• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Did Y'all See The Ajc Poll?

Cwell

It says:

Should the Hawks pay Josh Smith what the market has dictated, which appears to be anywhere from $60-72 million?

It's currently 86% yes,14% no

It should even be a bigger disparity than that especially with the way the question is phrased "what the market has dictated"

In other words, we wouldn't even be overpaying the guy.

There are so many reasons to re-sign Josh Smith it angers me every time I think about the fact that we still haven't signed this guy and may risk losing him

Man I hope they send this to the ASG.

That's the whole point. A poster in Sekou's blog this morning asked if they could make a poll and shove it at the ASG and Sekou responded saying he'll ask the "big guy upstairs" or whatever aka his boss.

That's the whole point. A poster in Sekou's blog this morning asked if they could make a poll and shove it at the ASG and Sekou responded saying he'll ask the "big guy upstairs" or whatever aka his boss.

I read that this morning and I'm glad he followed through with it.

By Sekou K. Smith

July 30, 2008 8:23 AM | Link to this

The back and forth here has been some of the best we’ve had in the four years this blog has been in existence, so I don’t want to get in the way of that passionate discourse. But …

I take offense to the divide and conquer tactics employed by some (we’re family here, dysfunctional sometimes but family for sure). There are no camps here. This is one big camp of hoops heads and we’ve agreed to disagree many times before. There’s nothing novel about that.

What I can tell you is that for all of our bluster about what should, could or would be done in regards to the Hawks and a conclusion (good or bad) to this Josh Smith saga, there is nothing.

They’re not even talking right now about negotiating anything. The Hawks have made clear where they are ($9 million a year is the only formal offer that’s ever been made) and the Smith camp has made clear where they are (more than that but certainly less than the max).

The real question is where do we go from here?

I’m out of easy answers

Sekou update.....

PLEASE....the people haven't "spoken" until they buy some tickets. Nothing worse than the people talking about paying Smoove $12M a year when the go to 2 Hawks games per year and sit in the cheap seats. That $12M has to come from somewhere.

Ticket sales have been rising at a steady rate for the past 4-5 years. Up from comically low (last in the league by a LOT) to around 86% attendance which is tied for 19th in the league.

They don't. They're really bordering on Sterling-status if their two biggest moves in the offseason was Randolph Morris and Mo Evans while letting the Joshes go.

At least Sterling brought in Baron Davis and offered Brand a reasonable salary. Then went out and found Camby on the cheap showing a nice back up plan that probably came about on the fly.

If the ASG are only offering Smoove $9 mill it is a down right shame. I can see where they were coming from with the Chillz situation. However, this is just not right with Smoove.

A 6'2'' combo guard, Ellis, signs for 6 years $66 mill.

Deng is talking about a 6 year $70 mill deal

Okefor gets 7 / $72 mill

Bedrinas gets 6 / $64 mill

Bogut get 6 / $60 mill guaranteed with $12 mill in incentives

Iggy and the 76ers are rumored to be close

Meanwhile, Smith is offered 6 years and $57 mill and our local Hawks reporter says the 2 parties are not even negotiating any more. This is beyond Sterling bad. The ASG are officially a joke ! If they continue to go down this course they would have wore out their welcome in 4 short years. Wow !..............and I am even a die hard loyalist saying these things.

Lamar Odom (30) for Smoove (22)............PLEASE NO !

Prince and Amir or Maxielle.............PLEASE NO !

We gave the Pistons R. Wallace on the cheap 5 years ago. Now we want to hand them a 22 year old Josh Smith ! Say it ain't true. Wake me up and tell me its a bad dream ! Are we the official farm team of the Detroit Pistons now ?

The Laker get Gasol on the cheap and now may get Smoove on the cheap too !

It is so hard being a Atlanta sports fan right now ! Radio stations say Atlanta sports fan are bad. I would argue that Atlanta's sports franchises are much worse right now then the fans.

OK I feel a little bit better now. Not much, but a little.

Edited by coachx

The real question is where do we go from here?

I’m out of easy answers

Sounds like a SnT will be the only way that this thing gets resolved. What's curious to me is that the ASG made a quality offer to Childress, they traded for Bibby's huge contract, and have done nothing to prove that they won't spend money and yet they are seemingly undervaluing Josh Smith. I'm really not certain that it's about them being cheap, I'm starting to think that they simply don't believe he is worth more than 9 million. A 6 year deal with 10% raises that starts at 9 million would look like this, right?

9.00 million

9.90 million

10.80 million

11.70 million

12.60 million

13.50 million

Total over 6 years is roughly 67 million. Are those numbers correct? If so, that's what we have been talking about all along as far as what contract we should try and sign him to.

Sounds like a SnT will be the only way that this thing gets resolved. What's curious to me is that the ASG made a quality offer to Childress, they traded for Bibby's huge contract, and have done nothing to prove that they won't spend money and yet they are seemingly undervaluing Josh Smith. I'm really not certain that it's about them being cheap, I'm starting to think that they simply don't believe he is worth more than 9 million. A 6 year deal with 10% raises that starts at 9 million would look like this, right?

9.00 million

9.90 million

10.80 million

11.70 million

12.60 million

13.50 million

Total over 6 years is roughly 67 million. Are those numbers correct? If so, that's what we have been talking about all along as far as what contract we should try and sign him to.

What's with the starting 9 Mill? Didn't you see that the ASG offered (rumored) 6 years and $57 mill... that's about 9 mill per year... not 9 mill starting salary.

If Josh is offered 6 years for 67 mill... I don't see how he turn it down.