team that wanted Chil to agree to play for them would at least have to offer something competitive to that.

We know teams wanted Childress but if they didn't want to pay big bucks for him, there is nothing we could do in terms of SnTs.

If it was the Spurs I hope they only offered total crap cause I think they actually have some cheap players that could've been useful to us. Something like Oberto or Mason (+ Udoka or Mahinmi, depending on Chillz contract) would've worked with Chillz BYC status right?

Mason could not be involved in a deal because he just signed a contract, Spurs need to wait until Dec. 15th before they could trade him.

Oberto makes $3.6 million, Bonner $3 mil, Vaughn $1.3 mil, Udoka $1 mil, Mahinmi 860k.

It all depends on what Childress' contract started at. If it was $7 million, then we could only take back 125% +100k of $3.5 mil (so $4.475 mil). Mix and match with those guys above and we could only get Oberto and Mahinmi (I don't know who he is, if he just signed a contract we couldn't get him or if he was drafted we couldn't get him). So just mix and match, but I hope I have explained it well enough to get the picture.

EDIT: Sorry, but from San Antonio's perspective they must give away at least $5.5 million in order to be within 125% + 100k, so nothing could work in this scenario. We need to have more salary involved to get both of our 125%+100k to be within the same range.

Thanks. But Sund and the ASG are so slow that they would've needed until December to fax the trade papers to the league office anyway, so Mason could've been very well included in the trade. wink.gif

Mahinmi is their french center that they parked in the D-League for most of last year.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Oberto + 1st rounder is a fair deal.

But not one that would've worked under the CBA.

Childress + Zaza -for- Oberto and stuff might've worked, but I don't blame the ASG for being squimish if that was the offer...

Quote:

Quote:

Oberto + 1st rounder is a fair deal.

But not one that would've worked under the CBA.

Childress + Zaza -for- Oberto and stuff might've worked, but I don't blame the ASG for being squimish if that was the offer...

Besides, what do we need another PF for. Between Smoove and Horf, where would he get minutes. We'd have a 3-million dollar player taking Solo's spot on the pine.